Don't Tase me, bro'

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Mr.ViperBoa
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Don't Tase me, bro'

Post by Mr.ViperBoa »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Personally, I don't want to be within Taser distance, unless its one of those doohickies that actually launches a projectile on a wire, like what the cops carry. If it's one of those handheld zappers, then I'd rather use a knife or a bat, preferably the bat.
The units that shoot projectile electrodes are tasers, The hand held devices that just zap are stun guns.
Christian/Family man
Veteran
CHL Instructor
http://www.texaschlsolutions.com/

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

I will give my personal knowledge and experience with a Taser, as well as pepper spray.

Taser hurts. Bad. It dropped me immediately, and the follow up shot wasn't any better. Once the projectile housing was removed and they used it as a stun gun against me, it had the same effect= no fun.

Pepper spray (oleoresin capsicum w/ mace added in) was at least 5X worse than the taser. I would rather get shocked over and over with the stun gun or taser in place of pepper spray. Easily one of the worst experiences of my life. Didn't "drop" me like the taser did, but I was incapable of doing.. well, basically anything for about 15 minutes.

Neither do the same justice as a handgun. Distance + a projectile moving rapidly through a body while tearing tissue/organs/vessels is much better than electricity or pepper. Only good side is that they are legal basically everywhere. In the even that you dont want to carry a handgun (my wife), I reccomend pepper spray over then stun gun. Wifey carries it :)
No More Signature

speedsix
Posts in topic: 4

Post by speedsix »

speedsix wrote:...just for curiosity...with what caliber did you hose down that armadillo?
...???...

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

george wrote:Bulldog, as for your .45, I used to know a cop in Pampa, Texas, who took a magazine full of them to his belly, and survived.
Was he able to keep functioning in the fight is the question?
george wrote: My problem is, if I am unable to have a pistol, it seems to be a good alternative.
Absolutely agree - I am still at odds with your earlier contention that the TASER is better at stopping a threat than a handgun.

Good luck in your hunt. Force options are never a bad thing, but don't get them mixed up in their jobs. Less lethal devices are not for stopping threats, they are for controlling combative subjects. Joe citizen has little business trying to employ control tactics unless they are trained. Stopping threats or ducking and running are preferable IMO.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

speedsix
Posts in topic: 4

Post by speedsix »

george wrote:.22s and .38s on armadillos, didn't seem to matter much. Surely you have had similar experiences????

GigAg; conc. the cop in Pampa,
was too young to ask particulars. Used to have coffe with him and my dad, and dad told the story.

The C2 tazer works a little differently from the police models, and is not intended as a control measure. I believe it works at 50K V versus 30K for the police, and runs for 30 secs instead of 5. The intent is to use it, put it on the ground, and call 911 from a safe area 30 sec to get away).

Snachel; interesting that you find the pepper spray so effective. Most of the cops I asked at church just use it to spray rowdy people in the back of their patrol cars, and did not think too much of it. (No, I won't name names).

I am kind of sort of thinking that the percentage of absolutely stopping someone in their tracks maybe about 40% for a pistol without a good aimed shot; maybe as high as 80-90% with the tazer at 5 foot distances; and will have to re-examine the pepper spray. I have pepper spray, but mostly carry it for dogs.
...nope, guess my armadillos din't have no cape....22 short HP always kinda shut 'em down...unless they were playin' possum...

...you're overrating the taser considerably...in a defense situation, the chance you'll get a good contact and time enough to use it well and get good results is much lower than 80-90%...please don't trust your life to it...it wasn't designed to stop an assailant who is out to kill you, but to bring a rowdy under control without gunfire...a police action, requiring considerably more training than you or I would get...citizens aren't bound by the continuum of force theory (thank God)...I don't carry any chemical or electrical devices...never been in a situation where one of those would be my choice...

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Yeah, this goes back a couple of years ago to my military days. I believe that the stuff we used was 18% concentrate. That could be scewed, i vaguely remember the can label. Eitherway, it was no walk in the park.

I say pepperwas worse because the zapper hit for 5 seconds ...or maybe it was 3 seconds, and was over. The pepper stuck and gave me a serious run for my money for a good 15 minutes, and my skin and eyeswere irritated for a day or two.110 degree El Paso heat, open pores, and sweatdidnt help that situation much either.
No More Signature

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

50k volts is the initial burst on either modal afaik. At least on the X26 it is. Once the arc/circuit is closed it drops down.

You still have to get the placement right. 30s is nothing if you don't get NMI. Also you have to spark test it regularly to make sure it still runs.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

handog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by handog »

[youtube][/youtube][/quote]

Interesting vid. Volunteering is the ultimate exercise in democracy you know. Is there a sign up sheet to fire the taser in these tests? :hurry:

Bulldog1911

Post by Bulldog1911 »

george wrote:Bulldog, as for your .45, I used to know a cop in Pampa, Texas, who took a magazine full of them to his belly, and survived.
OK, but how many documented cases of that are there. And, was he incapacited? You're argument was that the taser is a better "stopper". You can find multiple video's of people continuing to fight after being shot with a taser, as GigAg pointed out earlier. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to get hit by either one, however, given the choice, shoot me with the taser all day long.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

Return to “Off-Topic”