keep a weak side holster handy

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
karder
Posts in topic: 1

keep a weak side holster handy

Post by karder »

A minor on the job accident on Friday left me with a broken collar bone. I am doing fine, although it smarts like the dickens. After staying in for the weekend, I was gearing up to go back to work this morning and I realized that I may have a problem with my carry as my injury is on my right side. It turns out I actually have a left handed holster for my HK USP that I received as the result of a mixed up order and never got around to returning. Today, I am carrying on the left-side. I never considered this type of situation before and it was just by luck that I had a holster. I practice my weak hand shooting and while I am not a crack shot, I can hit COM at 7 yards, so that will have to be good enough for the next couple of weeks. Just some food for thought to my friends here on the forum. Consider getting a holster for your weak side.
:tiphat:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Excaliber

Re: keep a weak side holster handy

Post by Excaliber »

karder wrote:A minor on the job accident on Friday left me with a broken collar bone. I am doing fine, although it smarts like the dickens. After staying in for the weekend, I was gearing up to go back to work this morning and I realized that I may have a problem with my carry as my injury is on my right side. It turns out I actually have a left handed holster for my HK USP that I received as the result of a mixed up order and never got around to returning. Today, I am carrying on the left-side. I never considered this type of situation before and it was just by luck that I had a holster. I practice my weak hand shooting and while I am not a crack shot, I can hit COM at 7 yards, so that will have to be good enough for the next couple of weeks. Just some food for thought to my friends here on the forum. Consider getting a holster for your weak side.
:tiphat:
I've had to resort to support side carry due to injury on prior occasions as well.

It's important to practice drawing, reholstering, and weapon retention on that side, as well as shooting accurately after the gun is drawn.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

I never thought of that. I've begun carrying my revolver cross-draw, which actually makes it decently accessible to my left arm should my right be incapacitated...but that's only because I'm actually using a strong side holster, not one made from cross-draw.

Good to think about...I may have to start searching for a weak side holster, for those "just in case' situations.

Hope your collarbone heals up fast! :tiphat:

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Interestingly, my Galco belly band will work for left or right hand side. While I prefer my Crossbreed holster, it's nice to know that I have that kind of flexibility with my belly band (no pun intended "rlol" )
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Another good reason to have alternate carry possibilities and even alternate/backup guns. Most pocket holsters are ambidextrous, so if you have a pocket gun/BUG you can just switch to the other pocket. In fact, when I carry a BUG I often do so in my weak hand front pocket.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

While recovering from carpal tunnel surgery a few years ago I bought two left hand holsters and even shot IDPA with them. My BUG is always in my left pocket even when it is my primary carry. I train to shoot with either hand and to draw with either hand because anything can happen to your strong hand.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

cbucher

Post by cbucher »

This is a good reminder. I often carry my bug in my left pocket but have never holstered my 45 on the weak side.
If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. – The Dalai Lama

Return to “Off-Topic”