Private Investigator Questions

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seeker_two
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Private Investigator Questions

Post by seeker_two »

I've been interested in the field of private investigation for some time. After joining this board, I noticed a few of the posters are private investigators in Texas. After reading the requirements for getting a PI license, I have a few questions about the process......

1. Did most PI's come from a LE background, or did they start in the security field?
2. I was a CPS investigator for 18 mos. Would that time count toward my 2-years of experience needed?
3. How did the PI's here get their experience and license? Is it as difficult as it seems?

Many thanks in advance...... :bigear:

(....and yes, I do know that the field isn't as glamorous or exciting as TV/movies show it. I'm still interested...)
Howdy y'all. Glad to be here.....

Topic author
seeker_two
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Private Investigator Questions

Post by seeker_two »

No one at all?..... :clapping:
Howdy y'all. Glad to be here.....

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AEA »

Forget about it.....the hours are long and the pay is terrible.
You can make the same money and take less risks by working at McDonald's!
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

numist
Posts in topic: 1

Post by numist »

seeker_two wrote:I've been interested in the field of private investigation for some time. After joining this board, I noticed a few of the posters are private investigators in Texas. After reading the requirements for getting a PI license, I have a few questions about the process......

1. Did most PI's come from a LE background, or did they start in the security field?
Yes.
LE experience is helpful but not necessary. Lots are retired LEO but many are professional security / investigations folks who have worked for licensed investigators or lawyers for years.
2. I was a CPS investigator for 18 mos. Would that time count toward my 2-years of
experience needed?
Not really. The state really wants two or more years of verifiable experience in the field i.e. 'card carrying PI'
3. How did the PI's here get their experience and license? Is it as difficult as it seems?
By working for a licensed PI for two years. You must have two years to get your own PI license. Once you have the experience the real fun begins. Taking the test is no problem if you study. Getting and paying for insurance is the biggest and costliest mess there is but required by the state. Be prepared for MAJOR wallet shock!
Go hear and read up:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/

As far as $ goes it all depends on what type of investigations you are interested in doing.
If you like living in your car and always on the go, surveillance is for you. If you are a computer nut / bookworm you might be good at skip tracing. It's really not like what you see on TV. If your good at what you do, you will be paid well.
Good luck, hope this helps.
Educate ignorance, reward excellence and severely punish stupidity.

Return to “Off-Topic”