Just a thought

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Ameer
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Just a thought

Post by Ameer »

Hoi Polloi wrote:He did lose quite a lot.
Including his ability to think rationally about guns and the bill of rights.

His personal tragedy, no matter how large or small, does not give him the right to victimize us.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Hoi Polloi »

WildBill wrote:
Hoi Polloi wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Jasonw560 wrote:But after just 6 months of she and I dating, I don't know if my feelings about it would have been that strong.
That was my point. I am sure that Mr. Woods feels a sense of loss and would feel that way about any person who he personally knew.
Whatever his feelings were then, he is now grieving the opportunity for marriage and children with the love of his life.
Did he actually say this?
The paragraph was my paraphrase from numerous interviews, articles, statements, etc like the below.

He said they were friends throughout college, were in martial arts training together, and started dating in their senior year 6 months before the shooting. “I loved her, and I never told her that, so I’m putting it on the record here today.”
[youtube][/youtube]

In an article he said, "When Seung Cho shot my girlfriend and thirty-one others, his goal was to instill terror."
From http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=211 ... 2c62eed63a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These types of statements about grief, terror, lost love, etc is what he's saying about his feelings. I had not read at that time, but have now read, that some question whether or not they had a steady dating relationship and if that contest of his use of the term girlfriend was the reason he moved to calling her "the girl he loved." None of this matters to me as attacking his feelings is not productive and is unable to be resolved. Much better to discuss the actual issues and not the man.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

Hoi Polloi wrote:The paragraph was my paraphrase from numerous interviews, articles, statements, etc like the below.

He said they were friends throughout college, were in martial arts training together, and started dating in their senior year 6 months before the shooting. “I loved her, and I never told her that, so I’m putting it on the record here today.”

These types of statements about grief, terror, lost love, etc is what he's saying about his feelings. I had not read at that time, but have now read, that some question whether or not they had a steady dating relationship and if that contest of his use of the term girlfriend was the reason he moved to calling her "the girl he loved." None of this matters to me as attacking his feelings is not productive and is unable to be resolved. Much better to discuss the actual issues and not the man.
Yes, I saw this video.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The point of my posts was not to argue whether or not or to what degree John Woods was a victim. I can not judge the depth of his feelings of loss for the murder of his girlfriend Maxine Turner. Trying to rank people or their feelings is ludicrous; "I am more of a victim than you!"

Whether or not she was a casual girlfriend whom John Woods dated or was "the love of his life" is not important to me. She was randomly murdered - she was a victim. From all accounts Maxine Turner was a wonderful young woman. As a compassionate person, I mourn her death as well as the other people who were killed by a mentally unstable person at Virginia Tech.

In my opinion, John Woods is an intelligent, good-looking and fairly articulate young man. I don't doubt that he had feelings toward his girlfriend Maxine Turner and is deeply saddened by her death as well as the death of all of the people murdered at Virginia Tech.

At the heart of the matter is how this tragedy is being presented to the public. In my opinion Mr. Woods statements and testimony go beyond just the issue of campus carry. Rather than expressing his own feelings and representing himself, I believe that Mr. Woods is an opportunist who has become a minor celebrity by being manipulated by groups who have an anti-gun agenda.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

WildBill wrote:\

At the heart of the matter is how this tragedy is being presented to the public. In my opinion Mr. Woods statements and testimony go beyond just the issue of campus carry. Rather than expressing his own feelings and representing himself, I believe that Mr. Woods is an opportunist who has become a minor celebrity by being manipulated by groups who have an anti-gun agenda.
Well said.

I believe (and I am not a psychiatrist) that he is a classic narcissist.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I think he is in love with the spotlight more than he was with her. He can say almost anything he wants about their relationship now because she cannot refute it or dump him.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

Jasonw560 wrote:I just read the whole thing. Very insightful. To be truthful, it might work if Kory or austinrealtor or someone else opens a dialog and invites Gallegos or Van de Putte or West or Lucio to the range. I don't think think they're the Schumer/Feinstein types.
Rumor is Gallegos has a CHL. He voted against campus carry last time but at least he thought it deserved to be debated in 2009. Does anyone know what changed?

A good question to ask the senators is why are some academics so opposed to the facts being discussed in an open public forum, instead of behind closed doors? Are they afraid of the public learning the truth when the senate debates the bill?

Yale's motto is Lux et Veritas. Why are some Texas universities working so hard for the opposite?
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Return to “Off-Topic”