Boy, 8, Shoots Self With Uzi at Gun Show

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Boy, 8, Shoots Self With Uzi at Gun Show

Post by RoyGBiv »

My almost 9 year old has been shooting .22's for about a year (rifle and pistol).
Last week we had a chance to visit a range in VA with some friends.

First weapon on the line was an AR-15 (.223)..

Even though I felt he could handle it, I allowed only one shot in the magazine at a time, stood behind him with one hand on his back, watched him carefully to make sure his face wasn't too close to the scope, gave clear instructions to keep finger off trigger until I gave him the ok, safety on until aimed, etc. Still I was concerned.

I can't imagine anyone so stupid as to allow their 8yo to shoot a loaded auto, ever. LOADED.! FULL AUTO.!!
Darwin. Tragic.

The "instructor" should have known better, but the poor father is the responsible party. He'll have to live with it forever.
The only good news (if anything about this can be called good) was that no bystanders were killed.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 5

Post by seamusTX »

RoyGBiv wrote:First weapon on the line was an AR-15 (.223)..

Even though I felt he could handle it, I allowed only one shot in the magazine at a time, stood behind him with one hand on his back, watched him carefully to make sure his face wasn't too close to the scope, gave clear instructions to keep finger off trigger until I gave him the ok, safety on until aimed, etc.
That's the way to do it.

An AR-15 has so little recoil and is too long to shoot oneself with by accident.

- Jim

Bullwhip
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bullwhip »

RoyGBiv wrote:I can't imagine anyone so stupid as to allow their 8yo to shoot a loaded auto, ever. LOADED.! FULL AUTO.!!
Plenty of safe ways to do that. Tripod with T&E limits is how we always did it in the Army, to keep 18yos from shooting each other.

Micro-Uzi has a bad rep (deserved) for being hard to control. "small gun for small people" is just dumb. Small people need a big heavy gun in a small caliber if recoil is a problem. Smaller and lighter just makes it worse. Some guy called Newton explained that.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 5

Post by seamusTX »

The former police chief who organized this shoot was acquitted in a jury trial today.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... incart_mce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, his life is still pretty much ruined. I shudder to think how much his legal defense cost.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Return to “Off-Topic”