Garage door repair

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Teamless
Posts in topic: 4

Garage door repair

Post by Teamless »

Can you recommend any company in Webster TX that fixes garage doors?
One of the cables on the side of door snapped and the spring and pulley came off as well when the snap happened.
Any suggestions (yes I know google, but thought If there are recommendations, it goes further than the first guy you see on google.

Thanks!
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

BobCat
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Garage door repair

Post by BobCat »

If it is a torsional coil spring (often a pair of them at the top, across and above the door opening), it is not hard to repair.

You need two pieces of steel rod about 1/2" diameter and ~18' long, each, a ladder, a 7/16" wrench, and some common sense. Without the common sense it can be very dangerous to rewind those springs - with some sense and instructions on the internet, it is pretty simple.

OTOH the safest course is to have someone come out and fix it - but where's the fun in that?

Best of luck with it. Let me know if you want more detail.

Regards,
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Topic author
Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Andrew, thanks for the info.
There are many things I have done in our house, but never worked on a garage door. you are right though, it does not look too hard, but I think I still want to have someone else do it, its been a hard enough week, I just don't want to top it off with some accident in my garage.
League City, TX

BobCat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BobCat »

You are wise. The time to learn some things is when you want to, not when you have to.

Winding those springs is trivially simple but can be dangerous - if the steel bar gets away from you, the spring spins and slings it out at high speed. Trick is never to be in the same plane as the bar.

I'd google "overhead door company" - I think it is a national or at least Texas-wide company that specializes in those.
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

I don't know of anyone in Webster to help you with your door BUT, my garage door was all outta wack for the longest time and finally it completely died on me. I got a few quotes on getting a new door, but ended up buying one and installing it by myself in less than 4 hours. The whole thing cost me less than $250.

sss

Post by sss »

I've used "A Plus Garage Doors" (http://www.aplusgaragedoorsandrepair.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) here in Houston on two occasions - once to swap out a broken spring, and then a year or so later after Hurricane Ike destroyed the cheap garage door that came with the house. Chris and his brother were very professional and the service was reasonably priced. I'm sure they can help you out in Webster.
Carrying since 02/06/2009.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I live in the DFW area, but I had a torsion spring break recently can called a couple of companies on Craigslist. Found one that would come out on Saturday (the day it broke) and even in the evening for MUCH less than any major fronted garage door company charges for regular calls.

The guy that came out was late, but not really his fault as he got stuck on the tollway due to a major accident. He did call and let me know why he was running late.

When he got here, it only took him about 45 minutes to replace the springs. He totally retentioned everything, and even lubed the hinges, cables and pulleys. Good job and a really reasonable price. Plus, the springs had a 10 year parts, 5 year labor warranty on them! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Thanks for all of the replies :)
Will have it fixed next Saturday morning.
League City, TX

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Just be aware that quite a few of these companies work this as a semi-scam. The springs themselves are cheap, but they will tell you everything needs replacing except the door itself, at a cost of several hundred dollars.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

How about space between the garage door and the wall itself? My entire garage is air conditioned and cooled and I have about a 3/8" to 1/2 in gap between the garage door itself and the finished edge of the opening. I can actually see through the crack to the outside and it lets a lot of light in.

It's starting to get very annoying as it's drafty, leaves blow in at the bottom, and now I saw two mice that got in! I got the cheap mice traps at Walmart and set them up along the Can I just loosen everything and shift the door closer to the wall? I've seen they make strips that are supposed to insulate. Would this help? Do I just need to get a garage door guy to come and adjust them?
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

apostate

Post by apostate »

One of the torsion springs sprung on my garage door tonight. :totap:

Teamless: Who did you use? Was the price reasonable? Were you happy with the work?

sss: Are you still happy with the work done by the guys you used?

Thanks

jacobsd8195

Post by jacobsd8195 »

About 6 years ago I used Bay Area Overhead Door Company, 3118 FM 528, Webster. 281-992-3415. According to my receipt it was $135 to replace both springs and I was very pleased with the service.

Topic author
Teamless

Post by Teamless »

apostate wrote:Teamless: Who did you use? Was the price reasonable? Were you happy with the work?
http://www.aplusgaragedoorsandrepair.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
281-491-0651

Was the price reasonable?
Yes, I think so, but again, I didn't have a comparison to look at.

i liked the quality and the way he worked, he told me what he was doing and why. As we were talking about possible future failures on other parts (or same parts on other doors (1 have twin doors)), he said they should be OK for a while, but I actually ended up having him do a bit of extra work on preventative maintenance and replacing parts so i wouldn't have a future failure.
apostate wrote:sss: Are you still happy with the work done by the guys you used?
Quite, the work was very good, no issues since the repair

If I had other issues in the future, I would call him again.

Good Luck!
League City, TX

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

Don’t work on it by yourself. I knew a guy that had to have two fingers and a thumb amputated and almost bled to death working on his garage door with no one else around. :tiphat:
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

CombatWombat

Post by CombatWombat »

Hey guys i work for overhead door and have been installing and repairing for over 3 years now just let me know what your questions are in a pm or on this post, if you describe it right i can almost guarantee that ill have a good answer for you.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.
Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)

Chuck Norris once sneezed on an 18 wheeler, the result was Optimus Prime.

Kimber Tactical Ultra II
Crimson Trace Laser grips
CrossBreed Super Tuck

Return to “Off-Topic”