Thanking our troops

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
canvasbck
Posts in topic: 3

Thanking our troops

Post by canvasbck »

Excuse the long post, but a little background is needed for this one. I thought that since it is independance day weekend, it was a good time to get something like this going.

During the first Gulf War, my brother and I had gone out to eat with our stepfather who is a Vietnam vet and a purple heart recipient. While we were eating, three uniformed military members came into the resteraunt. My stepdad called the waitress over and requested that after they order, she bring their check over to him. My brother and I kind of looked at him funny as if to say "why". I will never forget his response and this is the verbatum quote: "After the way we were treated when we came home from Vietnam, I swore that as long as I'm alive, I would do something to make sure that no other returning war vets are treated the same way. So what I have been doing is make sure that during wartime, no military personell will pay for their meal in my presence." My brother and I have since picked up the same practice. Of course my brother tends to come across military personel when he's dining at Taco Bell, I seem to always see them at Olive Garden. We will, when possible do it annonymously (impossible to do at Taco Bell) unless the person recieving the meal insists on knowing, then we allow the waitress to tell them.

This practice has been extremely rewarding. Once we were eating breakfast in FL when we saw a group of about 25 Army Rangers that were seated near us. I was leary of spending over $100 on breakfast, but my wife insisted that we maintain our practice. I relented. The soldiers insisted on knowing who paid for their breakfast. I had failed to notice that the guy who was sitting at the head of the table was in a wheelchair. He rolled himself over to me to shake my hand and allowed me to thank him. He had lost his legs to an IED and most of the guys eating breakfast with him had served with him in Iraq. I have not worried about the cost of the meal ever since.

I know some of you who live near military bases would not be able to do this or you would be buying meals every time you went out to eat. But the rest of us can do our part to thank our local heros any time we see them out. Please join us in saying thanks to our troops. :patriot:
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

cougartex
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Thanking our troops

Post by cougartex »

Great idea. :clapping:

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a
blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount up to and including his life. Happy 4th of July! :patriot:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

joe817

Post by joe817 »

What a wonderful way to show our support of our men & women in uniform! I hope this act of patriotism that canvasbck's stepdad showed catches on. It's sure on my list of priorities! :patriot:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

I know others (active/guard/reseve/prior service/retired) here will chip in on this one but I want to say thank you for what you are doing. You do not know what that means to vets. There are too many stories in the news that are negative of the troops or the rights that we fight to keep and it can make it very hard to want to continue serving. Something small like this or just a thank you can boost a soldier/marine/airman/sailor's morale incredibly. So, thank you :tiphat:

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

I think that everyone should read this article...

http://www.ussboston.org/MayISaluteYou.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quahog

Post by Quahog »

This is an outstanding idea and I, for one, am going to help the cause. Next time I see some active duty folks, I am going to pick up their tab.

I remember coming home from Vietnam. We were ordered to change out of our uniforms and into out civilian clothes due to the war protesters, the violence, etc. Coming into the San Fran airport, they were spitting on us to show their disdain. I've never forgotten that to this day.
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." -- Ronald Reagan

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

Topic author
canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:I know others (active/guard/reseve/prior service/retired) here will chip in on this one but I want to say thank you for what you are doing. You do not know what that means to vets. There are too many stories in the news that are negative of the troops or the rights that we fight to keep and it can make it very hard to want to continue serving. Something small like this or just a thank you can boost a soldier/marine/airman/sailor's morale incredibly. So, thank you :tiphat:
No thanks are necessary, what we do is trivial and insignifigant compared to what is being risked by our troops. One of the reasons that we try to stay annonymous is so that the soldier does not feel obligated to thank us for the meal. Those of us sitting at home on our expanding backsides while they are sleeping in a sandy tent owe our thanks to the soldiers.

I am glad to hear that it means something to them/you, because at times it feels inadequate compared to what they/you have done for us.

Topic author
canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Quahog wrote:This is an outstanding idea and I, for one, am going to help the cause. Next time I see some active duty folks, I am going to pick up their tab.

I remember coming home from Vietnam. We were ordered to change out of our uniforms and into out civilian clothes due to the war protesters, the violence, etc. Coming into the San Fran airport, they were spitting on us to show their disdain. I've never forgotten that to this day.
Thank you for your service. I'm sorry you had to deal with those idiots when you came home from serving your country under the most horrible of circumstances. I would be honored to one day pick up your tab or range fee.

edited to correct my pathetic spelling, I kin speel gud

Return to “Off-Topic”