The Day of Eight Billion

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rafe
Posts in topic: 1

The Day of Eight Billion

Post by Rafe »

Meant to post this yesterday, but didn't. So now I've missed the actual "celebratory" day...but it's really sort of "The Week of Eight Billion" because it's only guesswork.

Still, it still gives one pause and reason to ponder.

Although the latest UN world population update, published last July, revised the projected number down slightly for the long-term forecast--10.4 billion people by 2100 rather than 11 billion--November 15, 2022, remained dubbed "The Day of Eight Billion": the day when the world population counter hit 8 billion human beings.

To put that in perspective, we passed the 7 billion mark just 12 years ago in 2010. We hit 6 billion in 1998, and 5 billion in 1987. The world's population has increased 62.5% since 1987.

If you were born in 1974, the world population has now doubled just in the 48 years you've been around. Col. Jeff Cooper founded the American Pistol Institute (later Gunsite) in 1976.

If you were born in 1960, the world reached a total population of 3 billion that year. We hit 1 billion in 1804, 28 years after the Founders signed the Declaration of Independence, and we crossed the 2 billion mark in 1930, nine years before the start of WWII. In 1800, only about 3% of the world's population lived in urban areas. By the year 2000, that percentage had increased globally to 47%, then to 50.5% by 2010. By 2050 some projections show that 70% of the population will be urban.

Not counting the U.S. territories, America's population in July 2021 was 331.9 million. Estimates are that the figure stands at 333.297 million right now. That means the 50 states represents 4.166% of the world's population. China has 17.63% of the global population, followed by India with 17.37%. Russia is down in 9th place with 1.775%.

If nothing else, a doubling of the global population in the last 48 years, since 1974--and the majority of that population now living in urban areas--gives a different perspective to situational awareness than it existed when Col. Cooper published Principles of Personal Defense in 1972, the book that first codified Cooper's Color Codes.

“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: The Day of Eight Billion

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

So......this is why nobody could score Taylor Swift tickets???

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

It is amazing that world population has doubled in my 48 years. Sadly the World IQ averages around 82, which is part of the reason the world is as crazy a place as it is.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:59 pm So......this is why nobody could score Taylor Swift tickets???

SIA
:smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

03Lightningrocks

Paladin wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:17 pm It is amazing that world population has doubled in my 48 years. Sadly the World IQ averages around 82, which is part of the reason the world is as crazy a place as it is.
The way folks act these days, I would have thought the average IQ was half that. I think the number of Karen's has tripled over the past three years. I seem to find at least one Karen in every retail establishment or restaurant I go into. Just a few days ago I was in Walgreens and witnessed some lady giving the kid behind the counter ten minutes of grief because they were out of bread! And yes, she ask for the managers phone number!
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Nature has a way of maintaining "Balance" so I'm wondering when and how the human population will be Corrcted? I'm betting it'll make Dr. FAUCI creation look like the common cold!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

03Lightningrocks

crazy2medic wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:43 pm Nature has a way of maintaining "Balance" so I'm wondering when and how the human population will be Corrcted? I'm betting it'll make Dr. FAUCI creation look like the common cold!
I am willing to bet you are correct. It may still be the covid virus after it mutates a few more times. I just read that they detected a covid strain in white tail deer somewhere in Canada.

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:45 pm
crazy2medic wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:43 pm Nature has a way of maintaining "Balance" so I'm wondering when and how the human population will be Corrcted? I'm betting it'll make Dr. FAUCI creation look like the common cold!
I am willing to bet you are correct. It may still be the covid virus after it mutates a few more times. I just read that they detected a covid strain in white tail deer somewhere in Canada.
Hidin Biden has us on the brink of WW3. I don’t think it will take a super big.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Paladin wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:17 pm It is amazing that world population has doubled in my 48 years. Sadly the World IQ averages around 82, which is part of the reason the world is as crazy a place as it is.
It has tripled from 2.63 billion in the year of my birth (1952). I’m sure my average IQ is 100. It goes up and down according to how much time I spend on Twitter. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”