Anyone into hot peppers?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Lefty Writer
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Anyone into hot peppers?

Post by Lefty Writer »

secure wrote:In addition to that make sure you dont handle them and then go to the bathroom. You will only do that once, hopefully.
We were eating at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants and they had those "chile torreados," which are essentially a jalepeno pepper that's been grilled and then rolled in lime juice and salt. VERY good on fajitas! Anyway, I handled a few of them with my fingers, so when I got home I made sure to wash my hands with lots of soap and water.

When I was satisfied that my hands were sufficiently washed, I then proceeded to change my contacts.

WRONG!

My eyes lit up and it wasn't fun for a while. After that, I only touch those things with a fork, NOT bare hands.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by WildBill »

secure wrote:I think the scale puts the Chile Pequin around 30-60k scoville area.
The ghost pepper is not an enjoyable experience if you ask me but its one to mark off the bucket list.
I have seen this chart before, but I still think the chile pequin is hotter, but I am not that interested that I am going to do any experiments. ;-) I am sure that the strain of the plant and the growing conditions affect the heat.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by WildBill »

Lefty Writer wrote:
secure wrote:In addition to that make sure you dont handle them and then go to the bathroom. You will only do that once, hopefully.
We were eating at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants and they had those "chile torreados," which are essentially a jalepeno pepper that's been grilled and then rolled in lime juice and salt. VERY good on fajitas! Anyway, I handled a few of them with my fingers, so when I got home I made sure to wash my hands with lots of soap and water.

When I was satisfied that my hands were sufficiently washed, I then proceeded to change my contacts.

WRONG!

My eyes lit up and it wasn't fun for a while. After that, I only touch those things with a fork, NOT bare hands.
Ouch!! That must have hurt real bad. :mad5
NRA Endowment Member

Lefty Writer

Post by Lefty Writer »

No, it wasn't fun....at all!

I honestly think it hurt worse than the CS gas when we did our "mask confidence" drill at Ft. Riley.

WEC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WEC »

WildBill wrote:
secure wrote:I think the scale puts the Chile Pequin around 30-60k scoville area.
The ghost pepper is not an enjoyable experience if you ask me but its one to mark off the bucket list.
I have seen this chart before, but I still think the chile pequin is hotter, but I am not that interested that I am going to do any experiments. ;-) I am sure that the strain of the plant and the growing conditions affect the heat.
WildBill, in no way am I denigrating the pequins but I have had both, and I can say without a doubt that ghost peppers are hotter. Habaneros are the hottest I had before the ghost peppers, but habaneros are a delayed but intense heat. Ghost peppers run the entire spectrum - quick, super intense, long lasting, and deep. It is definitely NOT an enjoyable experience. I love and eat jalapenos until the cows come home and habaneros are still relatively enjoyable. But ghost peppers, as Secure said, are just something to cross off the bucket list. That is, if it doesn't make it the LAST thing you do on the bucket list. :lol:
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 5

Post by PUCKER »

I too am a fan of jalapenos and habaneros and have *yet* to try a ghost pepper...someday I will. I always wondered if there were any locally, especially if any of the local restaurants had them/used them. I've gotta tell you that the spiciest food I've had to date has been Thai, and I always want it "Thai hot" (that's what most of the Thai folks running the place call the hottest and the always ask, "you sure?")...and I LOVE it. I've had some spicy Indian food...but probably not THE SPICIEST - which would probably incorporate the ghost pepper....hmmmmm.....where's a large glass of milk?

Regarding dealing with peppers and then other body parts - I've cut jalapenos and then wiped the sweat off of my brow...the juice made it's way into the eyeballs...still remember that one! When I make chili for the occasional chili cookoff I incorporate a HEAPING amount of peppers of all kinds...and yes, ALOT of habaneros. I prefer to "suffer for my art" and I cut and handle the peppers bare-handed...I tell you that it's an intense feeling, my hands will burn for a few days. Not in too painful of a way, but in a different way.

budroux2w
Posts in topic: 3

Post by budroux2w »

I've smelled one before but that's about as close as I got because that made my eyes water bad enough. A buddy of mine that grew them actually made some beer with them.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
secure
Posts in topic: 8

Post by secure »

He made beer with a ghost pepper? How did it taste?

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

budroux2w wrote:I've smelled one before but that's about as close as I got because that made my eyes water bad enough. A buddy of mine that grew them actually made some beer with them.
Nice! I bet that was wickedly hot. My favorite brewery does a pepper beer called Wildfire, and once you get past the initial shock of what it is, and the burn that proceeds down your throat, it's actually a darn good beer. I had it pre-heat drop and it made ya sweat a bit.
Wildfire: This beer, previously an ale, has been changed to a lager for a smoother flavor, and the heat has been dropped about 25%. This is a malty lager that blends well with the peppers (habenero, serrano, jalepeno, Mexican red, hot yellow, roasted poblano and roasted anahiem).
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1169/23991

The last review on this page is probably a good, accurate write-up. :smilelol5:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

I haven't tried his brew and probably won't :lol:: He said "it wasn't bad"
NRA Life Member

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

I had a Jalapeno Scotch Ale at the Bluebonnet Brewoff a few years back, it was a homebrew...and it was GOOOOOD, if not great!

I'd give the ghost pepper beer a shot! :cheers2:

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

PUCKER wrote:I had a Jalapeno Scotch Ale at the Bluebonnet Brewoff a few years back, it was a homebrew...and it was GOOOOOD, if not great!

I'd give the ghost pepper beer a shot! :cheers2:
I might just have to see if he's got any left. He's down in College Station and I've been itching for a road trip lately.
NRA Life Member

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

That would be awesome! :cheers2:

Kiowa Scout
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kiowa Scout »

Hey guys FYI, Chile Pequins and the Chiletepins from the chart are the same pepper. This is one of those cases in which a regional name gets used in place of the standard name.
I had an interesting experience one time while living near Sinton. I had shot a wild turkey. I decided to make some chicken fried turkey breasts. When I began to eat the meat, it was almost too hot to enjoy. I tried to figure out what was going on, because I had not added any spicy seasoning to the flour mixture. The only thing that I figured out was that the turkeys had been eating the wild chiletepins that were along the creek behind my house.

I used to work in the restaurant industry as a cook and trainer. I too have burned my eyes from putting in contacts with residual pepper oils on them. I learned a neat trick on how to get rid of the pepper oils from your hands. If you have access to anything made of stainless steel like a sink or faucet, while your are washing your hands, lather them up really good with soap and then rub your hands over the stainless steel. This reaction will eliminate most of the leftover pepper oils. FWIW, there are some restaurant supply stores that carry stainless steel bars for this purpose as well as the removal of onion and garlic smells from your hands.
"They all handle the sword and are expert in war; every man has his sword on his thigh, that fear be not excited in the night" Song of Solomon 3:8

Lefty Writer

Post by Lefty Writer »

Kiowa Scout wrote:<snip>
I had an interesting experience one time while living near Sinton. <snip>
Small world! I went to high school in Odem. At the time, Odem was still dry (egad!), so we had to drive to Sinton if we wanted any "adult beverages."

Return to “Off-Topic”