Morning talk radio shows in Houston?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rmr1923
Posts in topic: 4

Morning talk radio shows in Houston?

Post by rmr1923 »

for those of you living in the Houston area that listen to talk radio in the mornings, what show(s) do you listen to? i'm a younger guy so throughout the day i tend to split my time between 94.5 and 93.7 when i listen to music on the radio, but the morning host on 94.5 (the dude with 2 first names) is extremely annoying. i've tried listening to Walton & Johnson on 93.7 and can take them in small doses, but their constant whining/complaining about Obama just gets old. i used to listen to Dean & Rog (sp?) back in the day, i hear they're on 107.5 now but haven't really listened to them lately. i like to listen to Michael Berry in the afternoon on 950 am but that's about it. anyone have recommendations on a good morning talk radio show?

karl
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Morning talk radio shows in Houston?

Post by karl »

I feel the same way. I end up just switching it to 106.9 or the cd player. Dean and Rog put on a sleeper of a show.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

esxmarkc

Post by esxmarkc »

rmr1923 wrote:for those of you living in the Houston area that listen to talk radio in the mornings, what show(s) do you listen to? i'm a younger guy so throughout the day i tend to split my time between 94.5 and 93.7 when i listen to music on the radio, but the morning host on 94.5 (the dude with 2 first names) is extremely annoying. i've tried listening to Walton & Johnson on 93.7 and can take them in small doses, but their constant whining/complaining about Obama just gets old. i used to listen to Dean & Rog (sp?) back in the day, i hear they're on 107.5 now but haven't really listened to them lately. i like to listen to Michael Berry in the afternoon on 950 am but that's about it. anyone have recommendations on a good morning talk radio show?
I practically second everything you just stated. As far as Dean & Rog I don't mind their banter but they don't play enough music and when they do I'm afraid I have had my lifetime fill of Billy Joel.

Michael Berry can be pretty fun to listen to but I cant stomach a full day of the rest of the 950am lineup.
Keeping the king of England out of your face since 12/05/2009

sss

Post by sss »

I gave up on terrestrial radio some time ago and haven't looked back. Sirius and Howard Stern are the only way to go in the morning!
Carrying since 02/06/2009.

Topic author
rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

esxmarkc wrote: I practically second everything you just stated. As far as Dean & Rog I don't mind their banter but they don't play enough music and when they do I'm afraid I have had my lifetime fill of Billy Joel.

Michael Berry can be pretty fun to listen to but I cant stomach a full day of the rest of the 950am lineup.
about the only two things i remember from the Dean & Rog show (it's been a while since i listened) are the birthday scam (do they still do that?) and Redneck Roy. i do enjoy listening to Michael Berry but somehow he ends up making nearly everything a race issue, which is exactly what he complains most about... people who constantly play the race card. i've tried listening to that guy in the morning on 950 (Joe something or other) but he was even worse than Rod Ryan on 94.5, and i didn't think that was possible. and although he does have some valid points, Michael Savage seems to suffer from a severe case of dementia, or some other mental illness. my wife is a dietitian and during grad school one of her internship rounds was at the psych ward at Ben Taub, she listened to Michael Savage one day and said he sounded like half the people in the psych ward. :lol:

i guess i'll give Howard Stern a try. we have sirius in my wife's car, my dad told me i should be able to listen online with that account to so i'll look into that

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

I listen to Walton and Johnston and 740 am. I will agree that W&J do seem to go on and on about Obama a bunch. But I can't stand any of the other radio shows. Are Dean and Rog the two guys that basically laugh the entire time they are on?

If you have a phone that supports apps then you can get the iheartradio app. Then you can listen to just about anything.

I usually tune to Rush on 740 until Micheal Berry come on 950 at 2 pm. I don't think he turns things into race issues but instead just points out how much others do. The fact that it takes up so much time is a sad sign.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I am fortunate to have a very short commute. I used to listen to Michael Berry until he got replaced by Walton and Johnson. Some of their skits were pretty funny. Eventually all of the "conservative" talk shows become repetitive and boring. I can only listen to so much Obama/Liberal bashing. Now, I either leave the radio off or listen to a tape of my favorite music. Yes, my car still has a cassette deck!
NRA Endowment Member

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

I used to always listen to Hudson & Harrigan on KILT. But I haven't lived in Houston since Dec. 12 1994. You will notice I remember the exact date. I spent 16 years there and 15 of those years :banghead: looking for a way out.

:evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Topic author
rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

gregthehand wrote:I usually tune to Rush on 740 until Micheal Berry come on 950 at 2 pm. I don't think he turns things into race issues but instead just points out how much others do. The fact that it takes up so much time is a sad sign.
i guess that's more what i meant.. not so much that Michael Berry makes everything about race, but that so much of the material covered on his show has to do with others who make a living playing the race card. i do enjoy listening to him though, it's nice to get some local politics mixed in with the national stuff so i know at least a little bit about what's going on around town. and i LOVE the parodies, especially the ones involving our esteemed CongresswomAAAAAAAAAAAn!

i do have the iheartradio app on my blackberry, but for some reason when i'm at work i can't get a strong enough data connection to run the app. it plays for about 5 minutes then freezes, i have to close it out, start it back up, then another 5 minutes do the same. i finally picked up a cheapo AM/FM pocket radio on ebay and can pick up AM stations pretty well.

bigmoney

Post by bigmoney »

Beig somewhat still fresh from dfw, my faith in finding a decent show has apparently just been smashed. W&J were the closest choice, but got old rather quick. Though I haven't heard of some of these others yet. And if the station plays bad music i'm likely to smash the radio in a wake up state. I so need to find a solution to get the Russ Martin show on an alarm set up. I've really been pretty disappointed with the radio stations in general down here, but I'll have to give some of these other suggestions a try.
Don't choose a username while a stupid insurrance commercial is on the tv
M&P 9c edc
LCP bug
NRA

Topic author
rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

bigmoney wrote:Beig somewhat still fresh from dfw, my faith in finding a decent show has apparently just been smashed. W&J were the closest choice, but got old rather quick. Though I haven't heard of some of these others yet. And if the station plays bad music i'm likely to smash the radio in a wake up state. I so need to find a solution to get the Russ Martin show on an alarm set up. I've really been pretty disappointed with the radio stations in general down here, but I'll have to give some of these other suggestions a try.
i moved from the Houston area to Lubbock in 2004 and listened to W&J prior to that, after i moved back down here in '08 i couldn't believe how political the show had gotten. i guess they'd always talked politics to an extent, but it just got pathetic during the presidential campaigning and especially after the election. i told my wife that i'd play a game with the radio in the morning, i'd put it on the W&J show until i hear them say "Obama" and i'd change the station or put in a CD. i don't think i ever made it more than 2 or 3 miles from the house before having to change the station.

Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Walton & Johnson absolutely killed KLOL after they showed Stephens then Pruett the door, now they're working on 93.7. Obama whining aside, they're simply *not* funny and never were.

Would I be showing my age if I said that Blake and Charley on KLOL with Lanny Griffith was the best AM drive show ever in Houston. I know, you whippersnappers probably weren't even born then (early 80s)

I can take Dean & Rog, but I have to turn it during the Birthday Scam a lot. Some of those scams are simply mean-spirited.

I've always preferred listening to music with a bit of humor, traffic, and news rather than on-air "personality" with a bit of music. Unfortunately, even with XM radio, the play lists are VERY small. Unfortunate. I probably listen to Dean & Rog more than most of the others, but that would be when I'm in the car alone. Mr. Shasta is an incurable channel surfer, and will change the channel within 10 seconds of any "blab".

texanron

Post by texanron »

I listen to Matt and Adam on 790 or John and Lance on 1560 in the AM if its sports talk I'm in the mood for. If I'm looking for news I'll tune into 740 and if I'm looking for political talk I'll listen to Joe Pags on 950. Michael Berry is a constant on my radio in the afternoon.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

I listen to Sam Malone and Edd Hendee on 700.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

sss wrote:I gave up on terrestrial radio some time ago and haven't looked back. Sirius and Howard Stern are the only way to go in the morning!
This.

I havent listened to terrestrial radio since 1/13/06, with the exception of when I was driving a rental car after I got into an accident.

Return to “Off-Topic”