California, Here I Come; Right Back Where I Started From....

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Re: California, Here I Come; Right Back Where I Started From

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Skiprr wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:We arrived late Saturday afternoon. Had dinner with one of my best friends and his wife. Sunday morning at our old church with our old Sunday school class. Sunday afternoon family reunion. Didn't really get to rest until this morning (Monday), but I had a client meeting from four to seven thirty pm today.....

....maybe I'll get to relax when I get home to Texas. :mrgreen:
Have you thought about writing a 2A, updated version of Travels with Charley?
I'll tell you what, I've felt naked since I crossed into California. But what was really interesting to me was that I was having breakfast with my youngest brother yesterday, and he is a gun owner, tending toward the libertarian. During the conversation, I mentioned that I had brought a .45 with me to California, and he shushed me with "J***s, TAM, this is California! People will hear you." I laughed and asked him how long it had been illegal in California to talk about guns.

I concluded the family business today that I came here to handle. We've still got a few friends to connect with, but we may be changing our return plans. I had originally planned on leaving here on the 31st and taking 3 days to get home; but now we're thinking we'll leave on the 30th and take 4 days instead. My wife has finally concluded that, other than returning to visit friends and family, there is nothing here that is better to see in person than the memories she has of them from her childhood.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 5

Post by DoubleJ »

you took your wife away from there when she was a child?
:biggrinjester: verily I jest.

Yeah, since I've been up in the "great" Northwest, I've noticed that certain areas of Seattle you don't talk about The Gunses. My dad got his CPL couple years ago, and I'm slowly getting him into IDPA, and we have begun talking about The Shooting at restaurants sometimes. I kinda do just for grins sometimes haha :evil2:
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Being grilled by SanFrans has *got* to be a weird feeling.

Good luck on the job front, disirregardless!

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

AndyC wrote:Thanks - the SF folks very nice and very hospitable, and I feel pretty good about my chances :)

Still, I'll feel more comfortable once TAM and TAW make it back from behind enemy lines :mrgreen:
[youtube][/youtube]

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

AndyC wrote:Thanks - the SF folks very nice and very hospitable, and I feel pretty good about my chances :)

Still, I'll feel more comfortable once TAM and TAW make it back from behind enemy lines :mrgreen:
We are thanking God to be back in Texas at last. We are staying at the Drury Hotel in Amarillo tonight (just checked in 20 minutes ago), and we'll be home in Grapevine by 2pm tomorrow. Andy, we'll have to compare notes soon. California is nuts. Texas is home. I'll never go back to live there again.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

By the way, we're headed to the Saltgrass just a block down from the hotel, if anybody in Amarillo wants to meet.

#TINVOWOOT

The Mad Moderate
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Mad Moderate »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

We are thanking God to be back in Texas at last. We are staying at the Drury Hotel in Amarillo tonight (just checked in 20 minutes ago), and we'll be home in Grapevine by 2pm tomorrow. Andy, we'll have to compare notes soon. California is nuts. Texas is home. I'll never go back to live there again.
Welcome back to Texas TAM glad you made it of enemy territory... :txflag:
Last edited by The Mad Moderate on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

AndyC wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:We are thanking God to be back in Texas at last. We are staying at the Drury Hotel in Amarillo tonight (just checked in 20 minutes ago), and we'll be home in Grapevine by 2pm tomorrow. Andy, we'll have to compare notes soon. California is nuts. Texas is home. I'll never go back to live there again.
Welcome home :cheers2:
:iagree: I love living in Texas. Still most summer mornings when I go outside I still can't help but think about the "marine layer" in Santa Barbara. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

TAM, did you OC while in Arizona? (yes/no)
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Welcome back home! California is slowly but surely feeling more foreign to me....though I did enjoy the cool, dry weather while I was visiting.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

flintknapper wrote:TAM, did you OC while in Arizona? (yes/no)
Yes, I did OC very briefly. I had intended to do more, but thanks to hours behind the wheel and terrible hotel mattresses, my back was acting up and I couldn't comfortably wear either of the two holsters I brought along for my M&P45. So, I OC'd with that gun a couple of times in gas stations, and short trips between my car and hotel room....stuff like that. The gun I wore most of the time was my M&P340, and it was in a Fist #10 slide which disappears under an untucked shirt. The gun and holster combination is so light that it doesn't aggravate my back when it is giving me the fits. BTW, I didn't see anybody else open carrying, but nobody seemed to even notice my gun.

Most of the time, I wore my cover shirt unbuttoned and untucked (with a t-shirt underneath) and my gun under the shirt, and I just didn't worry about the wind blowing my shirt open and exposing my gun—which, this being Arizona, happened a LOT. And that is pretty much exactly how I would OC if it were legal in Texas.

#TINVOWOOT

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Well, I am glad that we did not have to launch a SAR to get you out of trouble in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

You still have about 330 miles to go. Be careful.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “Off-Topic”