Texas City: armed robbery

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 5

Texas City: armed robbery

Post by seamusTX »

I offer this story without comment, other than to say the address is a dead-end street in an upscale neighborhood (which I did not know existed). The robbers must have followed or otherwise targeted the victims. A business that closes at 2 a.m. pretty much has to be a bar, ja?

I hope these people will be meeting with El Gato soon.

Police were searching Monday for a pair of armed robbers who held up two people in the driveway their north Texas City home early Saturday morning.

The man and woman gave chase to the robbers, who were able to get away after shooting at their victims.

Police aid the 37-year-old woman and 58-year-old man had just returned home in the 4200 block of Quaker Drive from the family business at about 2:25 a.m. when two masked men with guns approached them.

The male resident had just gotten out of the car and was carrying a white purse, which he handed over to the robbers when they demanded it. The robbers then turned their attention to the woman who was still in the car.

They forced her out of the car and demanded her valuables. The robbers then ordered the man and woman to kneel down by the side of the car.

When one of the robbers threatened to kill the couple, the woman jumped off in an attempt to fend off the robbers, police said. The startled gunmen took off on foot with the woman giving chase for several blocks.

The male victim jumped into the car and picked up the woman as they chased after the suspects who had hopped into a car. The couple gave chase before finding a maroon 1993 Saturn that was running, but with no occupants in the 2900 block of 14th Avenue North.

Neither the man or woman was injured.

The first suspect was described as a black man with a medium build between 5 foot, 8 inches and 6 feet tall. He was wearing dark clothing and black tennis shoes.

The second suspect was described as a black man, also a medium build, wearing dark clothing and red, white, black and gray tennis shoes. He was also wearing a red devil’s mask.

Anyone with information on the robbery should call Mainland Crime Stoppers, which is offering a $1,000 award for the robbers’ arrest, at 409-945-8477.

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewc ... b9c9efef4f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Texas City: armed robbery

Post by joe817 »

Errmmmmm....what in the world were they thinking??? Chasing BG's who had guns! Don't they know the rules? :rules:

(don't chase bad guys with guns when you don't have one yourself)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Adrenaline makes people do things that maybe are not such a good idea.

- Jim

dewayneward
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dewayneward »

One thing that I picked up on, which I am sure y'all did as well was the fact that the robbers were talking about killing the victims EVEN THOUGH THE COMPLIED with their demands. I keep seeing this more and more where the bad guys shoot the victims even after they do everything that is demanded of them. Thankfully, the woman did something and scared the bad guys off.

Yea, I probably wouldnt have chased the bad guys...especially without a gun. what would they have done had they caught up with them? That goes back into the mentality that people are somehow in an armored tank when they are in their cars and do/say things they would never do/say if it was person to person. Thankfully, the badguys didnt murder them.
Col 2:8 See to it that no man takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men,according to the elementary principles of the world,rather than according to Christ.
austin received app 12/10
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

dewayneward wrote:One thing that I picked up on, which I am sure y'all did as well was the fact that the robbers were talking about killing the victims EVEN THOUGH THE COMPLIED with their demands.
That could have been some gangsta' fantasy talk.

It's also possible that something was going on that we don't know about. Maybe one of the robbers was a former employee who had a grudge, or something in that vein. Robberies by employees or former employees who know the routine of the business are common.

- Jim

ELB

Post by ELB »

seamusTX wrote:Adrenaline makes people do things that maybe are not such a good idea.

- Jim
I think adrenaline is what saved their lives, given the order to kneel by the car. Her fighting back was the right general course of action, gun or not. An OK plan vigorously executed vs an excellent plan poorly executed and all that...
USAF 1982-2005

joe817

Post by joe817 »

ELB wrote:
seamusTX wrote:Adrenaline makes people do things that maybe are not such a good idea.

- Jim
I think adrenaline is what saved their lives, given the order to kneel by the car. Her fighting back was the right general course of action, gun or not. An OK plan vigorously executed vs an excellent plan poorly executed and all that...
I totally agree. By the accounts given, death was imminent. She probably thought she was going to be executed, and what did she have to lose. Her fighting back caused the BG's to turn and run, giving the innocents a chance to find cover and safety.

To chase after them after the BG's started running away was a bad idea, was the point I was trying to make.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I agree that resistance is better than compliance. However, chasing fleeing armed criminals is rarely a good idea when you are not wearing body armor.

Hypothetically speaking, I would have leaned more toward a poke in the eye with three stiff fingers, then getting into the vehicle, laying rubber, and calling 911.

BTW, the crime scene is close to a fire station. That's a good place of refuge in an emergency.

- Jim

fm2

Post by fm2 »

The set-up for this armed robbery is very similar to one faced by a husband & wife in Memphis. It's recounted in this month's Rangemaster newsletter on page 2. Found here: http://www.rangemaster.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; just click on latest newsletter. There's also some tips in there.

The similarities of the set-up are:
1. multiple VCAs
2. home in an upscale neighborhood
3.followed from another location
4. probably followed from their business
5. hit made as driver exited the car
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

...and VCA stands for?

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Violent criminal actor (which is somewhat redundant).

- Jim

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

seamusTX wrote:Violent criminal actor (which is somewhat redundant).

- Jim
So, if these people are just actors, and not the real thing, then all we need to do is carry a megaphone and yell 'CUT!' and they will stop their attack. :biggrinjester:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Keith B wrote:
seamusTX wrote:Violent criminal actor (which is somewhat redundant). - Jim
So, if these people are just actors, and not the real thing, then all we need to do is carry a megaphone and yell 'CUT!' and they will stop their attack. :biggrinjester:
Uggghhhhhhh. That's baddddddd. Like eating 4 day old beans. :lol:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “Off-Topic”