Things a Burglar Won't Tell You

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

psijac
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Things a Burglar Won't Tell You

Post by psijac »

I want to get a faketv and "watch" it from the outside for half an hour to see if I am convinced
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

When you leave your radios on while you are out,
turn them to a talk show since this more closely mimics
residents inside talking than a music channel. The volume
should be loud enough that it can be heard outside easily,
which is probably louder than if you were actually home listening.

If you have an alarm system, do not put up the lawn sign with your
alarm company's actual name. A burglar that is familar
with each brand's hardware will have knowledge of how their
system's devices can be disabled.

The alternative is to simply place a generic "Alarm" sign on
your property. The burglars won't know what kind. You can
even put this sign up if you don't have ANY security system.

Always shut your garage doors. It keeps burglars guessing as
to whether you are home or not. It also prevents quick grabs
of your lawn mowers, leaf blowers, bicycles, or what have you.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

PUCKER wrote:One thing to add...your trash...what your throw away (boxes) says what you have...when it comes to high ticket items...I usually dump the box at our office dumpster.
Would a brick of primers and a case of buckshot loads count as high-ticket items?

There's nearly always one vehicle in the driveway, (and which one changes frequently, so it doesn't look like there's just a spare car sitting there) since we have opposite schedules, and when we both go somewhere, we only take one car. Add in the cop across the street, loud dogs next door, and my rather uninviting door-answering manner, (when we're not expecting anyone) and nobody seems to want to try to break in.

I am thinking about doing a criminal trespass warning on the freezer-in-a-pickup meat dealers next time they come through, though. We've already had them cited twice for not having the city peddler permit, but they aren't getting the hint from that, and frankly, they're creepy looking in addition to being obnoxious. I still want a "NO SOLICITING" sign made into a spring-loaded cover over the doorbell so they can't say they didn't see it.

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

AndyC wrote:And if you have a GPS system in your car, do not program in your home location as "Home" or anything similar - if your car is stolen, first thing they'll do is look in the GPS for that location.

And because most folks also have their garage-door opener in the car... figure out the rest from there.
Also insurance cards will have your address on them, don't leave those in the glove box.
NRA Life Member

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

marksiwel wrote:Huh, just last week some "Guy" was selling "Magazines" for "school", my wife opened the door, the guy saw my CHL Target on the wall, and quickly got the point.

may I ask where this was?

DONT TREAD ON ME

USA1 wrote:
AndyC wrote:And if you have a GPS system in your car, do not program in your home location as "Home" or anything similar - if your car is stolen, first thing they'll do is look in the GPS for that location.

And because most folks also have their garage-door opener in the car... figure out the rest from there.
Yes, I have my "home" programmed to lead them directly to the Sheriffs Dept. :cool:

Learned that little trick here on the forum. :thumbs2:

Thats GREAT I am going to go do that tonite!

marksiwel
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by marksiwel »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:
marksiwel wrote:Huh, just last week some "Guy" was selling "Magazines" for "school", my wife opened the door, the guy saw my CHL Target on the wall, and quickly got the point.

may I ask where this was?
At my aparemtn complex. I had just got out of the shower, so I ducked into the other room. I put my Browning Hi Power in my Waistband Mexican Carry style and threw a shirt on over it, when he saw me walk in from the hall way, he look up at me (my wife was standing at the door) and next to me was my ] Silhouette Target from CHL Class.
He said something like "Hey, Shooter, your a good shot (Or something to that effect) Dont shoot me HA HA HA" and left.
My wife told me that she basically said NO Go Away 3 times and when I walked him thats when he got the point.
I asked her about the shooter thing, like could she see that I was carrying (I always answer the door with a gun in Reach or on me.) she said no.

I dont know the rest of my neighbors so I havent got a chance to ask them. But I've been keeping my peepers open for this guy, if I see him again doing the same thing I'm calling the cops.

I've aslo been double locking my doors and arming the security alarm
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

DONT TREAD ON ME

what city/town are you in?

DONT TREAD ON ME

sorry, reason I ask is that my neighbor here in SA had this EXACT same thing happen to her a week or so ago.

black male, late teens to twenties, in a green 15 pax van came up to her "selling magazines for school" when she told him no he harrassed her. I do not know the level of harrassment but it was enough to make her call the sheriff.

the deputy came out and told him to scram. then, with the deputy there, the punk threatened my neighbor that he would be back. no kidding, he came back with 3 x buddies in the same van before the deputy even left.

what did the deputy do? issued him a verbal warning for criminal tresspassing. :mad5

so i have been on the lookout for this van ever since and sent out an e-mail to the subdivision on the subject.

just seems very strange that the same tactic was used in your area too.
Last edited by DONT TREAD ON ME on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marksiwel
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by marksiwel »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:what city/town are you in?
Cedar Park North of Austin

It was a White Male Early 20's Redish Hair, Bad Acne Scars on face. About 5 11
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Things a homeowner won't tell you...

"Stop or I'll shoot!"

(I imagine myself getting that backwards as well) ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Off-Topic”