"FOR AMERICA" Jack Buck's 9/11 poem

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
DONT TREAD ON ME

"FOR AMERICA" Jack Buck's 9/11 poem

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

Jack buck is one of the greatest Sportscasters of all time. He announced many great moments in sports including "The Catch" in the '81 NFC Championship game, Ozzie Smith's walk off HR in the '85 NLCS "Go crazy folks. Go crazy!", Kirk Gibson's walk off HR in GM 1 of the '88 WS off of Dennis Eckersley, Mark McGwire's single season record-tying 61st home run in '98 and many, many more.

He has an award that is named after him and is a member of the American Sportscasters Association Hall of Fame, National Radio Hall of Fame, and the Baseball Hall of Fame as a recipient of the Ford C. Frick award.

I have been to Busch Memorial Stadium many times over the years. I have heard a lot of those fireworks go off. NEVER have I heard them echo even remotely close to the way they do in the video due to the silence of the crowd.
Jack Buck's patriotic poem, "For America" he read at Busch Memorial Stadium in St. Louis on September 17, 2001. It was the first night back for Major League Baseball after the terrorists attacks of 9-11.The emotionally stirring poem was read during the pre-game ceremonies and was followed by a 21 gun salute. Some wondered that baseball may be resuming the games too soon after the attacks. But Mr. Buck was convincing and reassuring when he made this statement; "I don't know about you, but as for me, the question has already been answered: Should we be here? Yes!"
[youtube][/youtube]

Jack Buck wrote:Since this nation was founded under God,
more than 200 years ago,
We have been the bastion of freedom,
the light that keeps the free world aglow.

We do not covet the possessions of others;
We are blessed with the bounty we share.
We have rushed to help other nations;
anything...anytime...anywhere.

War is just not our nature,
We won't start but we will end the fight.
If we are involved,
We shall be resolved,
To protect what we know is right.

We have been challenged by a cowardly foe,
Who strikes and then hides from our view.
With one voice we say,
"We have no choice today,
There is only one thing to do."

Everyone is saying the same thing and praying,
That we end these senseless moments we are living.
As our fathers did before,
We shall win this unwanted war,
And our children will enjoy the future we'll be giving.

Return to “Off-Topic”