Share your recipes - cooking/food

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Warhammer
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Share your recipes - cooking/food

Post by Warhammer »

Sidro wrote:Easy Omelet

Mix how many eggs you want in it and pour into quart ziploc freezer bag. Add any thing else you want such as cheese, cooked bacon or sausage, ham, leftover brisket, salsa, onions or whatever you desire in one. Force air out of the bag and seal. Throw into boiling pot of water and boil 15 minutes for 2 to 3 egg omelet and 20 minutes for 4 egg. Cut bag open and put on plate. If you have a bunch of people let them build them the night before and put initials on bag with magic marker and cook all at the same time in the morning. Let your imagination drive what you put in yours. Has to be freezer bag.
You can also freeze these and take them with you when you go camping. Cook the omlet in your coffee pot. The ziploc bag will keep the coffee out of your eggs and vice versa. By the time your omlet is ready, you coffee will be, too.
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow is too lazy to form an opinion." - Rogers, Will

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Anybody got a good recipe for skeet? We'll have a bunch of them to skin and gut after tomorrow morning. :smilelol5:
Slather with BBQ sauce and serve on a shingle. :tiphat:
Scrape off the skeet and eat the shingle. Or don't and enjoy skeet on a shingle.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Hoi Polloi »

puma guy wrote:
WildBill wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Anybody got a good recipe for skeet? We'll have a bunch of them to skin and gut after tomorrow morning. :smilelol5:
Slather with BBQ sauce and serve on a shingle. :tiphat:
Scrape off the skeet and eat the shingle. Or don't and enjoy skeet on a shingle.
Chipped skeet on a shingle would need gravy, not BBQ sauce.

I haven't tried this recipe by Ronald Phillips, but it looks similar to what I grew up with. My mother also added some white and red pepper.

Skeet on a Shingle for 1 Person:
1. 1/2 cup chipped skeet (or ground beef)
2. 1 clove garlic, diced (adjust for taste)
3. 1t onion, diced
4. 1/4t salt
5. 1/4t black pepper
6. 1T butter or margarine
7. 1T flour & 3/4 cup milk

In a heavy 1 qt sauce pan...
1) Add garlic, onion, salt, and pepper to chipped skeet (or ground beef) and cook until beef is browned. Drain excess grease.
2) Add butter to beef/skeet mixture and cook 2 minutes.
3) Add flour and cook approx. 2-3 minutes.
4) Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.

Multiply the number of 1/2 cups by the number of people you plan to serve. He suggests you serve it over 2 pieces of toast with one egg and 2 slices of bacon.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Post by A-R »

Sidro wrote:Easy Omelet

Mix how many eggs you want in it and pour into quart ziploc freezer bag. Add any thing else you want such as cheese, cooked bacon or sausage, ham, leftover brisket, salsa, onions or whatever you desire in one. Force air out of the bag and seal. Throw into boiling pot of water and boil 15 minutes for 2 to 3 egg omelet and 20 minutes for 4 egg. Cut bag open and put on plate. If you have a bunch of people let them build them the night before and put initials on bag with magic marker and cook all at the same time in the morning. Let your imagination drive what you put in yours. Has to be freezer bag.
my grandma used to love making omlets that way. Would make them individually to taste for whole family, 6 or more ziploc bags all in pot of boiling water together.

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Post by A-R »

Something I sort of made up as I went along - a little trial and error. Wife loves butternut squash, so was always trying to find a good way to prepare it. She loves this. One of her new favorites.

Mashed butternut squash

One average size butternut squash serves 4-6. Recipe can be doubled, tripled etc.

Half squash, remove seeds etc

Peel or slice off skin and dice pulp into 1-inch chunks

Place in microwave safe bowl with 2 cups light broth (or 1 boullion cube disolved in 2 cups water) ... don't let broth flavor overpower the taste

Microwave covered on high 6 minutes

In medium-size pot on medium or medium-high heat, saute minced red onion (about 1/3 cup) and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic in oil (could substitute shallots for both)

Put cooked squash and some broth (don't use all broth - just enough to help with mashing) in pan with sauted onions, stir to combine, and cook a few more minutes

Remove pan from heat and add:
• salt & pepper to taste
• butter (about 1 or 2 tablespoons)
• honey (about 1 tablespoon)
• minced fresh basil (about 2 tablespoons)

Mash all ingedients to desired consistency. A potato masher works well.

Topic author
Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

That sounds good and I think I have all the ingredients for it! Thanks!

This recipe doesn't throw together quickly, but it comes out smelling and tasting delicious and is well worth it for the upcoming fall evenings. It's total comfort food. Make two and freeze one for later cooking.

Mushroom Casserole:
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
10 oz. baby portobella mushrooms, sliced or diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoon margarine
1 teaspoon soy sauce or seasoned rice vinegar balsamic blend
1/4 cup flour
2 cups veggie broth
1-1/2 cups unsweetened milk or milk alternative
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup (or 1 can) cooked chickpeas, drained and mashed
1/2 cup crushed potato chips plain
1/2 cup French fried onions
8 oz. fusilli (spiral) pasta

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare an 8x8" glass baking dish with a quick spray of cooking oil.
2) Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan. Add onion, celery and mushrooms and sauté for a few minutes. When mushrooms give off liquid, add soy sauce. Keep cooking until all vegetables are tender then turn off heat.
3) In a medium soup pot, melt the remaining 3 tablespoon margarine over low heat. Stir in the flour and whisk for a few minutes. It will get thick. Start adding the broth bit by bit, whisking all the while and bring to a boil. Add the milk little by little and continue to stir and simmer.
4) Add the mushroom/celery/onion mixture and lemon juice. Season with salt, pepper and some paprika. Add the mashed chickpeas a spoonful at a time to break it up evenly throughout the sauce.
5) Cook pasta until al dente, approx. 9 minutes. Drain and return it to the pot.
6) Add the mushroom sauce to the pasta and stir gently to combine. Transfer the mixture to the baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
7) Uncover the dish and sprinkle crushed chips and french fried onions on top and bake for another 5-6 minutes or so or until the top is browned and crispy.

Serves: 8
Preparation time: 20-30 minutes
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

When I had to start high blood pressure meds, it was time to lose weight.

I used to love Tuna with Miracle Whip
In 1984 a lady gave me Tuna with sweet relish, without Miracle Whip, I thought it was good
I got burned out on it and here's a darn good NEW way I have it several times a week.

1 can Tuna in Water, drain the water out.
Replace the drained water with RealLemon Lemon juice (removes the fish taste, and adds a little tanginess)
Add a tablespoon or two of local honey (might help fight allergies and adds sweet taste)

That's it, but if I want it tangier, I'll add just a bit of mustard (the vinegar and mustard in mustard are good for you)

There it is, no bad fats, no cholesterol, only stuff that's good and good for you.
And ... it tastes great.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

mbw
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mbw »

How about some really good B-B-Q sauce-

MBW BBQ Sauce
Ingredients
• 2 tablespoons neutral-tasting oil, such as grapeseed or vegetable or peanut
• 6 cloves garlic, smashed- or garlic powder, 2 tablespoons or more
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 slightly heaping tablespoon chili powder
• 1 tablespoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
• Pinch ground cloves
• 2 cups ketchup
• 2 cups water
• 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup dark non sulfur molasses
• 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon kosher salt
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 2 teaspoons English-style dried mustard
• 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper- more if you like pepper
• 1 bay leaf
• Medium Yellow Onion
• 1 cup tomato sauce
• 1 cup Bourbon Whiskey- Note Jack Daniel’s is not Bourbon, it is Tennessee Sipping Whisky
• ¼ cup honey
• ½ cup maple syrup
• 2 tablespoons butter

Directions-
Chop the onion into small pieces and sauté in Bourbon until soft. Heat the oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, paprika, red pepper, allspice, and cloves and cook, stirring, until paste is dark brick red, about 3 minutes. Add the ketchup, water, vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, salt, soy sauce, Worcestershire, mustard, black pepper, honey, tomato sauce, syrup, Bourbon onions, and bay leaf. Adjust the heat to maintain a low gentle simmer and cook until the flavors come together, about 30 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf before using. Strain sauce to remove onion bits and garlic if you want a smooth sauce.

Simmer longer for a thicker sauce.

Makes about enough.

CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

Cheesecake

ingredients:

Servings:

crust
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
3/4 cup finely chopped vanilla wafer
2 tablespoons melted butter

Filling
1 1/2 lbs cream cheese
1 1/3 cups sugar
5 large eggs
16 ounces sour cream
1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Directions:

Prep Time: 1 hr

Total Time: 3 hrs
Crust: Mix all nuts and vanilla wafer crumbs with melted butter and press into a 9 inch buttered springform pan, trying to line the sides as much as possible about 1 1/2" up the sides of the pan, set aside.
Cheesecake: All above ingredients should be at room temperature before your begin.
Start by beating the cream cheese until light and fluffy.
Keep the mixer on a low setting throughout the beating and mixing process.
Add the sugar a little at a time and continue beating until creamy.
Add one egg at a time and beat after each egg.
When eggs have been mixed into the cream cheese add flour, vanilla and lemon juice, mix well.
Add the sour cream last and beat well.
Pour cream cheese into the spring pan.
Place on the top rack in the middle of a 325 degrees preheated oven for one hour and 15 minutes.
When time is up, prop open oven door and leave in oven for one hour.
After one hour, remove from oven.
Let cool enough before the cheesecake is put into the refrigerator for 24 hours.

Bacon stuffed chicken breast

Ingredients:

Servings:

4 chicken breasts
4 slices of your favorite smoked bacon
lemon pepper
honey

Directions:

Prep Time: 15 mins

Total Time: 1 and a half hr
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Butterfly your chicken breasts. To butterfly simply slice your chicken breast in half short ways, stopping before you slice it into 2 pieces, it should open like a book.
Place in a foil lined baking dish.
Sprinkle both sides of the open butterflied chicken breast with lemon pepper. Drizzle honey on one side.
Cut one slice of bacon to fit inside the breast, be sure to use the entire slice of bacon. Arrange the bacon on the side of the chicken you drizzled the honey,.
Drizzle bacon with honey and fold the chicken breast over covering the bacon.
Sprinkle honey and lemon pepper on the outside of the chicken breast, repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 and a half hours.
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

Topic author
Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

mbw wrote:How about some really good B-B-Q sauce-
I wish I could have used that tonight with the BBQ beans I made!

Warhammer
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Warhammer »

mbw wrote:How about some really good B-B-Q sauce-
Here's an alternative that really rocks on pork or chicken!

S. Carolina Style BBQ Sauce

• 1 cup prepared yellow mustard (store brand is fine)
• ½ cup sugar
• ¼ cup light brown sugar
• ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
• ¼ cup water
• 2 tablespoons chili powder (homemade if you have it)
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 teaspoon white pepper
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• ½ teaspoon soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons butter

In a medium saucepan, mix all ingredients except the soy sauce and butter. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature, then pour into a jar and store in the refrigerator. It will keep a pretty long time, but it usually doesn’t last too long around my house.
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow is too lazy to form an opinion." - Rogers, Will

mbw

Post by mbw »

This is a recipe from a New York "Family Style" restaurant that has a 2 year waiting list to get a table. It is so good you will not believe it. Warning, it is not a weight loss meal!!!

Frank Pellegrino - Rao’s Recipes from the Neighborhood

Frankie’s Meatballs In Sunday Gravy

Frankie’s Meatballs:
Makes 14 to 18
1 lb ground beef
½ lb ground veal
½ lb ground pork
2 Large eggs
1 cup grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
1 ½ Tbs. Chopped Italian Parsley
½ to 1 small garlic glove, minced
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Cups plain breadcrumbs
2 Cups water until moist
1 Cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, lightly smashed

With your hands, combine the beef, veal and pork in a large bowl. Add the eggs, cheese, parsley, minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste and blend the ingredients together. Add the bread crumbs and blend into the meat mixture.
Slowly add the water, 1 cup at a time, until the mixture is moist. Shape the meat mixture into 2 1/2 - 3 inch balls.
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Sauté the whole garlic until lightly brown to flavor the oil, about 1-2 minutes. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon and discard. Add the meatballs and fry in batches, being careful not to crowd the pan. When the bottom half of the meatball is well browned and slightly crisp, about 5 to 6 minutes, turn it and cook the other side for 5 minutes more. Remove the meatballs from the heat and drain them on paper towels.

Sunday Gravy:
1/2 cup olive oil
1lb beef
1lb pork
1 Beef or Pork Braciola
1lb Italian sausages
8 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
3 Tbs. Tomato paste
3 (35-ounce) cans imported Italian plum tomatoes
Salt and Pepper to taste
10 leaves basil, chopped

1. With a paper towel, pat the meat dry.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan or deep, heavy-bottomed casserole over medium heat. Add garlic and toss to coat.
3. Cook meat, a few pieces at a time, in the oil for about 5 minutes, turning frequently, until nicely browned on all sides. As meat is browned, remove from pan and set aside. When garlic cloves begin to brown, remove and discard them.
4. Combine tomato paste and water and stir into the oil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and the juice, raise heat, and bring to a boil. Using one of the tomato cans, measure 2 cans of cold water and add to the pan. Return to a boil.
5. Return beef and pork to the sauce and add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 5 minutes.
6. Lower heat and partially cover the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about two hours or until meat is almost falling apart and sauce is thick. If sauce becomes too thick, add water, a quarter cup at a time.
7. One hour before sauce is ready, add Beef Braciola and sausage.
8. If using, add the meatballs at the same time.
9. Remove meat from the sauce. Serve sauce over pasta, then meat as a separate course

dessl

Post by dessl »

USA1 wrote:My recipe...

1. Cut slit in film to vent.
2. Microwave on high power for ___ minutes.
3. Let stand for 1 minute.
4. Remove film and enjoy.(Caution, steam may cause injuries)

Have you been giving my wife cooking lessons?

USA1

Post by USA1 »

dessl wrote:
USA1 wrote:My recipe...

1. Cut slit in film to vent.
2. Microwave on high power for ___ minutes.
3. Let stand for 1 minute.
4. Remove film and enjoy.(Caution, steam may cause injuries)

Have you been giving my wife cooking lessons?
"rlol"

You think that's bad...Here's my back up recipe...

"Yes, I'll take a number one please". :mrgreen:

And if I'm feeling extra frugal that day, I'll bring my own cheese from home.

Feel free to use that little tip. ;-)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

Primal Fat Bomb

This is great when you are on the run and busy but need something to hold you all day.HUnger is not an issue for awhile.

- 4 oz heavy cream / 480 fat cals, 0 protein, 0 carb
- 4-5 oz canned coconut milk / 300 fat cals, 0 protein, trace carb
- 1 whole large Omega-3 egg / 45 fat cals, 25 protein, trace carb
- 1 packet of Splenda sweetener / zero
- Tbsp vanilla extract / probably a few carb cals
- Ice
Toss it all in the blender with sufficient ice to make a nice shake, and
then enjoy yourself. We've got about 850 calories, 825 or 97% of which
are fat calories.

Excellent!

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Off-Topic”