Gastric Dilatation AKA Bloat

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
snatchel
Posts in topic: 3

Gastric Dilatation AKA Bloat

Post by snatchel »

Hey guys, wanted to let y'all know I lost one of my dogs today due to bloat, or gastric Dilatation. He has been sleeping in my bed every night for 12 years almost-it really hurts to lose him. Anyway, just wanted to advise everyone here to go do some research on gastric dilatation if your a dog owner. Had I known what was going on I would have taken him directly to the emergency hospital rather than the vet. Had the 2 hours of waiting for a diagnosis and travel been used for surgery he may still be alive.

Either way, I think we gave him a fantastic 12 years, and I doubt I will ever be able to replace that guy. Rest in peace, Rocky :)
No More Signature

strider67
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gastric Dilatation AKA Bloat

Post by strider67 »

Very sorry for your loss. I lost my chocolate lab, "Bear", in 2007 and I know how you feel. A very good friend sent me this poem and it helped me, as I hope it does you:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

AEA

Post by AEA »

Terrible news, I am very sorry for you and your Dog.
This is fairly common in Large Breeds (such as GSD) when owners do not feed properly (2 or 3 times a day with smaller portions instead of one large portion a day).
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

I am sorry for your loss

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Ah jeeze, I'm so sorry. Which dog was Rocky?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Rocky was my Rhodesian Ridgeback. We actually were aware of certain techniques to help prevent this from happening, but it can't always be avoided. I have always elevated his food, and he recieved 3 small meals a day instead of a couple or even one large meal.

The vet said that with his age, it was no surprise that it happened. Apparently risk goes up with old age. It does suck though-jees.

Surgery was a possibility, but it came down to what was realistic and I had to make a tough decision. She said that with his age, even though I caught him bloating within the first hour of it happening, that surgery wasn't likely to fix the problem permanantly. She gave him about a 30% chance of surviving the surgery, a 15 % chance of surviving the recovery, and guaranteed me 100% that it would happen again within the next year. So My options were a short-term fix that would take at least a year to recover from-and in which he would almost certainly die anyway, or go ahead and put him down while he was already on anesthetic and pain-free.

I went ahead and put him down. They wheeled him into the room and he was trying so hard to look up at me. So I got down on my knees eye-level with him and his head and pet him. They administered the euthenesia-basically overdosed him on anesthetic. I was able to watch him go, and be with him until his last moment.

All it all, the Dr. was amazing, honest, and caring. I will always remember her kind words and the fact that she treated my dog like a person-the same way I thought of him. Rocky is resting in peace, prolly chasing wild boar and wild women around in puppy heaven.
No More Signature

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

So sorry to hear about your dog. You gave them a great 12 years...

AEA wrote:This is fairly common in Large Breeds (such as GSD) when owners do not feed properly (2 or 3 times a day with smaller portions instead of one large portion a day).
The problem I have is my mutt, no matter how much you put out or when, eats when she wants to(on a random schedule), and then eats it all. (even if its a day later). She's a binge eater.
TANSTAAFL

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

snatchel wrote:Hey guys, wanted to let y'all know I lost one of my dogs today due to bloat, or gastric Dilatation. He has been sleeping in my bed every night for 12 years almost-it really hurts to lose him. Anyway, just wanted to advise everyone here to go do some research on gastric dilatation if your a dog owner. Had I known what was going on I would have taken him directly to the emergency hospital rather than the vet. Had the 2 hours of waiting for a diagnosis and travel been used for surgery he may still be alive.

Either way, I think we gave him a fantastic 12 years, and I doubt I will ever be able to replace that guy. Rest in peace, Rocky :)
It is rough. I have not lost one of my dogs to bloat yet, but a few friends have. You have my sincere condolences.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ninemm

Post by ninemm »

My condolences, snatchel. I read this last night and then thought about it a lot as I tried to go to sleep. One way to look at it (the way I prefer) is that not everyone experiences the grief associated with the loss of a beloved dog because not everyone is blessed with having the opportunity to share part of their life with that special dog that becomes an integral part of it. Not everyone here can understand how you feel because they haven't been matched up with that special dog (yet). Here's hoping those who haven't may get to experience it in their lifetime. For those who never do, well, they really missed out, didn't they?

fishman

Post by fishman »

Sorry for your loss, I had a lab for fourteen years before I had to put him down. The lab I have now is almost thirteen. I know another heartbreak is coming. Oh well,I just can't talk about it.
IANAL

Topic author
snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Fishman, try not to see it like that. It is hard not to, but thats life....

Ninemm, ..... yep, pretty much. I was blessed with an amazing dog, and maybe one day I will get another blessing like that. Im off to a good start-we got a German Shorthaired Pointer about 15 months ago. He's a great dog, but has a lot of learning to do. He is a character though :)

Thanks for yalls support though. I appreciate it!
No More Signature

Return to “Off-Topic”