A Ukraine post....

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ruark
Posts in topic: 9

A Ukraine post....

Post by Ruark »

I just posted this on a private FB group I'm a member of, and wanted to share it here.

A few words on this Ukrainian mess. As some of you know, my wife immigrated here from Russia 26 years ago. We stay in touch with some of her friends and relatives over there, as well as some of her family members who live in Ukraine. In particular, she has a cousin in Kharkov she talks with "live" on Skype every couple of days, most recently just this morning. So we stay pretty up to date on what's really going on in that part of the world.

Now, the last thing in the world I want to do is type a 100-page "analysis and discussion" on this conflict. Still, I just want to remind everybody that there is a TON of Kool-Aid being passed around, from BOTH sides. Military conflict always sends the media into orgasmic paroxysms; it's the mother and father of all "juicy stories." You know the drill: the cropped photo of the burning building, the closeup of the crying mother, the "on-the-street interviews," etc. A guy firing a gun becomes a "raging street battle." Whatever supports the official narrative.

And of course, politicians delight in war; it's their golden, shining moment to get up in front of the cameras, bask in the floodlights and "talk tough" and pretend to be brave leaders, standing up to the forces of evil and wallowing in imagined self-importance. You will never, NEVER see a more colossal display of politicians' egotistic bloviating than you will during a war situation.

And the latest from Svetlana, our friend in Kharkov? As of this morning, a few distant explosions. Otherwise all is quiet. No tanks in the streets. No "raging street battles." People walking to markets and bus stops. Yes, she is somewhat afraid, not of the Russians, but of violent Ukrainian nationalists.

So, people, don't be, like my mother use to say, "like a blade of grass, swaying back and forth with every puff of wind." See with both eyes; hear with both ears.
-Ruark

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A Ukraine post....

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Ruark wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:25 pm I just posted this on a private FB group I'm a member of, and wanted to share it here.

A few words on this Ukrainian mess. As some of you know, my wife immigrated here from Russia 26 years ago. We stay in touch with some of her friends and relatives over there, as well as some of her family members who live in Ukraine. In particular, she has a cousin in Kharkov she talks with "live" on Skype every couple of days, most recently just this morning. So we stay pretty up to date on what's really going on in that part of the world.

Now, the last thing in the world I want to do is type a 100-page "analysis and discussion" on this conflict. Still, I just want to remind everybody that there is a TON of Kool-Aid being passed around, from BOTH sides. Military conflict always sends the media into orgasmic paroxysms; it's the mother and father of all "juicy stories." You know the drill: the cropped photo of the burning building, the closeup of the crying mother, the "on-the-street interviews," etc. A guy firing a gun becomes a "raging street battle." Whatever supports the official narrative.

And of course, politicians delight in war; it's their golden, shining moment to get up in front of the cameras, bask in the floodlights and "talk tough" and pretend to be brave leaders, standing up to the forces of evil and wallowing in imagined self-importance. You will never, NEVER see a more colossal display of politicians' egotistic bloviating than you will during a war situation.

And the latest from Svetlana, our friend in Kharkov? As of this morning, a few distant explosions. Otherwise all is quiet. No tanks in the streets. No "raging street battles." People walking to markets and bus stops. Yes, she is somewhat afraid, not of the Russians, but of violent Ukrainian nationalists.

So, people, don't be, like my mother use to say, "like a blade of grass, swaying back and forth with every puff of wind." See with both eyes; hear with both ears.
Without going into details, I will say I attended a briefing the other day given by a USAF officer of reasonably high rank, locally speaking. The most important thing he and the other briefers said was to read many sources and then employ critical thinking skills when evaluating ALL the information. He specifically stated, to paraphrase, to not simply take anything at face value, from any side.

Topic author
Ruark

Post by Ruark »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:44 pm
Without going into details, I will say I attended a briefing the other day given by a USAF officer of reasonably high rank, locally speaking. The most important thing he and the other briefers said was to read many sources and then employ critical thinking skills when evaluating ALL the information. He specifically stated, to paraphrase, to not simply take anything at face value, from any side.
Wow. He's probably been relieved of duty since I read this...............
-Ruark

philip964
Posts in topic: 6

Post by philip964 »

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/25274282 ... n-invasion

Ukrainians officer who trained in the U S wears a Dont mess with Texas patch.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Ruark wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:56 pm
K.Mooneyham wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:44 pm
Wow. He's probably been relieved of duty since I read this...............
No, it was a very balanced briefing, he'll be fine.

Topic author
Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I was a little surprised to see this in a rag like USA Today, but they have a nice little collection this morning of fact-checked stories about the Ukraine conflict that sort of supplement what I posted earlier. Check it out:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fac ... 952717001/
-Ruark

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

I am not surprised that their fact checks say it is all false. The biggest one I think they might be wrong on about that is the photo of paratroopers jumping into Ukraine. They claim it is false because it was first posted in 2015. Did they forget that Russia also invaded Ukraine in 2014? Might be from the wrong invasion but a true photo and statement.

And for anyone who is curious about another one going around, the photo of the former beauty queen who supposedly joined the militia for the invasions appears to be false. Besides her not being in a military uniform, better eyes than mine pointed out that the photo is an airsoft gun, not a real rifle. I am a little surprised that USA Today did not fact check that one.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
Ruark

Post by Ruark »

srothstein wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:45 pm Did they forget that Russia also invaded Ukraine in 2014? Might be from the wrong invasion but a true photo and statement.
Russia didn't "invade Ukraine." They supported the ethnic Russian population of Crimea, which was being terrorized by the Right Sector extremists and Ukraine's corrupt government; they were even putting people in jail for being caught speaking Russian. 85% of the eligible Crimean voters turned out and 97% of them voted to join Russia; tens of thousands of them were celebrating in the streets afterwards. Of course, the media still drifts to the official narrative, with references to the "invasion" of Crimea, the "seizure of Crimea," etc.

This whole thing is the biggest hoax since "Russian collusion."
-Ruark

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

philip964 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:40 pm https://www.newsbreak.com/news/25274282 ... n-invasion

Ukrainians officer who trained in the U S wears a Dont mess with Texas patch.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Ruark wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:35 am
srothstein wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:45 pm Did they forget that Russia also invaded Ukraine in 2014? Might be from the wrong invasion but a true photo and statement.
Russia didn't "invade Ukraine." They supported the ethnic Russian population of Crimea, which was being terrorized by the Right Sector extremists and Ukraine's corrupt government; they were even putting people in jail for being caught speaking Russian. 85% of the eligible Crimean voters turned out and 97% of them voted to join Russia; tens of thousands of them were celebrating in the streets afterwards. Of course, the media still drifts to the official narrative, with references to the "invasion" of Crimea, the "seizure of Crimea," etc.

This thread started poorly and has gone off of the rails. I'm out.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I don't think the Russian invaders are too concerned with videos, they're too busy trying to stop Ukrainians with tractors from stealing their heavy vehicles.

https://coffeeordie.com/ukrainian-tract ... ian-armor/
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

What a load of bovine excrement.

If the people of Crimea had a legitimate gripe, there were dozens of ways for them to be heard, short of Russian invasion.

Please explain how sending missiles into apartment buildings in Kyiv, with nearly 200,000 russian soldiers, armor and air assets on the march through a sovereign nation is any sort of "proportional" response to your weak sauce allegations.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:18 pm

What a load of bovine excrement.

If the people of Crimea had a legitimate gripe, there were dozens of ways for them to be heard, short of Russian invasion.

Please explain how sending missiles into apartment buildings in Kyiv, with nearly 200,000 russian soldiers, armor and air assets on the march through a sovereign nation is any sort of "proportional" response to your weak sauce allegations.
:iagree: ^^^^THIS ^^^^ :iagree:

philip964
Posts in topic: 6

Post by philip964 »

My understanding there is about 45% Russian vs 55% Ukraine population in this area that wants to be part of Russia or independent. I also understand the Russians came to this area to work the coal that was discovered.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

So it would be like Mexico invading the US from three sides because the Spanish speakers in Texas were unhappy and wanted to be part of Mexico. ( in this case again)

I’m a little concerned Putin is off his rocker and is using a lot of extra tough rhetoric mentioning nukes. One can hope the Russian military would balk.

I hope he does not intend to destroy most of the civilized world by underestimating the US President.

If there was an exchange with Russia, would the US destroy China as well to prevent their taking over the world afterwards or would they be needed to rescue the few survivors?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ve-TV.html

Moldova is next per this article that shows battle map.

There are Russian speakers there too. Sounds like they need to be rescued or protected from Moldovans.

Topic author
Ruark

Post by Ruark »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:18 pm If the people of Crimea had a legitimate gripe, there were dozens of ways for them to be heard, short of Russian invasion.

Heard? By who? Who was listening? Noboby - except Russia. And even then, they didn't do anything; they just left it up to the Crimeans in a referendum. 85% of the eligible voters voted - 97% voting to join Russia. Tens of thousands of them were celebrating in the streets afterwards (yeah, I know, those were all paid actors....). Russia didn't "invade" or "seize" Crimea, not in any way, shape or form.

I see. So if, say, Russia, wanted to control the Mexican government and put nuclear missles along the Texas border, we shouldn't do anything? It's a legitimate concern, in addition to the ongoing persecution of the people in Donbass. We know, we have friends and relatives who live there. They're terrified of the Ukrainian nationalists, who make our KKK look like a bunch of Girl Scouts.

Think about it. Putin is a very shrewd, experienced leader with a razor-sharp mind. Do people really BELIEVE that he would do something like this, knowing FULL WELL the consequences, for NO good reason, just on a personal whim, out of the blue? That's what the media is trying to sell you.

As far as Ukraine itself, I don't give a flip what happens to it. People are suddenly in luuuuuv with Ukraine, and can't even find it on a map, or know anything about it. Ukraine is a worthless, corrupt toilet of a country that produces nothing of value except hate. Fistfights are a regular occurrence in the parliament. Russia has NO use for it; they wouldn't take Ukraine if you gave it to them on a silver platter. After the Crimeans fled to Russia, Ukraine, under the billionaire U.S. puppet Poroshenko, sucked all the free money they could get from the IMF, and when that teat went dry, they started poking at the EU, which has NO desire to let that muddy mutt into their house. When they finally got rid of Poroshenko, they got a TV comedian named Zelinsky, also a billionaire (well, $800 million), who didn't lift a finger to stop the persecution in Donbass (as he promised to do) and jailed his political opponents and anybody else who spoke against him. Yes, it's sad what some Ukrainians on the street are experiencing, I agree. People suffer at the hands of their leaders, often horribly.

Interesting how so many people on this forum lambast the media's distortion and lying on issues like gun control, the democrats, BLM, etc., then suddenly turn and swallow every drop of Koolaid that squirts out of the TV.
-Ruark

Return to “Off-Topic”