An Eye for an Eye

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AJ80
Posts in topic: 8

An Eye for an Eye

Post by AJ80 »

Let's examine the statement "an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" for a moment.

We have two groups of people that we are examining here: the eye pokers and the eye poked.
Let's assume that the number of eye pokers is a small subset of the entire population.
Let's also assume that eye pokers do not poke eye pokers, only non-eye pokers.
Let's, finally, assume that eye pokers eye poke until they are themselves eye poked by a governmental eye poking agency(not considered an eye poker for the purpose of this discussion).

Scenario 1:
If we do not remove the eye pokers eyes, they can still see to poke more eyes.
If this occurs, the eye poking will continue by the eye pokers indiscriminately, at which point the eye pokers will be the only ones that have not been eye poked(not blind).

Scenario 2:
If we do poke the eye poker's eyes, then the eye pokers will no longer be able to effectively poke eyes.
In this case, eye pokers are only able to eye poke one individual each, since after the initial eye-poking, the poker has his or her eyes poked by the governmental eye poking agency.
In this scenario, the number of eye pokers is equal to the number of eye poked(Note that I am grouping the eye pokers separately from the eye poked even though all eye pokers are also eye poked)

Given the above, "an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" is impossible because the eye pokers make up only a small portion of the population.

Let's use some actual percents here:
Let's say Eye Pokers make up 15% of the entire population.

Scenario 1 leaves 85% of the population blind. (100% Population - 15% Eye Pokers)
Scenario 2 leaves 30% of the population blind. (15% Eye poked Eye Pokers + 15% Eye Poked Non-Eye Pokers)

Scenario 2 gets worse if we remove the assumption that eye pokers do not eye poke other eye pokers.
In that case, the entire population is eye poked except for the last eye poker that hasn't been eye poked(assuming that the eye poker doesn't get bored and poke his or her own eyes).

Scenario 1 gets better if we remove the governmental eye poking agency and arm the entire population with preemptive eye poke defense devices, referred to PEPDD from this point forward.
A PEPDD works by blocking the eye poke and eye poking the original eye poke initiator(Use of a PEPDD to eye poke does not, for this discussion, transform the individual wielding the PEPDD into an eye poker)
In this case, only the 15% of the population of would-be eye pokers end up blind.

Edit: Fixed grammatical error

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: An Eye for an Eye

Post by flintknapper »

Just say NO to drugs. ;-)
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

I think history would indicate that there would be eye poker on eye poker eye poking.
Now if you poked my eye which would make you an eye poker and I poked your eye in return, am I also then an eye poker or just a vindicated eye pokee?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I think some of us have WAAAAAAAAY too much time on our hands. Must be time to hit the range! :biggrinjester:

Topic author
AJ80

Post by AJ80 »

jmra wrote:Now if you poked my eye which would make you an eye poker and I poked your eye in return, am I also then an eye poker or just a vindicated eye pokee?
No, see, it doesn't work that way.
When someone is eye poked, he or she loses all eye poking ability.
So if you were eye poked, the only way to become a "vindicated eye pokee" would be to hire a mercenary eye poker.

Topic author
AJ80

Post by AJ80 »

lonewolf wrote:I think some of us have WAAAAAAAAY too much time on our hands. Must be time to hit the range! :biggrinjester:
I tried using Fast Orange to wash the time off of my hands, but it didn't work.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

How many eyes could an eye-poker poke if an eye-poker could poke eyes? :cool:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:How many eyes could an eye-poker poke if an eye-poker could poke eyes? :cool:
If somebody poked somebody's eye in the forest and you couldn't see it because you had your eye poked out did somebody get their eye poked?
:mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WildBill wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:How many eyes could an eye-poker poke if an eye-poker could poke eyes? :cool:
If somebody poked somebody's eye in the forest and you couldn't see it because you had your eye poked out did somebody get their eye poked?
Little Miss Muffet,
Sat on her tuffet,
Poking her sis in the eye.
Along came a spider,
Sat down beside her,
Took aim and said, "an eye for an eye."

...or something...
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Little Miss Muffet,
Sat on her tuffet,
Poking her sis in the eye.
Along came a spider,
Sat down beside her,
Took aim and said, "an eye for an eye."

...or something...
If I were in the Navy and got an order, I could say "Eye-Eye Captain".
NRA Endowment Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

When an eye poker pokes an eye pokee, does the eye poker poke the eye pokee in only one eye or is it a double poking?
If the poker pokes only one eye then the OP statistics change as it then becomes possible to poke after you have been poked and an individual could be the victim of multiple pokes.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Shoot Straight

Post by Shoot Straight »

"One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that 'violence begets violence.'

I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy." - Jeff Cooper
Last edited by Shoot Straight on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth

jmra

Post by jmra »

John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
AJ80

Post by AJ80 »

jmra wrote:When an eye poker pokes an eye pokee, does the eye poker poke the eye pokee in only one eye or is it a double poking?
If the poker pokes only one eye then the OP statistics change as it then becomes possible to poke after you have been poked and an individual could be the victim of multiple pokes.
Let's assume, for this discussion, that each person only has one eye.

Topic author
AJ80

Post by AJ80 »

An eye poker would poke as many eyes as an eye poker could poke if an eye poker could poke eyes... hmm... just not the same without woodchucks.

Return to “Off-Topic”