iPad

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 16

Re: iPad

Post by The Annoyed Man »

SQLGeek wrote:I'm not making fun of the name, I just don't like it. I'm hardly alone in that opinion either. Looking at the ThinkPad on my desk right now, you raise a valid point but it also doesn't seem quite the same to me. No biggie either way, the name certainly isn't what is keeping me from buying one. I'd rather spend the money on a gun. :tiphat:
And now we finally have the required gun angle. :smilelol5: Took us long enough to get there! "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

I just got back from looking at them at the Apple store in Southlake. I was kind of disappointed. They are smaller than I thought they would be. I asked one of the salespeople when the 3G version was going to deliver, and he said, "We don't have a date yet. All they've told us is, 'a couple of weeks.'"

I asked him if Apple had any plans to bring out a 4G version, and he said that his best guess was not until the end of next year, because AT&T hasn't switched on their 4G network yet, and a 4G version wouldn't come out until after AT&T actually makes the technology available.

Although I'm a total Mac guy, I've lived this long without an iPhone (thanks, Verizon! :grumble ), so I imagine that I can live for a while without an iPad.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

marksiwel
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by marksiwel »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I just got back from looking at them at the Apple store in Southlake. I was kind of disappointed. They are smaller than I thought they would be. I asked one of the salespeople when the 3G version was going to deliver, and he said, "We don't have a date yet. All they've told us is, 'a couple of weeks.'"

I asked him if Apple had any plans to bring out a 4G version, and he said that his best guess was not until the end of next year, because AT&T hasn't switched on their 4G network yet, and a 4G version wouldn't come out until after AT&T actually makes the technology available.

Although I'm a total Mac guy, I've lived this long without an iPhone (thanks, Verizon! :grumble ), so I imagine that I can live for a while without an iPad.
Get a Droid, they are neat
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

The Annoyed Man

marksiwel wrote:Get a Droid, they are neat
Yes, they are. My son has one and is well satisfied with it. I'm just too invested right now in my Blackberry, but when it makes financial sense to get rid of it, I will.

#TINVOWOOT

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

played with an iPad at best buy. Love it.

Too bad that hitler vid is too true....
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 14

Post by pbwalker »

the iPad in action. This is my 18 month old girl with a spelling app.
[youtube][/youtube]
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

davidtx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by davidtx »

pbwalker wrote:the iPad in action. This is my 18 month old girl with a spelling app.
[youtube][/youtube]
Cool!

UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 1

Post by UpTheIrons »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
davidtx wrote:Please send any iPad (or iPhone/iPod touch) app ideas my way...
Howabout a really first rate ballistics calculator? My son has a copy of Shooter on his Android, and it is a really first rate app. It includes spindrift and Coriolis effect and uses the device's accelerometer to calculate degree of inclination, as well as incorporating a really good bullet library, etc., etc., etc.
Isn't the Winchester app supposed to be "all that and a bag of chips"? I know you can download it for free, but I don't have an iPhone (yet) , so I can't try it out to see.
http://www.winchester.com/library/news/ ... neApp.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose porting it to the iPad would be pretty easy. Of course, if it is Winchester-centric, then I could see how it would not be too useful to those who use other ammo. That Shooter app does look nice, though.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Topic author
pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

I use Ballistic FTE and love it! Well worth the cost and it's almost completed for the iPad.

http://ballistic.zdziarski.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who'sJohnGalt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Who'sJohnGalt »

NcongruNt wrote: I see a lot more uses for my $600 that will actually accomplish something that needs accomplishing.
This is true to many of us but how many times have you heard people ask why you spent $600 on a piece of metal? Especially when you have a "few" others.

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NcongruNt »

Who'sJohnGalt wrote:
NcongruNt wrote: I see a lot more uses for my $600 that will actually accomplish something that needs accomplishing.
This is true to many of us but how many times have you heard people ask why you spent $600 on a piece of metal? Especially when you have a "few" others.
Yes, but there's a couple of distinct differences...

My "pieces of metal" aren't going to be completely depreciated in value in just a few years. Just the opposite, they're all going to be worth more in the future than they were when I purchased them. I can even turn around and sell them a couple of months later for pretty much what I bought them for, or perhaps more - depending on if I bought them new or used.

Each one fills a specific need. While the Ruger LCP and the Mosin-Nagant 91/30 are both firearms, they do drastically different jobs. They both fill in specific needs for defense and pleasure, and require much different proficiencies to become skilled with each. Their purposes are for both utility an pleasure, but firearm ownership has much more fundamental and practical purposes than gadgets of the month like the iPad.

As others have posted above, there are some useful applications for the iPad. None of them are applicable for me, and I'm not making light of anyone's experiences who have found a practical use for them. I do, however, believe that the vast majority of people have acquired it for the purpose of acquiring it. It's the new trendy thing to buy and therefore it must be purchased. It is that attitude which I do not understand.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

The Annoyed Man

I refuse to let this thread die a lonely death! "rlol"

I ran across this news item today:

German tablet PC sets out to rival Apple's iPad
New German tablet PC dubbed WePad set to rival Apple's iPad
AP - Yahoo News
Juergen Baetz, Associated Press Writer, On Monday April 12, 2010, 4:11 pm EDT

BERLIN (AP) -- The German maker of a new tablet PC is setting out to rival Apple's iPad with the promise of even more technology such as a bigger screen, a webcam and USB ports.

It is not, however, an "iPad killer" as it has been dubbed by some blogs but an alternative to its bigger rival, Neofonie GmbH's founder and managing director Helmut Hoffer von Ankershoffen told reporters on Monday in Berlin.

Ankershoffen stressed the system's openness: Two USB ports allow users to connect all kinds of devices with the WePad, from external keyboards to data sticks.

People who want to put music on their WePad do not have to have any particular software, Ankershoffen said -- a blow at Apple's devices that require particular Apple software like iTunes.

The WePad's basic version, which comes with Wi-Fi and 16-gigabyte storage, is set to cost euro449 ($600), the larger 32-gigabyte version with a fast 3G modem is euro569.

Ankershoffen claimed that given its technological superiority and greater openness, "that's a bargain compared with the iPad."

The iPad -- which hit stores in the U.S. less than a month ago -- is on sale there starting at $499 for the smallest version, coming with Wi-Fi and a 16 GB storage.

The WePad, with its 11.6-inch screen, is powered by an Intel chip and relies on a Linux software basis which is compatible with Google's Android and all Flash applications, Ankershoffen said.

When it hits stores starting late July, it will also boast a complete open source office package, he said.

Reporters could not test the device at the press conference.

Berlin-based Neofonie -- a small company of some 180 employees -- claims it already has some 20,000 people interested in signing up for a pre-order, even though orders won't be formally accepted before April 27.

Ankershoffen declined to give a sales estimate. "Not thousands, not tens of thousands but many more will be sold before the end of the year," he said.

The WePad is to be assembled by a manufacturer in Asia -- which Ankershoffen refused to name -- that can ramp up production capacity according to demand, he said

Neofonie casts the WePad as helping the media industry find a way to market paid content and hopes to appeal to publishers, some of whom are disgruntled with Apple's pricing policy and restrictions.

The device would allow publishers to sell their content on its platform without monopolizing the customer relationship, as Apple's iTunes or Amazon's Kindle do, the company said.

Gruner + Jahr, one of Europe's largest magazine publishers, already has a partnership with Neofonie, offering the company's flagship magazine, Stern, on the platform.

"It will be the first magazine, but others will certainly follow," Stern's deputy chief Tobias Seikel said at the press conference.

Germany's biggest publisher, Berlin-based Axel Springer AG, is in talks with Neofonie, but no cooperation is planned yet, spokesman Christian Garrels said.

"We want to offer our company's brands on several platforms with a high range," Garrels told The Associated Press.

The company's flagship daily, Bild, previously had trouble with its iPhone application because Apple censors sexually explicit content, such as the paper's daily nude photo.

Apple's iPad will go on sale in Germany at the end of April, according to the company's Web site. This would give the iPad roughly a three month lead on its German competitor.

Neofonie seems determined to face its big California rival: The company distributed tasty red apples boasting the WePad's logo at the press conference.

However, both companies have to prove that the touch screen device will not only amaze the tech-savvy early users, but will also appeal to mainstream consumers at a time when people have already a lot of Internet-connected gadgets -- smart phones, laptops, e-book readers, set-top boxes and home broadband connections.

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

pbwalker wrote:
marksiwel wrote:I have a phone and I have lap top
i see no need
It's not a phone or a laptop...those are technologies that Apple is not targeting with the iPad.

*just saw TAM's reply...and yes, it is essentially a toy. For me, it'll be a toy to teach ABC's and 123's to my daughter without having to sit at a computer or buying flash cards. It's a toy that I can have in the kitchen when I want to pull a quick recipe for dinner. It's a toy that will allow me to read the news without having to lug a laptop around. Lastly, it's a toy that will allow me to watch movies on my 4+ monthly flights to NYC. That being said, yes...Apple is lacking on the business side of the house.
[THREAD NECROMANCY]
OK, I caved. I bought finally bought one. I was holding out for the Android version, but I actually found some uses for an iPad. In fact, I am using mine to give a 10 minute presentation tomorrow morning.

I bought the 64 Gig with WiFi + 3G.
[/THREAD NECROMANCY]

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Very nice! Many of the people I know who were bashing the iPad initially (not saying you...people at work or acquaintances), purchased one. I just chuckle.

I wound up buying a second one. The original one I purchased essentially was hijacked by my wife. I couldn't take it with me on the road or out to the lease, so I got fed up and got another. I won't buy the 3G version primarily because I jailbroke my iPhone and made it in to a WiFi Hot Spot.

Return to “Off-Topic”