Anyone into hot peppers?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Anyone into hot peppers?

Post by WildBill »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:
WildBill wrote:
OldCurlyWolf wrote:
WildBill wrote:
hoot wrote:In 1972, I worked with a very cheerful engineer named Larry Johnson.
Larry loved jalapeñas and he kept a one gallon jar of jalapeñas and
onions and carrots on his kitchen counter.
I should have stayed away from the carrots!... :cryin
Hoot
They do have a bit of a kick, but I really like the carrots.
Love the carrots. Crunchy, sweet and spicy. "rlol"
It too bad they don't sell just the carrots!
Hot Carrots
Thanks. I have never seen them in the store. I will go looking next time.
NRA Endowment Member

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sugar land dave »

WildBill wrote:Thanks. I have never seen them in the store. I will go looking next time.
Bill, I should have known you'd like the hot stuff. I'll admit a tasty jalapeno is a nice garnish on a plate.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Pug
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pug »

Lefty Writer wrote:I was raised eating jalepeno and serrano peppers...
Ya lightweight... :evil2:

Some of the best 'mid-range' sauces ever recipe'd are in the TX-based :mad5 "Hell on the Red" line.

74novaman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 74novaman »

Lefty Writer wrote:I was raised eating jalepeno and serrano peppers...
I'm growing both of those in my garden right now! Wanted a habanero pepper too but the wife said we'd never eat them all....guess I need to do some tongue training with the serranos! :reddevil :reddevil
TANSTAAFL

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I made a post in 74novaman's "Great Night to Grill!" thread about Busha Browne's Jerk Seasoning. It is pretty hot stuff, but also has lots of interesting flavors. The second main ingredient of this Jerk seasoning is Scotch bonnet peppers. I am going to grill some jerked baby backs tonight.

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=43956&p=532124&hil ... ng#p532124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And from Wikipedia:
The Scotch bonnet has a flavour distinct from its habanero cousin giving jerk dishes (pork/chicken) and other Caribbean dishes their unique flavour.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_bonnet_(pepper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
NRA Endowment Member

sugar land dave

WildBill wrote:I made a post in 74novaman's "Great Night to Grill!" thread about Busha Browne's Jerk Seasoning. It is pretty hot stuff, but also has lots of interesting flavors. The second main ingredient of this Jerk seasoning is Scotch bonnet peppers. I am going to grill some jerked baby backs tonight.

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=43956&p=532124&hil ... ng#p532124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And from Wikipedia:
The Scotch bonnet has a flavour distinct from its habanero cousin giving jerk dishes (pork/chicken) and other Caribbean dishes their unique flavour.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_bonnet_(pepper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
I saw that post Bill, and I thank you for it! I am going to try and locate some of that for the kitchen. Bravo!
NRA Life Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

sugar land dave wrote:
WildBill wrote:I made a post in 74novaman's "Great Night to Grill!" thread about Busha Browne's Jerk Seasoning. It is pretty hot stuff, but also has lots of interesting flavors. The second main ingredient of this Jerk seasoning is Scotch bonnet peppers. I am going to grill some jerked baby backs tonight.

And from Wikipedia:
I saw that post Bill, and I thank you for it! I am going to try and locate some of that for the kitchen. Bravo!
Thanks Dave. You might want to check at:

Cost Plus World Market
16750 Southwest Freeway
Sugar Land, TX 77479-2331
(281) 277-9400
NRA Endowment Member

sugar land dave

That's down by PetSmart. Thanks again!
NRA Life Member

74novaman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 74novaman »

hm, those look fun! I may have to search around here for a few of them. I wonder if they'd grow in Central Texas?
TANSTAAFL

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

74novaman wrote:hm, those look fun! I may have to search around here for a few of them. I wonder if they'd grow in Central Texas?
They are a cultivar of the habanero, so I am sure you could grow them. I was thinking that you would probably have to seperate your peppers so they don't cross-pollinate. But then I was thinking that if they did you might develop a new variety.
I have already thought of a name for it: The Super-Nova Pepper. :smilelol5:
NRA Endowment Member

MrsFosforos

Post by MrsFosforos »

I love chilitepins and so do my cats (or at least the leaves off the plants). I have unsuccessfully tried sprouting them indoors - but the blasted cats strip all the leaves off the plant as soon as the plants begin getting established.

I have one lonely stem left on a plant that survived this winter indoors. I'm wa glad I could move it outside again!

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

I grow hot peppers every year and usually end up with more than I can use or give away. I like the orange habeneros the best. A guy I work with is also into peppers and he gave me a variety of seeds and one was a chocolate habenero which I got the impression was a "ghost pepper. I have been unsuccessful growing them from seed, but I really don't have much experience doing that. I've tried all kinds of starter soil. I usually buy established plants, habeneros are the hottest I can find around town.
As far as chilepetins, they seem to grow wild in my small yard. I live smack in the middle of Austin. They are mostly seed, just a little bit of flesh, but it will light you up. Does that sound like a chilepetin...?
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

MrsFosforos

Post by MrsFosforos »

O6nop wrote:As far as chilepetins, they seem to grow wild in my small yard. I live smack in the middle of Austin. They are mostly seed, just a little bit of flesh, but it will light you up. Does that sound like a chilepetin...?
Yes, they are tiny round red and green peppers and pack a lot of flavor in that little package. We have a friend who lives in San Antonio & he brought me seeds from plants at his deer lease. He said they grow in small shrubs down there. I've sometimes found them sold as ornamental potted plants here.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

one for the record: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20 ... ds-hottest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

too hot for human consumption!
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

MrsFosforos wrote:I love chilitepins and so do my cats (or at least the leaves off the plants). I have unsuccessfully tried sprouting them indoors - but the blasted cats strip all the leaves off the plant as soon as the plants begin getting established.

I have one lonely stem left on a plant that survived this winter indoors. I'm wa glad I could move it outside again!
Try misting your plants with tobasco or some other sauce.

Return to “Off-Topic”