Knife sharpening.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Rescue1
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Knife sharpening.

Post by Rescue1 »

just like it almost everything else there is no "best" steel. it all depends on what you want to accomplish and how much upkeep you want to do.

but basically the more carbon content in the blade the longer the blade will stay sharp but conversly it will rust if not cared for properly. there are some new composite blades out there like sv30s, sv60s and a few others. from what i understand it's basicaly powedered steel formed into a blade so it's completly uniform. i've sharpened a sv30s blade before and honestly couldn't tell the difference vs say a cold steel or Anza knife. both of which have high carbon tool steel in there blades.

for everyday carry that wont kill the wallet look at AUS8 or the chinese equivalent 8Cr13Mov both are 58-59 rock hardness with high carbon content but are stainless. AUS6 is one of the most common Stainless Steels and IMO way too soft. you can put a nice edge on it but you will be constantly sharpening it.

look at ANZA knives, they are made from files. my Father in-law sells them too so i've held many of them and can say they fit very well in my hand, hold an edge very well,and come with a lifetime warranty. People have come back to him to get them touched up after skinning, with storys of them being able to do 2 or 3 deer before becomming dull.

Topic author
shortysboy09
Posts in topic: 5

Post by shortysboy09 »

Thanks Rescue1,

A lot of the custom knives I am looking at all made out of old saw-mill blades. I guess they keep their edge pretty well too?

Anza, never heard that name before but I will go check them out right now.
Disclaimer for all my posts: IANAL

My setup:

Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II or Bersa Thunder .380
Crossbreed Supertuck

NRA Member
TSRA Member

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

I have a set of Lanskys, and several other things that have been gifted to me by my family over the years, but most of the time if I am just doing a touch up, which is most of the time because, just like everything else, maintenance saves repair, I just hit the blade a few licks with a whetstone or a fine Arkansas stone.

I save razor sharp for razors, and you wan't catch me cutting much paper or any cardboard with my good blades, that's what box cutters are for, with thr away blades.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Having sharpened knives my hand and doing so certainly does the best job, but I've gotten lazy so bought a Chefs Choice 120, which is about what I paid for it.

For very quick and easy it does a great job.

driver8

Post by driver8 »

I've collected quite a few and as far as steel, German Solingen steel such as Eye Brand, Puma, Boker, Hen & Rooster are the ones that I have the best luck staying sharp. The best ones I have are Eye Brand with Solingen carbon steel. For hunting knives look at Puma. Especially the white hunter. I always wanted one but not bad enough to pay the price.

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Ah, okay. I'm not an advanced knifemaker, just a rookie, but here's what I can offer on what I have experience with.

Don't know if my favorite steels will suit you much, I like carbon steel blades (01 and D2 in particular), if not cared for and oiled they will eventually rust. From my experience carbon blades won't hold an edge quite as long as a high quality stainless, but they resharpen easily. 440C (much different that the $20.00 knives they advertise as simple "440") is actually a pretty descent stainless steel. Not top of the line, but a really good steel. Pretty affordable also.

When you start getting into the pricier steels such as 154 CM, CPMS 30V, CPM154 etc you get top notch edge retention. A little more time consuming to resharpen, but every plus has it's minus.

As stated before, I'm a rookie knifemaker, and I may be off on some details.

JLaw
Six for sure.

Rescue1

Post by Rescue1 »

440c completly slipped my mind. yes it is superior to AUS8 in every way. has a higher rock hardness. i think it's 58-60 with higher levels of carbon.
the carbon content is a direct relation to sharpening ability and the chromium is hardness.

unless you spend bookoo bucks on some of the high end blades like the sv60s or other space age type materials, the 440c, AUS8, 13Cr, stainless variety will do you fine.

one of my garage knives is a 440B blade. it takes an edge very well but looses it after only one task. it's very soft.

Rescue1

Post by Rescue1 »

driver8 wrote:I've collected quite a few and as far as steel, German Solingen steel such as Eye Brand, Puma, Boker, Hen & Rooster are the ones that I have the best luck staying sharp. The best ones I have are Eye Brand with Solingen carbon steel. For hunting knives look at Puma. Especially the white hunter. I always wanted one but not bad enough to pay the price.
i'm familure with Puma, boker and hen & rooster and all are quality. but.. you need to be careful of boker. they have started producing "value" lines. with some knives retailing for less than $15 from their own catalog.

i googled eye brand, they hammer forge their steel blades. that's impressive, would be a great blade.

GOP

Post by GOP »

Read this:

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekEK_Sharpening.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About as simple as can be.
Carry guns:
SIG P239 in 357sig
SIG P239 in 40sw
SIG P220
SIG GSR 1911
All with Crimson Trace Laser Grips

"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
-Luke 22:36

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Under the tutelage of a great knife maker and friend who's no longer with us...I made three knives using 440 Vanadium with Micarta handles.

He had an advanced degree in metallurgy and near the end of his life could no longer find the Vanadium stainless material. So I made one more knife in a high high quality carbon content - and yes, an edge is much easier to attain using this material, but no, doesn't hold it as well.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I use a piece of hard Arkansas white stone for most knife sharpening, and one of those Boy Scouts "pen type" sharpeners for getting after the serrations on serrated knife blades.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”