Lone Star Law

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 4

Lone Star Law

Post by LDB415 »

We recently discovered this program on the APL channel. It is interesting, showing various things the game wardens do to protect the natural resources of the state. If you've never watched it you might want to give one or two episodes a shot to see if you like it.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Lone Star Law

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

LDB415 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:58 pm We recently discovered this program on the APL channel. It is interesting, showing various things the game wardens do to protect the natural resources of the state. If you've never watched it you might want to give one or two episodes a shot to see if you like it.
I have been watching it for several years. I love hunting and outdoors activities. I wanted to be a warden back when I was 21 but lost my desire when I found out it didn't pay enough to support a family. I think that has changed a lot over the past 35 years.

Topic author
LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

They don't get rich doing it but with a few years experience the pay isn't bad.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/warden/recruiting-careers/career

03Lightningrocks

LDB415 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:30 pm They don't get rich doing it but with a few years experience the pay isn't bad.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/warden/recruiting-careers/career
Yeah. I regret not doing it now. I had a high paying union job at the time and was not thinking long term. It would have been a pay cut of 25-30% at the time and it took a few years of college. Young and dumb!

Chemist45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Chemist45 »

Love the show.
I've even learned a thing or two watching it.

03Lightningrocks

:iagree:

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Good show. Been watching it for a few years. Learned a lot of what all the Game Wardens do.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

There is another show called North Woods Law that portrays game wardens in New Hampshire and the surrounding area. The difference in the mindset of the wardens is pretty interesting. They have what seems like a lot more "rules" in the NE.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

flechero

Post by flechero »

I enjoyed the show but we had to quit watching it because my son started to dislike GW's for continually lying to bust people.

Have you noticed that EVERY TIME one of them say "if you tell me the truth and I'll cut you some slack" and then they ticket or arrest them for exactly what they say next. My son (then 10 year old) pointed this out to me and it's been spot on. He asked - "why do they lie, they are police for hunting? Followed by if I messed up I wouldn't tell them what I did so I wouldn't get in even more trouble."

Great lesson, thanks a lot Wardens. :nono:

Topic author
LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

And I on the other hand see that in combination with only ticketing for 1 when there are multiple fish or whatever that each could and should be its own ticket and/or ticketing for the lowest value thing while issuing warnings for any other things. Also, in all cases that come to mind, they have already lied to begin with and if they had been truthful from the very beginning things might have turned out differently. Yes, good lessons alright.

flechero

Post by flechero »

LDB415 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:36 am And I on the other hand see that in combination with only ticketing for 1 when there are multiple fish or whatever that each could and should be its own ticket and/or ticketing for the lowest value thing while issuing warnings for any other things.
I wish we had seen that episode, I can teach off of that. We didn't see warnings or a break of any kind, which is why he called it out.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I watched one show at the in-laws and thought it made the fun police look like fools. I have a problem with participating in a lawful activity and being forced to prove I'm not breaking the law. Terry stops are illegal for street patrol but not game wardens.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

flechero wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:25 am
LDB415 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:36 am And I on the other hand see that in combination with only ticketing for 1 when there are multiple fish or whatever that each could and should be its own ticket and/or ticketing for the lowest value thing while issuing warnings for any other things.
I wish we had seen that episode, I can teach off of that. We didn't see warnings or a break of any kind, which is why he called it out.
We have seen those situations on multiple episodes. I can't name a specific one but I know for one the husband/wife team have frequently cited for far less infractions than the total number exposed. Others have done the same, issuing warning citations when they could have issued a full citation and also issuing for whatever was the class C infraction when there were class B or even A as well.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

LDB415 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:19 am
flechero wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:25 am
We have seen those situations on multiple episodes. I can't name a specific one but I know for one the husband/wife team have frequently cited for far less infractions than the total number exposed. Others have done the same, issuing warning citations when they could have issued a full citation and also issuing for whatever was the class C infraction when there were class B or even A as well.
Just about every episode that involves fishing. When they find one undersize fish, they find several, and write a ticket for one.
Charlie

flechero

Post by flechero »

OK, sounds like we saw a handful of hunting shows back to back... (this was back in the fall) the fish examples are legit- unfortunately he didn't see those.

Return to “Off-Topic”