Anyone into hot peppers?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
secure
Posts in topic: 8

Anyone into hot peppers?

Post by secure »

I have been growing ghost peppers (bhut jolokia) for about 18 months and finally have some ripe peppers to try out. Lets just say all my pores are wide open.... :drool:

Anyone tried one of these?

Quahog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Anyone into hot peppers?

Post by Quahog »

I read something about ghost peppers being used in some of the better pepper sprays. Are they good eating or are you crying and wiping your nose as your write?

p.s. you can send me one if you feel real generous. Hehe :smilelol5:
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." -- Ronald Reagan

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

Topic author
secure

Post by secure »

The heat comes on immediately and lasts a good half hour. It intensifies for about the first 10 minutes then it plains out.
I have seen people selling theirs on ebay for $5 each. Pretty crazy. I am not at a point where I have enough ripe peppers to give out. They are slow to ripen.
As for the taste, its practically nonexistent, just instant heat!! Pores open quickly. I think my ears actually were sweating.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 4

Post by pbwalker »

Where did you find seeds for them?
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Topic author
secure

Post by secure »

eBay

Quahog

Post by Quahog »

secure wrote:The heat comes on immediately and lasts a good half hour. It intensifies for about the first 10 minutes then it plains out.
I have seen people selling theirs on ebay for $5 each. Pretty crazy. I am not at a point where I have enough ripe peppers to give out. They are slow to ripen.
As for the taste, its practically nonexistent, just instant heat!! Pores open quickly. I think my ears actually were sweating.
I remember when I first moved to Texas... I planted some Jalapenos and when the first harvest came in, I washed one off, took a bit and spent the next 45 mins trying to kill the heat. LOL

Since then, I have learned to "pace' myself. Hehe
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." -- Ronald Reagan

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

USA1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by USA1 »

Just one look at that thing tells me it's too hot for me. :shock:
My eyes are watering just thinking about it.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by WildBill »

I haven't tried the Ghost Pepper, but Chile Pequins are the hottest pepper that I have ever seen or eaten. They make jalapenos and habeneros seem wimpy. They are readily available in Mexico or in the Texas border towns like McAllen. I used to get ;home-grown peppers from my friends in Mexico or at the HEB in Edinburg. They are available dried at most stores, but are hard to find fresh. In Houston, I have had some success buying the fresh peppers at stores that cater to the Mexicans. The fully grown pepper ia smaller than a green pea, but they have more heat than anything I have ever tasted. I have tried to grow them, but without sucess. Apparently the pepper has to be eaten and digested by a bird in order to make the seeds sprout.

NRA Endowment Member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

WildBill wrote:I haven't tried the Ghost Pepper, but Chile Pequins are the hottest pepper that I have ever seen or eaten. They make jalapenos and habeneros seem wimpy. They are readily available in Mexico or in the Texas border towns like McAllen. I used to get ;home-grown peppers from my friends in Mexico or at the HEB in Edinburg. They are available dried at most stores, but are hard to find fresh. In Houston, I have had some success buying the fresh peppers at stores that cater to the Mexicans. The fully grown pepper ia smaller than a green pea, but they have more heat than anything I have ever tasted. I have tried to grow them, but without sucess. Apparently the pepper has to be eaten and digested by a bird in order to make the seeds sprout.

Meeeeee too! My first & only experience with those was when I was 15 and visiting a friend out in the country. They had a bowl sitting on the kitchen table that they'd just picked from the garden. I asked what those were and Larry's dad said they were mild sweet peppers. I popped 2 in my mouth and chewed on them until my lower lip caught on fire and slid off my face to the floor! :shock: I think I drank a gallon of milk and ate a stick of butter just to be able to tolerate the heat. Larry's dad & mom thought it was funny. I thought they should have taken me to the hospital for 3rd degree burns. It took me a long time to forgive them for pulling such a prank.

Nowdays I just stay away from them & stick to the much milder jalapeño.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
secure

Post by secure »

I think the scale puts the Chile Pequin around 30-60k scoville area.

The ghost pepper is not an enjoyable experience if you ask me but its one to mark off the bucket list.

Lefty Writer

Post by Lefty Writer »

I was raised eating jalepeno and serrano peppers. Being from the Corpus Christi area, that's just what we did, and I didn't think anything of it. I moved to Colorado for a few years and was quite surprised to see how much blander my neighbors liked their food. I had to be very careful when I cooked, not to over spice my food for those mountain people.

I'm glad I moved back to Texas, where more of us appreciate the spicier side of life.

:txflag:

TXlaw1

Post by TXlaw1 »

Secure - your second picture reminded me of an incident over 50 years ago when I was a missionaries kid in Jamaica. Just outside the back door was a pepper plan with peppers that looked a lot like those. My baby brother, about 2 years old, got into these pretty peppers, smash them in his little hands, and rubbed them on this face, in his eyes and his mouth. I remember the hours of screaming in pain the whole family endured as my parents did all they could to stop the burning. It still in vivid as I relive that situation now.

So if anyone has pepper plants that toddlers could get into, please take necessary precautions to avoid such a painful event.
Jesus said, "And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 NET) Also, Jesus said, "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own homestead, his possessions are undisturbed"(Luke 11:21 NAS)

Topic author
secure

Post by secure »

In addition to that make sure you dont handle them and then go to the bathroom. You will only do that once, hopefully.

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

TXlaw1 wrote:Secure - your second picture reminded me of an incident over 50 years ago when I was a missionaries kid in Jamaica. Just outside the back door was a pepper plan with peppers that looked a lot like those. My baby brother, about 2 years old, got into these pretty peppers, smash them in his little hands, and rubbed them on this face, in his eyes and his mouth. I remember the hours of screaming in pain the whole family endured as my parents did all they could to stop the burning. It still in vivid as I relive that situation now.

So if anyone has pepper plants that toddlers could get into, please take necessary precautions to avoid such a painful event.
Do not let this information out, the brady bunchers will want pepper licensing. IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!!!
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

secure wrote:I think the scale puts the Chile Pequin around 30-60k scoville area.

The ghost pepper is not an enjoyable experience if you ask me but its one to mark off the bucket list.
Eesh! I'll stick to Habaneros and call it good. Ghost Peppers are one of those 'try and die' peppers...lol
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Return to “Off-Topic”