New tool allows LEO's to iris-scan + fingerprint + face pic.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

New tool allows LEO's to iris-scan + fingerprint + face pic.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/138769662 ... g-concerns

http://www.bi2technologies.com/

The top link of the 2 is from an NPR piece detailing a new piece of equipment that could be what police have
sought for years. This device can scan the irises of suspects, take their fingerprints, and take a photo.

The iris scan is a unique feature to each person. If an officer does an iris scan on a wanted suspect, the suspect's
ability to give a false ID and walk will no longer work.

There's the usual crybabying of the civil liberties crowd about this device, but I don't see how honest people could
be hurt by it.

The 2nd link above is the website of the company that makes the devices. The 1st piece mentioned that the
Plymouth County, Mass. House of Corrections uses this. It just so happens that its maker, BI2, is HQ'd in the
Town of Plymouth, Mass.

This device is expensive at $3,000 each, but it would ensure that bad guys can't walk, as long as their iris
scan has been entered into the system.

By the way, this system has been used in Iraqistan for when we capture insurgents. They all go into a database
where we store their biometric data.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New tool allows LEO's to iris-scan + fingerprint + face

Post by E.Marquez »

Proven tech, been using it in Iraq for 6 or so years .. same as Afghan...
Extremely useful tool, would have it no other way.
Reduces false positives GREATLY... and makes true hits on a bad guy MUCH easier.

This would keep innocent people from going to jail and waiting on a finger print s to be run, faxed or email picture from a distant police agency to be sent in order to clear up a case of mistaken identity.

My experience with this tech is in a world where the populace has a difficult to match up name convention, carried ID is not universal, what ID is carried is likely to NOT have a picture, probably foraged, even if he is a good guy, or a combination of more than one of these things.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “Off-Topic”