This day in history - June 26

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 7

This day in history - June 26

Post by seamusTX »

1917 - The American Expeditionary Force arrived in France ("Over there...").

1934 - President Franklin D.Roosevelt signed the law that established credit unions

1950 - President Truman committed U.S. military forces to the Korean War.

1959 - The St Lawrence Seaway opened, allowing large ocean-going vessels to dock at ports on the Great Lakes.

1963 - President Kennedy, speaking in West Berlin on the 15th anniversary of the beginning of the Berlin airlift, made the famous statement, "Ich bin ein Berliner."

That was a time when the communists were sure that they were on the cutting edge of history, and the free world was not sure that they were wrong.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

bryang
Posts in topic: 2

Re: This day in history - June 26

Post by bryang »

"Ich bin ein Berliner"
"I am one with the people of Berlin" - President John F Kennedy

Ah, yes, the good old days...a communists under ever rock, behind every door, lurking in the shadows ready to pounce upon you when you walked by. :shock:

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Don't forget the godless communist jezabels who would seduce men.

Here's a recording of part of the speech with a good video montage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK907TwM7q0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

bryang
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bryang »

seamusTX wrote:Don't forget the godless communist jezabels who would seduce men.

Here's a recording of part of the speech with a good video montage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK907TwM7q0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim
Thanks, Jim, I didn't know it was on youtube. I guess there is no limit as to what you can find on youtube.

There sure were a lot people there and did you notice....he didn't even use a teleprompter. ;-)

Yeah, I had forgot about the jezebels. A lot of weird stuff went on during those days.

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Whatever one may think of JFK, he was a top-notch orator with good writers. At that time, politicians still made speeches to live people instead of television cameras.

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

1917 - The American Expeditionary Force arrived in France ("Over there...").

1963 - President Kennedy, speaking in West Berlin on the 15th anniversary of the beginning of the Berlin airlift, made the famous statement, "Ich bin ein Berliner."

This link still works: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's with the coincidences?

- Jim

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

seamusTX wrote:1917 - The American Expeditionary Force arrived in France ("Over there...").

This link still works: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's with the coincidences?

- Jim
When I looked at that list, I remembered that Operation Barbarossa started in June. When I looked it up, it was 22 June. So it's not just us. :???:
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Napoleon's invasion of Russia started 24 June 1812.

If ya wanna invade Russia (which is one of the top three stupidest things to do in the world), ya gotta start in early summer when the weather is warm and the days are long.

Weather and daylight were critical factors before we had mechanized warfare and radar. Even the Viets made good use of the weather.

BTW, this is one of, possibly the most famous graphic chart of all time:

The width of the lines represents the strength of French forces.

- Jim

ELB

Post by ELB »

seamusTX wrote:
If ya wanna invade Russia (which is one of the top three stupidest things to do in the world), ya gotta start in early summer when the weather is warm and the days are long.

- Jim
Not only Russia, I think. Summertime has traditionally been war-fighting season in places that have real winters, particularly when armies had to march to get there. Crops are planted, not ready to harvest yet, less likely to freeze to death, hunting/foraging was good. There are exceptions of course, but if you are planning a campaign, as opposed to being forced into one by events, summer looks like a better bet.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

ELB wrote:Summertime has traditionally been war-fighting season in places that have real winters,...
European lords of the Middle Ages treated war like a sport, the way that Americans used to do with baseball before every stadium had lights if not a roof (a pox on the Chicago Cubs' management, but I digress).

However, as you know, many decisive strokes were dealt in the worst times of the year:
25 Dec 1776 -- Merry Christmas, Gen. Washington:

7 Dec 1941 -- This photo was taken from the cockpit of a Japanese attack aircraft:

2 Dec 1805 (Austerlitz):

Dec 1814-Jan 1815 (New Orleans), I could go on.

- Jim

ELB

Post by ELB »

Oh, I thought of the the Battle of Trenton even as I wrote -- as one of the exceptions that proved the rule, since what made it successful were the Hessians being in winter quarters), it was Christmas, and the weather was lousy, thus making it a successful surprise attack. Also note that the Hawaii and New Orleans were not exactly places that have "real winters." WRT to Pearl Harbor and WWII, the areas the Japanese chose to wage war were basically without severely cold winters (and it was summer for part of the region), with the exception of the Aleutians.

I am not saying that no one ever fought in the winter. I am saying that campaigns generally were waged in summer in places where that provides the better weather. Mechanization has altered this to a degree, but seasons still have heavy influence on timing and success.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

It's true that the Pacific theater of WW II was largely southeast Asia, and the timing of the Pearl Harbor attack had much to do with the lengthy internal debate among factions in the Japanese ruling class, and the Hull Note being dropped on their desk, so to speak.

The notion that the U.S. was simply minding its business and whistling Dixie when the dastardly Nips attacked is one of the comfortable lies told in history class when I was a kid.

- Jim

Return to “Off-Topic”