2008 Subaru Legacy rotor removal

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

2008 Subaru Legacy rotor removal

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Yeah, I know this is REALLY off-topic but at least it's in the correct section.

Does anyone know if removing the front rotors from an all-wheel-drive 2008 Subaru Legacy is likely to be problematic when reinstalling? My son needs to know.

Thanks,
Chas.

mctowalot
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 2008 Subaru Legacy rotor removal

Post by mctowalot »

Mr. Cotton,
I called the one and only mechanic that I know well and trust and he said if your son can get them off he should have no trouble getting them back on. He said he would be happy to provide a free telephone consultation if need be. I'll pm the info. to you.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mctowalot wrote:Mr. Cotton,
I called the one and only mechanic that I know well and trust and he said if your son can get them off he should have no trouble getting them back on. He said he would be happy to provide a free telephone consultation if need be. I'll pm the info. to you.
That was fast a greatly appreciated.

Chas.

9mmGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 9mmGuy »

mr cotton, the brake rotors on that vehicle are "floating", front and rear. which means after the caliper bracket or bridge is removed there is nothing holding the disc in place with the exception of a philips head screw or a a round speed clip on one of the wheel studs. you may need some WD-40 and a light tap to get them off if the hub is rusty. but being a '08 i doubt this will be an issue. not to be nosey but why is he removing them? i have worked in the automotive repair field most of my adult life so let me know if you have any questions. good luck.
Luck favors the Prepared
G19c, G26, KT P11, Mossberg Mav 88, 10/22

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

9mmGuy wrote:mr cotton, the brake rotors on that vehicle are "floating", front and rear. which means after the caliper bracket or bridge is removed there is nothing holding the disc in place with the exception of a philips head screw or a a round speed clip on one of the wheel studs. you may need some WD-40 and a light tap to get them off if the hub is rusty. but being a '08 i doubt this will be an issue. not to be nosey but why is he removing them? i have worked in the automotive repair field most of my adult life so let me know if you have any questions. good luck.
They are warped and giving him the classic pulsating stop, so they need to be turned. I'll tell him to look for the phillips head screw; I already asked about the clip on a wheel stud and it there wasn't one.

Thanks again,
Chas.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I would think that a 2008 model Anything would still be under warranty?

9mmGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 9mmGuy »

Oldgringo wrote:I would think that a 2008 model Anything would still be under warranty?
while this is true, brakes are considered a wearable item and are not covered most of the time. now back in 05 when i had my subaru they had a maitenance program that would cover brake parts / issues like this.
Luck favors the Prepared
G19c, G26, KT P11, Mossberg Mav 88, 10/22

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Might be worth a look. The last 2 or 3 cars we bought included BTB warranties that did include brakes.
We had warped rotors fixed under warranty twice.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Return to “Off-Topic”