Memorial Day Weekend

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Memorial Day Weekend

Post by carlson1 »

:patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Post by Rafe »

Our modern society has heavily commercialized just about every holiday we celebrate. If you're like me, you cringe every time an ad come on TV shouting about a Memorial Day sale. Just as bad is when people say, "Happy Memorial Day."

But a big "thank you" to everyone who will take time this Monday to commemorate the courage, dedication, and sacrifice of our fallen heroes and their families, and to thank them for defense of our country and freedom.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

We are here in Santa Fe NM for the weekend We will be visiting the memorial here as my wife’s father, uncle who both served in WW2 are buried there.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Rafe wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:21 am Our modern society has heavily commercialized just about every holiday we celebrate. If you're like me, you cringe every time an ad come on TV shouting about a Memorial Day sale. Just as bad is when people say, "Happy Memorial Day."

But a big "thank you" to everyone who will take time this Monday to commemorate the courage, dedication, and sacrifice of our fallen heroes and their families, and to thank them for defense of our country and freedom.
:iagree: It’s also very annoying to hear people talking about honoring our veterans on Memorial Day. “NO! You’re thinking about Veterans Day. This day is remembering those who gave their lives fighting for this country.”

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Grayling813 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:12 am
Rafe wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:21 am Our modern society has heavily commercialized just about every holiday we celebrate. If you're like me, you cringe every time an ad come on TV shouting about a Memorial Day sale. Just as bad is when people say, "Happy Memorial Day."

:iagree: It’s also very annoying to hear people talking about honoring our veterans on Memorial Day. “NO! You’re thinking about Veterans Day. This day is remembering those who gave their lives fighting for this country.”
I remember Joe Biden making an appearance for Memorial Day making comments about the veterans in attendance to honor them instead of the fallen. Someone finally corrected him. His faux pas are nothing new.
Rest with God all who have fallen.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Yep, really ticks me off when the confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day. My constant reminder of Memorial Day are the 13 KIA and 6 POWs from my Squadron.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

i say a prayer for all the souls of our lost brave men and women.

i get ticked off at all the SALES for memorial day

i lost two pilots that were very good friends and that still stings
one gave 30 years of service, only to die in 8 months from a brain tumor. he survived battle and crashes only to go because of brain tumor
that one hits hard .
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

mayor

Post by mayor »

Grayling813 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:12 am

:iagree:

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Memorial Day is an American holiday, observed on the last Monday of May, honoring the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. Memorial Day 2023 will occur on Monday, May 29.

Originally known as Decoration Day, it originated in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971. Many Americans observe Memorial Day by visiting cemeteries or memorials, holding family gatherings and participating in parades.
We lost my dad in May 1970 when I was nine years old. It was absolutely traumatic. Fifty Three years later I can remember each and every moment of the entire experience. It is literally burned into my brain! From the moment we drove up and saw the military vehicle and the two officers approached us and tried to get my mom to go into the house. She immediately knew why they were there and broke down right in the front yard. My Mother literally melted down. Her sisters had to take turns living with her and us three boys (nine, eight and four years old) because she was so distraught she would just lay in her bedroom crying for at least two months. He was a helicopter pilot and died during a mission just on the cambodian border. Rear rotor caught a tree and the helicopter exploded on contact with the ground.

It absolutely enrages me when someone mentions their old dead grandpa or father who died of old age but NOT during actual service. IT IS NOT MEANT TO HONER THEM!!! Veterans day covers the old, died of natural causes while not in service, Veterans. On Monday I will see dozens of morons posting pictures of their old dead relatives who served and lived through it as if they are part of memorial day. As usual, I will bite my typing fingers and resist the urge to post the two words that apply, Bull Manure!

Rafe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rafe »

Google has an image--a "Doodle"--for just about every day. One I remember from the past week was in celebration of a female activist who was Native American and LGBTQ+. I'd never heard of her.

Google has an image for Memorial Day 2023, as well. I will make no comment about the evinced patriotism or respect for the fallen. You can judge for yourselves. The image is below, but here is the URL to it: https://www.google.com/logos/doodles/20 ... 877-l.webp.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

AF-Odin wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:04 pm Yep, really ticks me off when the confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day. My constant reminder of Memorial Day are the 13 KIA and 6 POWs from my Squadron.
It's hard to fix ignorance....

Maybe it would take the edge off to see it in an intended spirit of gratitude, however misplaced, rather than intentional disrespect?

Plenty of us, especially here, remember as intended.

Prayers for all those who gave all in service to this country.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Off-Topic”