Any golfers in the Houston area?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bigred90gt
Posts in topic: 5

Any golfers in the Houston area?

Post by bigred90gt »

I dont see very much discussion about golf on here (and rightfully so, being a firearms forums not a golf forum), but figured I would throw it out there for anyone intersted. My #1 hobby is golf, followed very closely by shooting. 3 years ago, I found what was then called the egolf amateur tour in Houston. It is a golf tour for amateurs (clever name, I know), that plays on public and private courses all over the Houston area. This is my 3rd year playing on it, and there has been a decline in membership. In the interest of keeping the golf competitive, we're always looking for more members. All members are flighted based on handicap, and if you do not have a handicap, just let them know what your average score has been, and they will flight you appropriately. If, after a few tournaments, you are scoring better than your flight, they will move you up to keep things fair. If anyone is interested, the website is http://www.houstonagt.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. At the end of the season, there is a national championship played over a few days in Hilton Head, SC for the top 10 in each flight from each city. I qualified the first season, but I ended up not being able to make it due to work. This season, they picked up Golf Week magazine as the tour's title sponsor. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Anyone who wants to just give it a try without committing and paying membership fees (which is around $100 for the season), you are welcome to come out as a guest and play a tournament. Let me know if there is any interest, and I can get you into a tournament as my guest.

Katygunnut
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Any golfers in the Houston area?

Post by Katygunnut »

I'd be interested. I live in Katy, and belong to Willow Fork. Despite the golf being free, I only manage to get out about 15 to 20 times a year. This sounds like a good fun time.

My handicap is 22.9. How would that stack up comparatively?

Topic author
bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

Katygunnut wrote:I'd be interested. I live in Katy, and belong to Willow Fork. Despite the golf being free, I only manage to get out about 15 to 20 times a year. This sounds like a good fun time.

The flights are:
Flight Index
Champ 0-3.9
A 4-8.9
B 9-13.9
C 14-18.9
D 19+

The top 3 scores from the D flight at the first event this season (at Tour 18) were 92, 93, and 94. The C and D flights play from the 3rd set of tees (from the tips), so the course is much shorter. The A and B flights play from the 2nd set from the tips, and the Champ flight plays from the tips.

I carry a 10.6 index, shot an 82 and won the B flight. The D flight scores ranged from 92-109. There is a strict adherence to USGA rules, with the exception of the max score. Standard USGA ESC is not used in the tournament scores. The max score you can take on a hole is a triple bogey. I dont know how you normally score, but if there are a few serious blow up holes (+4 or worse), and some decent holes, it will help your tournament score.

Even if you decide to not play in the tournaments, we could get together for a casual round sometime. I live in Baytown, so it would be a bit of a hike for me, but I'm always interested in playing courses I havent played yet, and I havent played many on that side of town.

The tournaments are every other weekend. Here is a link to the schedule. http://www.houstonagt.net/2011_Schedule.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; All tournaments this year are $100 entry fee, with the exception of one, and it is $150, but it is also a 27 hole tournament. The guest fee is $10, so it would cost $110 to play as a guest. $20 of that goes to the prize pool. Winner takes 50%, 2nd place gets 30%, and 3rd place gets 20%. The winner of the D flight went home with $120. It's not much, but it covered the round with a few extra dollars. The D flight seems to always have the most players at every event, so they come away with the most money. My flight, the B flight, seems to typically have the least. We only had 4 this event, so we decided amongst ourselves prior to the round that it would be winner take all. When it was all said and done, I ended up basically playing Tour 18 on a Saturday morning for $20.

They also have a skins game that is optional. $10 entry, lone birdie or better on a hole wins. Depending on how many birdies and how many people enter, it can add up. The skins are flighted to keep the Champ and A flights from winning most of it. This year, they also started a long drive and closest to the pin, and there is talk of starting a hole in one pot. it really is a lot of fun, and you get to meet some interesting characters.

Topic author
bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

AndyC wrote:"A golf course is a terrible waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

:mrgreen:
Easy with all that crazy talk. :smash:

On a side note, an amazing thing happens every time I make it to a course. My handgun stays in my golf bag throughout the round, and not once has it EVER jumped out and shot anyone or anything. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true.

bnc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bnc »

:iagree:

Or a motocross track. ;-)

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

bigred90gt wrote:

On a side note, an amazing thing happens every time I make it to a course. My handgun stays in my golf bag throughout the round, and not once has it EVER jumped out and shot anyone or anything. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true.
We have a resident Gator at my course. He / she (I haven't checked) likes to hang out by the side of the pond on the 6th hole. We also have a bit of a hog problem and have some traps set up in that general area, so there is a distinct possibility that one may need a gun handy.

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

bigred90gt wrote:
Katygunnut wrote:I'd be interested. I live in Katy, and belong to Willow Fork. Despite the golf being free, I only manage to get out about 15 to 20 times a year. This sounds like a good fun time.

The flights are:
Flight Index
Champ 0-3.9
A 4-8.9
B 9-13.9
C 14-18.9
D 19+

The top 3 scores from the D flight at the first event this season (at Tour 18) were 92, 93, and 94. The C and D flights play from the 3rd set of tees (from the tips), so the course is much shorter. The A and B flights play from the 2nd set from the tips, and the Champ flight plays from the tips.

I carry a 10.6 index, shot an 82 and won the B flight. The D flight scores ranged from 92-109. There is a strict adherence to USGA rules, with the exception of the max score. Standard USGA ESC is not used in the tournament scores. The max score you can take on a hole is a triple bogey. I dont know how you normally score, but if there are a few serious blow up holes (+4 or worse), and some decent holes, it will help your tournament score.

Even if you decide to not play in the tournaments, we could get together for a casual round sometime. I live in Baytown, so it would be a bit of a hike for me, but I'm always interested in playing courses I havent played yet, and I havent played many on that side of town.

The tournaments are every other weekend. Here is a link to the schedule. http://www.houstonagt.net/2011_Schedule.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; All tournaments this year are $100 entry fee, with the exception of one, and it is $150, but it is also a 27 hole tournament. The guest fee is $10, so it would cost $110 to play as a guest. $20 of that goes to the prize pool. Winner takes 50%, 2nd place gets 30%, and 3rd place gets 20%. The winner of the D flight went home with $120. It's not much, but it covered the round with a few extra dollars. The D flight seems to always have the most players at every event, so they come away with the most money. My flight, the B flight, seems to typically have the least. We only had 4 this event, so we decided amongst ourselves prior to the round that it would be winner take all. When it was all said and done, I ended up basically playing Tour 18 on a Saturday morning for $20.

They also have a skins game that is optional. $10 entry, lone birdie or better on a hole wins. Depending on how many birdies and how many people enter, it can add up. The skins are flighted to keep the Champ and A flights from winning most of it. This year, they also started a long drive and closest to the pin, and there is talk of starting a hole in one pot. it really is a lot of fun, and you get to meet some interesting characters.
Thanks for the info. It would be great to get out and play. I usually have a few blow up holes, but my h/c scoring takes that into account since 8 is my max on any hole. My esc adjusted score is usually between the low 90's and 110+ as I tend to be rather volatile with my game.

I'll check out the schedule and let you know. It would also be good to get a fellow CHL'er out to my course. I'll PM you once work slows down in a couple weeks.

Topic author
bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

Katygunnut wrote:
bigred90gt wrote:

We have a resident Gator at my course. He / she (I haven't checked) likes to hang out by the side of the pond on the 6th hole. We also have a bit of a hog problem and have some traps set up in that general area, so there is a distinct possibility that one may need a gun handy.

We have several gators on my home course (Evergreen Point in Baytown). I tried to get close and take a pic of one, and when it went from a slight hiss to a growl, I said my goodbye's and parted ways. Momma (who is about 8 or 9 feet) had babies a few years ago. The babies are about 6 feet now. There is also a bald eagle's nest across the street, and you occasionally see them flying through the course or hanging out by one of the ponds on the course.

Topic author
bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

Katygunnut wrote: Thanks for the info. It would be great to get out and play. I usually have a few blow up holes, but my h/c scoring takes that into account since 8 is my max on any hole. My esc adjusted score is usually between the low 90's and 110+ as I tend to be rather volatile with my game.

I'll check out the schedule and let you know. It would also be good to get a fellow CHL'er out to my course. I'll PM you once work slows down in a couple weeks.
Anytime man. Right now, my weekends are pretty free. In my business, that is always subject to change on Friday at 5pm, but for the time being, it's good.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Wonder how many shots it would take to get the ball into the cup on a 315 yard hole with a handgun?

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

MeMelYup wrote:Wonder how many shots it would take to get the ball into the cup on a 315 yard hole with a handgun?
Way too difficult. you need one of these:

But there must be a real art to loading .223 blanks in various very weak loads to give you any chance once you're on the greens...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “Off-Topic”