2011 Camaro Convertible vs 2010 Corvette Coupe

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
PUCKER
Posts in topic: 11

2011 Camaro Convertible vs 2010 Corvette Coupe

Post by PUCKER »

Like the title says, considering these two vehicles (ie - I just turned 40 yesterday, HELLO mid-life crisis...LOL!).

So, brand new 2011 Camaro Convertible fully-loaded, or at least loaded up the way I want it (the 2SS, probably with the RS package, 6-speed manual, etc.) is essentially the same price as a brand new 2010 Corvette Coupe (has the targa top) that is decently loaded, although it's not the Grand Sport, Convertible, etc. As you can probably guess, deals are being made (dealer discounts and $4K rebate) on the '10 vettes.

I drove the Camaro Convertible the other night (1 day before my 40th LOL), it was nice, put the top down, ran it through the tap-shift auto (I prefer a manual), rode nice, etc. It didn't give me the "grinning like an idiot smile" though. I did like it however, but it didn't just hit me with a "YOU'VE GOTTA HAVE IT" feeling, maybe it was the color (dark red)? Price is inflexible, would also have to order it to get the exact car I want (orange with black stripes and a few other goodies).

I'm in a drop-top mood more than anything I suppose. Now the Corvette Coupe, it has the targa top, how much of a pain is it (or not) to remove, you pop it off and it fits in a holder in the rear of the vehicle, right?

So, that being said, anyone have any experience with both/either? I'd really like a convertible vette but the price is just too high for me, at least a new one, might consider one a few years older, I dunno...

I'm a pretty sizable guy (6' large frame) but I've only sat in one of the new vettes once, that was a few years ago and I was portlier, I wasn't that comfy. The Camaro was pretty comfy.

Hate to say it, but I'm getting bored with my little 2008 Jeep JK Rubicon hardtop. I LOVE having the top off, but it's a PAIN in the rear to go from one state to the other (ie - top on, top off).

pcgizzmo
Posts in topic: 4

Re: 2011 Camaro Convertible vs 2010 Corvette Coupe

Post by pcgizzmo »

I'm going to give you my opinion and you can take it for what it's worth. I've driven the new Camaro's, Vettes, Porshces etc.. They are all tight and small on the inside but that's the way there supposed to be. That being said, I personally don't like the new Camaro's and this is coming from a guy that's owned two of the older models in his life and love them. Everyone I talk to whether they like the car or not say's you can't see out the windows. I couldn't see out the windows when I test drove one while buying my Tahoe. I didn't like it at all. That coupled with the cheap plastic inside.

On to the Corvette. To me the Corvette is just a much classier car and there arent a million of them on the road like the Camaro's. Also, you can't see out of them either but if it's a convertible your going to have the top down in nice weather.

If it were me I'd get a black Corvette w/removable top but that's just me.

Have fun with whatever you decide.

74novaman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 74novaman »

Based on looks alone, I'd prefer the vette.

But instead of buying new, why don't you find a lightly used c6 convertible vette instead of new?

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks ... 06.c0.m282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then you can add some fun stuff....like good exhaust:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or maybe a supercharger:
http://www.procharger.com/c6_corvette.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and probably be in the same ball park money wise as a stock, new vette.
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

pc - thank you for your input. I will tell you that I was a little claustrophobic in the Camaro, until the top came down. I will say that the rear/corner sightlines were not much better though.

nova - thank you, I've been considering that route too. :tiphat:

McKnife
Posts in topic: 1

Post by McKnife »

Vette.
:coolgleamA:

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Vette especially if your a big guy. Camaro does nothing for me. Only problem is buying new. I could not stand the depreciation. Check the prices on one two years old.

cowboymd

Post by cowboymd »

Didn't drive a Vette, but bought Mrs. cowboy the Camaro last month. (sun roof not convertible) :tiphat: So far, the best thing since my "81" Z28.
TSRA Member
NRA Life Member

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

The C6 is nearer to the end of it's life cycle than the new Camaro.

That said, a vette is a whole differ experience than a camaro. I'd be looking to track it though, so my perspective is biased. If you want something convertible, and clean that you drive around and be middle aged in, then a Camaro would be fine.

Camaros are slow in corners. They have alot of lateral roll due to weight. It's a straight line car. The vette is more nimble, and when given correct steering inputs, can really slice and dice. I would not classify it as "easy to drive" however. The power/weight ratio on a C6 is more than most people have encountered before. It will take some learnin' to get good in it.

How about a Harley?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

gig (and others) - appreciate the input. I used to drag race in high school and college with my 5.0 GT Mustang, also a little bit of autocross and general young stupidity (yes, high speed driving, but I've "slowed" down now LOL). I've done the motorcycle thing (from dirtbike racing/riding to road/cruisers....I like the idea of metal around me, it hurts more when you don't have that protection!).

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

If I had $40k to buy a fun sports car, I'd probably buy an 02-04 C5 vette, and build it up and track it. For that coin, you could almost get Ligenfelter to do his TT magic on it.

Since you have driven before, I think the C6 will be more pleasing to drive. I really think the winning answer is a used C6 convertible, which was mentioned earlier. With the economy now, people should be giving them away. You could probably get a great deal on an 08 or 09 (I forget when mid life cycle dress up was).
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

pcernuch

Post by pcernuch »

i would get a gently used Z06 from those choices. but honestly i would get a mustang! :)

god bless.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Either one don't matter. My '05 Excursion can haul 8 adults and all the guns and ammo they want to the range.

I win. :smilelol5:
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Aston Martin DB9 Volante

Only $160 OVER your budget. :drool
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

lkd wrote:Either one don't matter. My '05 Excursion can haul 8 adults and all the guns and ammo they want to the range.

I win. :smilelol5:
I had an '01 Explurgin (as I called it) 7.3 Diesel Limited 4x4 with a programmer on it....WOW....that was probably THE BEST rig I've ever owned!! I do miss it, well, except for the 44 gallon tank of diesel and the associated fill-ups! (where's the "I'm broke" smilie? LOL).

Just for grins, last night my wife and I went to the local Chevy house (Classic Chevy in Grapevine) after hours....went through ROW after ROW of Camaros and Vettes....let's just say they have ALOT of inventory (20+ Vettes, 50+ Camaros, and it could be MORE). I think the following two pics say it all....it's a case of THIS (2011 Vette Coupe w/ targa, lightly loaded/optioned) or THAT (2011 Camaro Convertible, fully loaded)...they are both right at $45K ±.

fickman

Post by fickman »

A few practical questions:
Will it be a daily driver?
Will you need it for road trips?
Does the cost of ownership (especially: tires) matter?
Do you need to get in / out of the vehicle a lot during the day?

The Corvette would be better for the experience, styling, and fun factors in my opinion, but is less practical on these other matters. If these things aren't relevant, go all in and get the Corvette!
Native Texian

Return to “Off-Topic”