Shooting ruled homicide after half a century

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Shooting ruled homicide after half a century

Post by seamusTX »

chasfm11 wrote:I was teaching in Warminster at the time but have no recollection of gang related brawls.
Aggravated assaults simply aren't news unless they are horrendous or involve some notable person. There are far more aggravated assaults than murders. In the 1990s there were about a million aggravated assaults nationwide versus 24,000 murders. (Crime was substantially higher then—I can't easily find data from the 1970s.)

I can barely remember anything outside my personal life from 1973. The only news I can remember is
  • Secretariat winning the Triple Crown
  • The Arab-Israeli war
  • The Arab oil embargo and gas lines
  • Spiro Agnew resigning
The story doesn't contain the word gang.

- Jim

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

seamusTX wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:I was teaching in Warminster at the time but have no recollection of gang related brawls.
Aggravated assaults simply aren't news unless they are horrendous or involve some notable person. There are far more aggravated assaults than murders. In the 1990s there were about a million aggravated assaults nationwide versus 24,000 murders. (Crime was substantially higher then—I can't easily find data from the 1970s.)

I can barely remember anything outside my personal life from 1973. The only news I can remember is
  • Secretariat winning the Triple Crown
  • The Arab-Israeli war
  • The Arab oil embargo and gas lines
  • Spiro Agnew resigning
The story doesn't contain the word gang.

- Jim
The Lacy Park area that was referring to in my post was the subject of considerable discussion among the teachers at the time. We all saw some of the tragic situations that came from there. Other than that, Warminster was a sprawling, sparsely populated area. There was an old military base that was no longer in use that marked pretty much the center of town. Unlike neighboring Southampton or Willow Grove, it lacked anything that could be considered a downtown area. Any crime that happened was big news.

While I seldom can remember what I did last week now, the memories of my teaching career are still quite vivid for me. I can remember the names of many of my students. As a music teacher, I taught my instrumental specialty in both of the junior highs and the one high school as well as several of the elementary schools. I literally drove the boundaries of the school district every week. I was current on the happenings in the town, such as they were. I have to honestly say that I wasn't as tuned into world or even national events at the same time. I lead a very sheltered life.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

Seguin has had at least one such death-long-after-being-shot. The only Seguin Police officer to die in the line of duty died 10 years after being shot. Although the immediate cause of the officer's death was pneumonia, it was determined it was at least a LODD because the officer had lost his entire left lung and part of the right lung due to being shot, and he did not have enough lung capacity to fight off the pneumonia.

I have no idea if his actual death was ruled a homicide. LODD determinations are usually a separate administrative procedure to determine what benefits apply.

Even it if was determined to be murder, it would have been an administrative detail -- the officer returned fire and killed his attacker during the initial incident.

I wrote more details here: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=38522&p=459845#p459845" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

b322da

Post by b322da »

barres wrote:Would this fall under double jeopardy, since the two shooters served time for their shooting of Jenkins, or could they now be prosecuted for murder?
No, and yes. Different crimes. They had not committed murder when convicted the first time. The second time they would not be again convicted of shooting their victim, but rather of murdering him.

Elmo

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

b322da wrote:
barres wrote:Would this fall under double jeopardy, since the two shooters served time for their shooting of Jenkins, or could they now be prosecuted for murder?
No, and yes. Different crimes. They had not committed murder when convicted the first time. The second time they would not be again convicted of shooting their victim, but rather of murdering him. Elmo
And there is no statute of limitations for murder.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”