You'll shoot your eye out! edit: updated with pics at bottom

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CrimsonSoul
Posts in topic: 8

You'll shoot your eye out! edit: updated with pics at bottom

Post by CrimsonSoul »

I went out and bought my daughter her first air rifle! It's for her sixth birthday on Jan. 2nd but she's getting it tomorrow (19th)! We're gunna have a long talk here then going to my dad's then having another long talk then I'm going to set up some reactive targets that splatter green when you hit them and see where it goes from there. Oh did I mention this thing came with a laser site (and eye protection and bb's and targets that aren't reactive)!?! (Sorry I'm excited lol). Wish me and her luck tomorrow on her first outing, now all I have to do is get the all guns are evil mantra that the school has already pushed onto her out and the guns are dangerous if not used correctly mantra and the three rules.

edit: forgot the picture

Last edited by CrimsonSoul on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

jordanmills
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Re: You'll shoot your eye out!

Post by jordanmills »

Six years old? Sure waited long enough.

Topic author
CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

jordanmills wrote:Six years old? Sure waited long enough.
I'm trying to figure out if that's sarcasm saying she's too young or if you're being serious.
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

jordanmills
Banned

Post by jordanmills »

CrimsonSoul wrote:
jordanmills wrote:Six years old? Sure waited long enough.
I'm trying to figure out if that's sarcasm saying she's too young or if you're being serious.
Sarcasm, but the other way. If a kid is old enough to hold a gun, they're old enough to learn gun safety through practical application. I'm just being silly though, sounds like you're doing her right.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Every child is different. Some are ready at a very young age, and some are not ready ever. You have to gauge the child by their capabilities. You also need to make sure they are interested in learning to shoot and are not being pushed into either something they don't want to do or are not ready for do to their level of maturity.

Bottom line, only the ones who know the kid can assess their readiness and willingness.

And, looks like she is gonna love the pink gun and you guys will have a lot of fun together!!! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:Every child is different. Some are ready at a very young age, and some are not ready ever. You have to gauge the child by their capabilities. You also need to make sure they are interested in learning to shoot and are not being pushed into either something they don't want to do or are not ready for do to their level of maturity.
This same advice is true for many other activities such as driving, riding a bicycle, and using power tools. Remember, it's about the child, not you.

Crimson Soul - I am sure that she will "have a blast" with her new air rifle.
NRA Endowment Member

mctowalot
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mctowalot »

CrimsonSoul wrote:I went out and bought my daughter her first air rifle! It's for her sixth birthday on Jan. 2nd but she's getting it tomorrow (19th)! We're gunna have a long talk here then going to my dad's then having another long talk then I'm going to set up some reactive targets that splatter green when you hit them and see where it goes from there. Oh did I mention this thing came with a laser site (and eye protection and bb's and targets that aren't reactive)!?! (Sorry I'm excited lol). Wish me and her luck tomorrow on her first outing.

edit: forgot the picture

:shock: Oh man that is soooooo cool! :clapping:
This isn't sarcasm, it's respect. May I refer you to the recent "Too Young For a BB Gun?" post - lots of awesome insight from the forum members.

But you, with the reactive targets and the "laser" (imagine Dr. Evil saying it)...Red Ryder looks like a Model T!

I like to buy presents ahead of time and our little girl is already 1, so may I ask where and how much?

By the way, I'm totally with you in regards to the excitment, but try to remember to let her have a turn shooting it every now and then. ;-)

Oh, and please report back. Have fun, lucky!

Topic author
CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

it was 54.11 after tax from Academy and I was wrong it's not a laser persay, it's a red-dot scope (where the laser or whatever it is is in the scope but you can't see it if you aren't looking through the scope)
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

mctowalot
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mctowalot »

A Red Dot sight?! Alright now your getting carried away.
Just kidding, that's even cooler, and it might be better that way - you don't need an errant "laser" dot lighting up anything when your pumping air.
I can see the headlines now: "SWAT responds to reports of little girl weilding laser sight equiped assault rifle - pink in color."

Topic author
CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

Naw SWAT only responds if the pellets she uses are "cop killers"
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

Topic author
CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

Welp she did pretty good if I do say so myself! the gun was a little long for her so she had to hold it under her arm instead of on her shoulder. She didn't want to leave and wanted to keep going (What have I started!?! lol)! now for the pics!

Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

Keith B

Re: You'll shoot your eye out! edit: updated with pics at bottom

Post by Keith B »

Love that grin on her face!! Those memories will last forever. :thumbs2: Good job there CrimsonSoul! :clapping:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:Love that grin on her face!! Those memories will last forever. :thumbs2: Good job there CrimsonSoul! :clapping:
:iagree: What a beautiful girl.
NRA Endowment Member

jordanmills
Banned

Post by jordanmills »

Haha awesome! Cute kid, and now dangerous!

USA1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by USA1 »

Keith B wrote:Love that grin on her face!!
I'll bet Dad's grin is bigger. ;-)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Return to “Off-Topic”