Strange People

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
clbryant1981
Posts in topic: 2

Strange People

Post by clbryant1981 »

So yesterday I went to my local range and had a little fun. On my way home two young guys started following me in a truck, yelling, and cussing. As always when I leave the range I stop by my local gun shop to shoot the bull and get more ammo. So I pull in to the gun shop, and the guys pull in behind me. At first I think maybe they are going to another store in the same shopping center. I get out (took my bag with my guns in with me) they follow me into the store. They stand at a counter and stare at the wall for a few seconds then leave. Walk down about 3 doors to the convienient store and stand in front if it drinking sodas and staring at the store. The guy that owns the gun store said they had already been there once that morning, and was puzzled as to their behavior when they were there the first time. Needless to say there were about 5 of us in there all with guns, not smart on their part. They hung out in the parking lot for about a half hour, then left. We all thought they were just acting strange. Strange people I guess.
Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Cal Bi Tone

Plastic 5-23-10 (45 days)

Teamless
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Strange People

Post by Teamless »

sometimes people are very strange.

I have to ask, for the bag with the guns that you took into the store, did you have loaded magazines (in or out of the weapons?) By your status, you do not have your CHL yet, so if you had loaded mag's or weapons, by what I see is the technical review of the law, you were carrying concealed, so just want to make you aware, had you not thought of that?

I can speculate only, that if an officer pulled up found you with your range bag, loaded weapons or not, but with ammo also in the bag, I wonder if they could technically say you were carrying concealed as well?
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
clbryant1981
Posts in topic: 2

Post by clbryant1981 »

Guns unloaded, ammo in another part of the bag, I have been in that situation in the same gun store and asked the cop that came in and just told him I was there to get something looked at, he said there was nothing wrong with the way I did that, as they were unloaded and not on my body. However there was a loaded magazines with hollow points in the bag, just in case.
Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Cal Bi Tone

Plastic 5-23-10 (45 days)

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

OK, thanks, just curious. I am still not sure, if I do not have a CHL that I would tempt fate and carry anything with a magazine and weapon both easily accessible.
League City, TX

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

There are some strange people in this world, and they can act like jerks. It's one of the prices we pay for living in a free country.

I wish I had a dollar for every time some idiot yelled or shook his fist at me or gave me a one-finger salute in traffic.
I can speculate only, that if an officer pulled up found you with your range bag, loaded weapons or not, but with ammo also in the bag, I wonder if they could technically say you were carrying concealed as well?
Number 1, the Motorist Protection Act (HB 1815, now embodied in PC 46.02) allows anyone to carry a concealed handgun in a motor vehicle.

Number 2, PC 46.15 allows you to carry a handgun to and from a range, with no restriction on being concealed or not, loaded or not.

Number 3, case law allows you to carry a handgun to and from a gun store or gunsmith.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

seamusTX wrote:Number 1, the Motorist Protection Act (HB 1815, now embodied in PC 46.02) allows anyone to carry a concealed handgun in a motor vehicle.

Number 2, PC 46.15 allows you to carry a handgun to and from a range, with no restriction on being concealed or not, loaded or not.

Number 3, case law allows you to carry a handgun to and from a gun store or gunsmith.

- Jim
Shave and a haircut, two bits!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

seamusTX wrote:Number 3, case law allows you to carry a handgun to and from a gun store or gunsmith.
seamusTX, as I knew, however my concern is only that some novice LEO following the "LETTER" rather than "SPIRIT" of the law, finding loaded mag's in the bag as well, may cite for unlawful carrying of a concealed weapon.
That's all I was trying to warn about
League City, TX

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Teamless wrote:... some novice LEO following the "LETTER" rather than "SPIRIT" of the law, finding loaded mag's in the bag as well, may cite for unlawful carrying of a concealed weapon.
A law enforcement officer who can't find a reason to arrest a person needs to turn in his badge. There are so many laws, so vaguely written, that no one can avoid violating all of them all the time.

(I think the late Ms. Rand had something to say about that.)

As for PC 46.01 and 46.02, the definitions of handgun and unlawfully carrying weapons say nothing about the handgun being loaded or having ammunition available. Someone could be arrested for carrying a pistol that had no firing pin and was rusted and damaged beyond repair.

<soapbox>We have to exercise our rights fearlessly, or just stay in bed.

There's probably a law somewhere against staying in bed, too.</soapbox>

- Jim

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

Teamless wrote:I have to ask, for the bag with the guns that you took into the store, did you have loaded magazines (in or out of the weapons?)
Loaded or unloaded doesn't make a difference in Texas. A good instructor should cover that in class.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

seamusTX wrote:
Teamless wrote:... some novice LEO following the "LETTER" rather than "SPIRIT" of the law, finding loaded mag's in the bag as well, may cite for unlawful carrying of a concealed weapon.
A law enforcement officer who can't find a reason to arrest a person needs to turn in his badge. There are so many laws, so vaguely written, that no one can avoid violating all of them all the time.

As for PC 46.01 and 46.02, the definitions of handgun and unlawfully carrying weapons say nothing about the handgun being loaded or having ammunition available. Someone could be arrested for carrying a pistol that had no firing pin and was rusted and damaged beyond repair.

- Jim

Beat me to it.

I hate those "novice" LEOs. "rlol"
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

Strange. :headscratch
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

seamustx: Here's what you were thinking of, above.

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Ayn Rand, 1905-1982

Oh, and while I retrieved the above, here's another from her:

Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights:
it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.

SIA sourced the above, plus many other quotes, at http://www.brainyquote.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:seamustx: Here's what you were thinking of, above.

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Yes, of course.

Rand left out some things, like taxation and regulation; but that is the principle of making everyone a criminal.

She wrote half a century ago. Few laws have been abolished since then, and many have been added.

- Jim

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

seamusTX wrote:

- Jim
True any experienced officer can find a reason to arrest someone but making an arrest and making a case can be two very different things.

Too many arrests by an officer that will not/cannot be prosecuted will start making the officer look bad in the department.

Making a lot of extra, useless work for the department, wasting your time on these types of arrests instead of making the good busts will not get you an atta boy from the Police Chief or Sherriff.

I have seen people arrested for minor things that can’t be prosecuted. They were released on a P.R. bond and the charges dropped.

Do they still have Personal Recognizance bonds?
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Return to “Off-Topic”