LEOSA

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LEOSA

Postby DONT TREAD ON ME » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:20 pm

I have a basic understanding of LEOSA. I was wondering if some of you more informed individuals out there could explain it a bit more to me.

Who is eligible?
What does it allow?
What are the "rules"/laws?
etc.
etc.
etc.

Like I said I have a basic understanding but want more info as I am looking to get into Law Enforcement within the next 2 years or so.

Thanks!

:patriot:
"The home run became glorified with Babe Ruth. Starting with him, batters have been thinking in terms of how far they could hit the ball, not how often."
~Rogers Hornsby (He hit over .400 3 times in his 23 yr. career. His career BA is .358 2nd highest in history. He won 7 batting titles.)
User avatar
DONT TREAD ON ME
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1912
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: Korea

Re: LEOSA

Postby gregthehand » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:08 am

My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.
User avatar
gregthehand
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1334
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:48 pm
Location: NW Houston, TX

Re: LEOSA

Postby chabouk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:23 am

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:I have a basic understanding of LEOSA. I was wondering if some of you more informed individuals out there could explain it a bit more to me.

Who is eligible?
What does it allow?
What are the "rules"/laws?
etc.
etc.
etc.

Like I said I have a basic understanding but want more info as I am looking to get into Law Enforcement within the next 2 years or so.

Thanks!

:patriot:

All your questions are answered in the law itself.

Who? An employee of a government agency who has statutory power of arrest and is authorized to carry firearms by the agency.
What? Carrying a concealed firearm, notwithstanding the laws of any state or political subdivision, except for state (not local) restrictions on carry on/in certain government properties; or, in violation of state laws that allow property owners to forbid guns from their private property.
Rules? You can't be intoxicated, and must carry your agency ID.

It's a very simple law, despite people's efforts to complicate it through endless "what if" games.
chabouk
Banned
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:01 am

Re: LEOSA

Postby chartreuse » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:33 am

I can see how it would be useful for folks who are currently working and even for retired folks who go out of state a lot (especially to states that don't have reciprocity with us)

But for a retired LEO who mostly stays in state, or only visits states that have reciprocity with us, it seems like a TX CHL would be less hassle, on account of not needing to qualify with a handgun annually.
chartreuse
Senior Member
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:56 am

Re: LEOSA

Postby Keith B » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:42 am

chartreuse wrote:I can see how it would be useful for folks who are currently working and even for retired folks who go out of state a lot (especially to states that don't have reciprocity with us)

But for a retired LEO who mostly stays in state, or only visits states that have reciprocity with us, it seems like a TX CHL would be less hassle, on account of not needing to qualify with a handgun annually.


However, other than the cost of qualifying if required, LEOSA is free. I think most locations don't charge for certifying the person, so you would only be out the cost of ammo. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Life Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor and RSO
Either my Spidey senses are tingling, or my butt has fallen asleep again.
User avatar
Keith B
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14296
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: LEOSA

Postby chartreuse » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:45 am

Keith B wrote:
chartreuse wrote:I can see how it would be useful for folks who are currently working and even for retired folks who go out of state a lot (especially to states that don't have reciprocity with us)

But for a retired LEO who mostly stays in state, or only visits states that have reciprocity with us, it seems like a TX CHL would be less hassle, on account of not needing to qualify with a handgun annually.


However, other than the cost of qualifying if required, LEOSA is free. I think most locations don't charge for certifying the person, so you would only be out the cost of ammo. :thumbs2:

Which you would be shooting anyway, as part of your regular practice regime.

OK - you convinced me it's better. :smile:
chartreuse
Senior Member
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:56 am

Re: LEOSA

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:12 pm

So much for equal protection.
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License
Hoosier Daddy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:46 pm
Location: Houston

Re: LEOSA

Postby Keith B » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Hoosier Daddy wrote:So much for equal protection.


What do you mean? Can you expand on your comment?
Keith
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Life Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor and RSO
Either my Spidey senses are tingling, or my butt has fallen asleep again.
User avatar
Keith B
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14296
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: LEOSA

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Retired cops are not active duty cops. They should not get rights denied to other retired people. If this is still America.
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License
Hoosier Daddy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:46 pm
Location: Houston

Re: LEOSA

Postby Keith B » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:33 pm

Hoosier Daddy wrote:Retired cops are not active duty cops. They should not get rights denied to other retired people. If this is still America.


Well, they really don't that much. They still are restricted to all carry locations like CHL's are. The only thing they get is a free qualification and license if they can fins someone to certify them for free. I personally have no issues with it; how would you like to have no capability to carry after you retired, when the guy you put in prison 3 years earlier is getting out and decides to retaliate now that you are no longer able to protect yourself. Now, CHL is OK, but LEOSA allows them to carry in other states that don't honor your state's license.

And yes, we should all have those rights, but let's face it,we currently don't, so if they get a little extra after committing their life to protecting ours, then so be it. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Life Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor and RSO
Either my Spidey senses are tingling, or my butt has fallen asleep again.
User avatar
Keith B
Senior Member
 
Posts: 14296
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: LEOSA

Postby chabouk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:48 pm

Keith B wrote:
Hoosier Daddy wrote:Retired cops are not active duty cops. They should not get rights denied to other retired people. If this is still America.


Well, they really don't that much. They still are restricted to all carry locations like CHL's are.

Under LEOSA, neither active nor retired officers are restricted as to where they can carry, except for state laws restricting carry on/in certain government property, and private property that is posted off limits according to state law.

Active and retired officers can carry in 51% locations, at professional sporting events, and at parimutuel racetracks even though CHLs cannot.
chabouk
Banned
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:01 am

Re: LEOSA

Postby A-R » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:21 am

Don't understand why someone would have a problem with this. I think it's a great law. It's a nice perk for ex-LEOs, but also a very necessary means of safety/security as Keith B aludes to. I don't mind when first-responder types and military get a few extra perks. For the most part, they deserve it. And those who don't were likely dishonorably discharged in some way.

If you want the same perks, then go wear a badge for a while.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it."

above does not apply to Westboro's Baptist Church nor those who desecrate the US flag

I am NOT a lawyer
User avatar
A-R
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5499
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: Austin area

Re: LEOSA

Postby Gearheart » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:20 pm

Would this one do?

Image
User avatar
Gearheart
Member
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:48 am

Re: LEOSA

Postby joe817 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:57 pm

Oh good grief Gearheart! :totap: :nono:

:biggrinjester:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380
User avatar
joe817
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5468
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 pm
Location: Arlington

Re: LEOSA

Postby gigag04 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:24 pm

Hoosier Daddy wrote:Retired cops are not active duty cops. They should not get rights denied to other retired people. If this is still America.


thugs don't care if you are retired. I get e-mails from our intel branch daily about TDC and Fed releases of prisoners - some have been away for 15-20 years. Many of their arresting officers have retired...I think they should still be allowed to protect themselves wherever they are.

In the NE and smaller states, many of these officers deal with out of state offenders, as people commute across state lines.

What does former peace officers being allowed to carry have anything to do with this being America? And why are you so upset?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
User avatar
gigag04
Senior Member
 
Posts: 5306
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: Houston

Next

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, RoadRunnerTR21 and 3 guests