Wasp/Hornet Spray (Stream)

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
stash
Posts in topic: 1

Wasp/Hornet Spray (Stream)

Post by stash »

Hope this is being posted in the right place. I read an article the other day about wasp/hornet type sprays which indicated they are effective in stopping an assailant by blinding them for a period of time. The thing that seemed pretty good about them is they put a stream out about 20 feet. Now I know that Texas law says something about these types of items (mace/chili spray) can only be carried in small amounts (2-4 ozs.) but this wasp/hornet stuff comes in like 12-16 oz. cans and I wonder if they would be legal. I know they would be to big to carry but one around the house or in the car might be a good thing. I really like the 20 foot stream that they put out.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Wasp/Hornet Spray (Stream)

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It is also poisonous. It may or may not be effective in the application you propose... I don't know about that. But I do know that if I was legally justified in poisoning someone from 20 feet away, I would probably also be justified in shooting them.

Personally, I think using wasp spray as a human deterrent is not a good idea. What if you don't blind the assailant, and instead just tick him off worse than he already is?

Also, did some research....

http://www0.epinions.com/review/Raid_Wa ... 7089136260
Observations

Raid Wasp & Hornet Spray is an extraordinarily effective product. That means it is extremely toxic to bees and humans, so real care has to be taken to assure you are handling this product in the safest possible manner. I would certainly recommend gloves, eyewear and avoid contact with your skin as per instructions on the can. In addition the manufacturer recommends you remove any clothing that has been sprayed with Raid Wasp & Hornet Spray and rinse for 15 minutes.

The active ingredients include:

.20% Tetramethrin…. A suspected carcinogen and neuro toxicant
.20% Peremethrin…Carcinogen, endocrine, gastrointestinal, neuro, reproductive & liver toxicant
99.6% Other Ingredients

You have to understand that while these are toxic ingredients, you really do not know how much is enough to cause you injury. If you are pregnant, do you really want to use this product?

What about the 99.6% of other ingredients? We are label readers and many assume that because the product isn’t listed that the 99.6% of other ingredients is safe, not so! I a report by the New York environmental Protection Bureau, dated May 200 ordered by Elliot Spitzer, New Yorks Attorney General,** it was determined \“Pesticide products contain a variety of ingredients that either are known to be toxic or have not been adequately tested for toxicity and the public is denied of their presence.” These inert products can include :

Chlorethane
Cresoils
Dibutylphthalate
Dimethylphthalate
Epichlohydrin
Isophorone
Napthalene
Phenol
Toulene

that can cause nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, skin, eye irritations, pancreatitis, nervous system disruption, dizziness, respiratory paralysis, comas and a sundry assortment of maladies including death.

Now, please do not get the impression that I am a raging environmentalist here; this is not the purpose of this piece. While Raid Wasp & Hornet Spray is an extraordinary exterminating spray, I want you to be keenly aware that it is also a product with that needs to be used with the utmost care. While the above list of products is not a laundry list of ingredients, Raid chooses not to reveal them to you leaving the consumer in the dark about the product they throw into their shopping carts. In the absence of information, know that these are the likely candidates for the “Other Ingredients” list. Do you want to spray this in your home, where you, your kids, pets reside? I would likely isolate the area and follow up with a thorough cleaning afterwards. Enough about the caveats.
I would not want to be using this product in any situation where wind, for instance, or other environmental variables (like being inside my car) might cause me to be exposed to the effects when using it. Far simpler and less risk to me to just shoot the sonofagun. The bottom line for me is that anyone who can be deterred from 20 feet away by an aerosol bug spray probably isn't enough of a threat to me to require the use of deadly force. I'd rather just walk away. And anyone who is a serious threat to me from 20 feet away is gonna get shot if he comes any closer.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LaserTex

Post by LaserTex »

And hope you do kill them as intentionally blinding someone with poison spray will at least get you a lawsuit.

Doug (not a lawyer nor do I want to be) :txflag:
LaserTex
Air Force Retired ** Life Member VFW ** NRA Member **
** Life Member AmVets ** Patriot Guard Rider **

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

As a carried weapon there are much better secondary non lethal weapons than the wasp spray.

The application that it does have is for instance at work where most cannot carry.

When in the Pattern shop at the foundry, Spring brought a lot of those critters in & out of open doors & windows. There were several cans around there.

If you are working in any kind of warehouse, store room, it may be a viable option.

If your work station is one of 86 6X8 cubicles on the 2nd floor it probably would raise some ?s.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

What TAM said +1.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LaserTex wrote:And hope you do kill them as intentionally blinding someone with poison spray will at least get you a lawsuit.

Doug (not a lawyer nor do I want to be) :txflag:
My point exactly.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

silverbear

Post by silverbear »

I remember reading a folk-lore type of email where granny used it at a deterrent at the country bank she worked at to stop a robber - or something like that. I've also heard its good for walks where you may encounter unleashed dogs.

I personally carry pepper spray as part of my EDC these days as does my wife. Will probably continue to do so even after my plastic arrives. Effective range on my pocket carry pepper spray is about 15 feet. Its the stream, not the fog, type of unit.
I support the right to arm bears.

tornado

Post by tornado »

This has also been covered by Snopes. http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

I will point out that its flammable. Very much so.
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

Bug sprays are often nerve agents, and can do permanent damage.
During Desert Storm, we had an unplanned chemical attack drill when someone innocently sprayed for bugs near a chemical detector. It was not funny until much later.
I wouldn't plan on using it as a defensive weapon, but would consider it as a weapon of opportunity if nothing better is at hand.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

threoh8 wrote:Bug sprays are often nerve agents, and can do permanent damage.
During Desert Storm, we had an unplanned chemical attack drill when someone innocently sprayed for bugs near a chemical detector. It was not funny until much later.
I wouldn't plan on using it as a defensive weapon, but would consider it as a weapon of opportunity if nothing better is at hand.
yep. Like a Fire Extinguisher. Would I carry one around for defense? No, but if it was laying around, go for it
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I had always used ammonia in a trigger spray for dogs and cats. Also keeps them out of your trash.
I sure would not want a face full of it.
Can also be diluted with water, if you are one of those who carries a .22 :mrgreen:
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

Some old gal in Jasper used a can of Raid on a mugger last summer. Stopped him cold. Cops had to take him to the hospital to stop the reaction. Fine product, that Raid. Works on wasps and bees, too. :mrgreen:

Return to “Off-Topic”