Some ideas please re. entertaining

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Some ideas please re. entertaining

Post by seamusTX »

It's sad how little cowboy culture there is around Houston.

If your mother is going to be here in the first half of February, you can catch one of the trail rides to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. The 2011 rides are not scheduled yet.

http://www.hlsr.com/events/trail-rides/index.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could also attend a cowboy shoot, but none of them are close to Houston.

http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Texas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, San Antonio and the hill country are not that far and worth a visit in any case.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cbunt1 »

Things we locals tend to take for granted here in Houston...

Williams Tower/Galleria area -- I don't think the waterfall at Williams/Transco tower has been shut down for the winter yet, makes for a nice walk in the park after the hustle and bustle of the Galleria maul, um, er mall. No trip to the Galleria is complete without a walk through Niemen Marcus.

Westheimer Blvd. -- From a cultural perspective, it's an interesting drive for someone who's "not from around here."

Market Street (The Woodlands) -- the water taxi can make for a nice afternoon stroll through the park. This time of year it's a safe bet to see deer along the less developed portions toward the evening.

Downtown area (already mentioned) -- The tunnel system is quite interesting, and a ride up and down the so-called "toy choo choo" might be fun.

I second the vote to go to Space Center Houston. That's an excellent way to spend a day (or three).

I've heard wonderful things about the Holocaust Museum, but I can't vouch for it personally...

I'll think of more...
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

seamusTX wrote:It's sad how little cowboy culture there is around Houston.

If your mother is going to be here in the first half of February, you can catch one of the trail rides to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. The 2011 rides are not scheduled yet.
All hat, no sixgun.

:fire
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

My mom still rides with friends in Salt Grass, I can find their dates if you like. They are one of, if not THE, largest trailrides.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

cbunt1 wrote:Things we locals tend to take for granted here in Houston...

I've heard wonderful things about the Holocaust Museum, but I can't vouch for it personally...
I visited the Holocaust Museum two months ago. It's not very large, about a two hour visit is sufficient, but in my opinion it's a worthwhile trip.
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

England and Europe are, I'm told, replete with cities and slums, museums, monuments, theatres and such.

Why not take Mum out in the country down through San Antonio on out to Alpine, Fort Davis, Big Bend and then down the valley through Langtry to Corpus and back up the coast to Galveston and then home to your place? Show her the real Texas away from the cities and their traffic, crime and crowds (she's seen that at her home). By all means, take her to a gun range and let her see, and partake, in Americans enjoying our 2A rights.

Good luck and be safe.

EDIT:
See trip above. Rent a small RV and do something that y'all have never done before. It's later than you think.

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Get out of Houston and take her to a civilized city... :leaving :mrgreen:
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

How about taking her to Austin to see the capitol (and that you can take your weapon inside)? :rolll
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

adv wrote:Some great ideas here, she loves Cowboys and wants to see some line dancing.......
Actually, the Cowboys have done OK for the past couple of games, so she might not get to see much line dancing if you take her.....

....oh, you weren't talking about football? :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

:iagree: with the road trip. Most Europeans that I have met have been absolutely stunned by how large and varied this state is. I'm a road trip kind of person, though.....car or bike, getting there and back is half the fun. See all the little towns, shops and eateries. Meet the folks.

Enjoy!

Topic author
adv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by adv »

Old Town Springs, The Woodlands so far. Renaissance on Saturday, and mum gets to cook her first Thanksgiving Day meal today.. :mrgreen:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

adv wrote:Old Town Springs, The Woodlands so far. Renaissance on Saturday, and mum gets to cook her first Thanksgiving Day meal today.. :mrgreen:
I hope you had a good Thanksgiving dinner.

I had visitors from out-of-town also. Here's a couple other "non-cowboy" ideas:
We went to the Houston Museum of Fine Art on Friday afternoon. It is a wonderful museum. Paintings in various styles and artists, some are famous, others not so much. I got to see a portrait of George Washington by Gilbert Stuart. See below.

Also they have some ancient sculptures, pottery, glass and some modern art. We took about three hours to view the various exhibits and couldn't see them all. They have a nice cafeteria if you get hungry or thirsty. Admission is $7.50 for adults.

I am surprised that I forget to mention it in my previous post, but the Museum of Natural Science is a great place too. I have been there several times and will visit again next week.

If she is into music, check out the Mucky Duck in Houston. It's a small venue, maybe 200 people, but they have good artists and inexpensive tickets ($15-20). We saw Jimmy LaFave on Friday night. It was the best show I have seen in a long time.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
adv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by adv »

Thanks Wildbill, the Fine Art museum sounds like a plan.

TxA

Post by TxA »

If you go to the Museum of Fine Arts, don't forget the Museum of Natural Science close by! Be sure to view an Imax film, usually around 45 mins long, and the Cockrell Butterfly Center. Both are a nice treat! :thumbs2:
CHL 08/00

“We have no government armed in power capable of contending in human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”
John Adams – 2nd President of the United States

stinkbait

Post by stinkbait »

I don't think you be able to find her a good pint of bitter. I visit friends in Manchester, about every two years , still in touch by mail. Give her my best wishes and have a good time.

Return to “Off-Topic”