Bombs rock Norweigan capital

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Bombs rock Norweigan capital

Post by sugar land dave »

video deleted by youtube.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Beiruty »

sugar land dave wrote:video deleted by youtube.

Now, it is clear that the shooter was member of extremist group that goes by "Templar Knights 2083"
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mamabearCali »

Obviously there is only one person (or group of people) that are truly at fault. Those who perpetrated this horrible attack.

That said it is really scary that when you disarm a whole group of people -a whole nation really--you take with it any notion of resistance other than fleeing. No one had a rock they could throw at this guy's head (or a series of rocks), or a baseball, or ten people sneak up behind him and hit him with baseball bats/metal pipes. All of those can kill too. But no one thought of it--they just ran and died. I know before I was a CHL or was even interested with it I would go places totally unarmed and just not think about it. When I started to think about defense even when I have had to be in areas that required me to go unarmed I have always had something that I could conceivably use in a last ditch effort. Even if in a federal building it is nothing more than a soda can and a sharp pen, still it would be better than having nothing at all. I am not blaming those poor kids, just wishing that perhaps a few of the adult's/older children had been in a mind set that would allow them to think of a way to stop the attack.

Additionally I am not a LEO, so I probably just don't get it but I don't understand how you sit there on the other shore knowing kids are dying and have no way to defend themselves, and you know you might be able to end it and you stay on the other shore and wait for swat. Again, not the LEO's fault for the kids being killed, but I wish that someone would have had the mind set to stop this guy even at personal risk.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...Thank you!!! I taught my boys in school that they were the ones in charge of their safety...run, jump out a window, hit the shooter with a book, or a chair, or a desk...ANYTHING but sitting there waiting their turn...we see this often in mass shootings...a hymnbook can be a weapon...a potted plant...using the weapon God put between our ears and having a firm determination to live makes the difference...I know your children will be taught well!!! :clapping:

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tbrown »

Gun laws to be reviewed YLE News Finland's gun laws are to be reviewed in the wake of Friday's massacre in Norway. An Interior Ministry steering group will meet early in the week to look at pending firearms legislation
If they're smart, they will make it much easier for good guys to get handguns and carry them.

They're politicians so I won't hold my breath. :oops:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Now dum-dum bullets are claimed to be used by the mass shooter. Is it Frangible Bullets that they are referring to?

http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-doc-d ... 32943.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beiruty,

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

The dum-dums are in the media and politics.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

b322da
Posts in topic: 3

Post by b322da »

Beiruty wrote:Now dum-dum bullets are claimed to be used by the mass shooter. Is it Frangible Bullets that they are referring to?

http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-doc-d ... 32943.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The closest thing to dum-dums I would think marketed today, Beiruty, are hollowpoints. Originated in British-India as self-modifications to solid lead projectiles, usually, I believe, done by sawing an "X" in the end of the projectile, to cause expansion upon striking a living target.

Elmo

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

I talked to my grandson's paternal grandmother after the news of the attacks happened. She told me that because Norway is such a small country, that once they started calling friends and family, they would know people who lost children in the attacks. This was their Oklahoma City, not their World Trade Center.

The attacks were carried out by a professed "right wing, fundamental Christian", who is a white, native Norwegian. The attacks were professed to be because he didn't like Norway letting in "all those Muslims". Don't judge, least you be judged.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The big question, how in the world attacking the kids and massacring them can advance the cause of the shooter? This is puzzling.
Beiruty,

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

At this point in this story, I'm disinclined to believe much of what's being reported. I believe that people are dead, because i don't think the media would lie about that (although they'd certainly get the numbers wrong), but I don't believe much else. He's a FreeMason, a Nazi, a Christian, a conservative, someone who praises Obama, he's a farmer, he lives in the city with his mother, he's this, he's that, he wrote his Facebook page in English, he didn't, etc., etc., it's ridiculous. I'll wait for a few weeks and let the dust settle before I even pay attention to it any more.

The only thing we know for sure is that Norway has experienced a tragedy that is becoming far too frequent in this evil world. We need to pray for the victims and fight for our right to protect ourselves and our families.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

b322da
Posts in topic: 3

Post by b322da »

Beiruty wrote:The big question, how in the world attacking the kids and massacring them can advance the cause of the shooter? This is puzzling.
Terror is terror, Beiruty, whether from the left or the right, Muslims or Methodists, black or white, rich or poor. Terrorists sit back and chuckle as they watch civilization's reaction, and they have accomplished their goal. The goal of those who accomplished 9/11 was the same as the goal of those bombing the federal building in Oklahoma City. The goal of Major Hasan at Fort Sam was the same as that of the young man in Norway. Their beliefs may have been vastly different, but their tactics were the same. Is it rational to expect terrorism to advance a cause? Stay tuned.

A question for you in return, Beiruty. If our nation defaults on its good faith and credit early next month, leading to a worldwide economic catastrophe, might that to a large extent be the result of a very few dedicated terrorists on 9/11 who gave their lives for their cause, as repugnant as that cause might be to most of us? Might that one act have "advanced their cause?" No answer here; just a hypothetical question for you, me, and a lot of others.

I am not arguing that this will or will not happen, and I do not mean to invite an off-topic debate here on the politics of whether it will happen, or why, if it does happen, by those members who know who they are.

Elmo

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

Beiruty wrote:The big question, how in the world attacking the kids and massacring them can advance the cause of the shooter? This is puzzling.

...that question fits ALL terrorist attacks...and there is no answer...unless my Mom lied and throwing a tantrum DOES get your way...

philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

Norway is such a liberal haven, the maximum penalty the bomber/mass murderer could get is 21 years. Yep that's it. 21 years. Welcome to the real world Norway.

He would get out when he is 53. No wonder he surrendered with out a fight and seems now to be just smiling.

Some people have gotten outraged and want the law changed to life in prison.

Meanwhile the only people upset with the police response time is some of the survivors on the island.

Apparently the police had trouble getting a boat and then overloaded the one they had and it almost sunk. The news crews got to film the island and the shootings from their news helicopter, the SWAT taskforce does not have one. And the other helicopter the police had was deemed "too small". Apparently the police only wanted to go on the island with overwhelming force. Eight minutes after the initial call the local police called for the SWAT taskforce. I does not appear the local police got to the island for another fifty two minutes (down from the initial report of 96 minutes)

Neighbors jumped into action ahead of the police and took their boats and rescued fifty people in the water, braving bullets from the shooter (they of course could not shoot back, well you know)

3dfxMM

Post by 3dfxMM »

The big question, how in the world attacking the kids and massacring them can advance the cause of the shooter? This is puzzling.
He was allegedly attacking the political party in power. The camp was a youth camp run by that party. The govermnent building is a pretty obvious target given his agenda. None of this changes the fact that he is a sick you-know-what.

Return to “Off-Topic”