Est. 20,000 shoulder-fired heat-seaking missiles missing

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Est. 20,000 shoulder-fired heat-seaking missiles missing

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Foxnew.com has an article about a recent White House meeting that discussed an estimated 20,000 shoulder-fired heat-seeking missiles capable of bringing down commercial airliners being missing from Libya's arsenal. Before Obama decided to intervene in the Libyan uprising, Qaddafi was as quiet as the proverbial church mouse. Why? Because President Reagan had his palace bombed and literally blew him off the commode. Now that Qaddafi is gone and looting and black market sales are going strong, there a very good possibility that some of those 20,000 missiles will find their way to the U.S. and be used to bring down commercial passenger jets.

Before folks start trying to compare Libya with Iraq or Afghanistan, forget it. With Qaddafi in power, Libya wasn't about to do anything to provoke an attack from the U.S. He very narrowly survived the first attack from us and he had no stomach for another. Every time it thundered he ducked. But now he's gone and Libya is becoming a weapons bazaar for terrorists.

Man am I glad we got into that fight! :banghead:

Chas.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/09/27 ... warehouse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Est. 20,000 shoulder-fired heat-seaking missiles missing

Post by Dragonfighter »

Agreed. They kick and scream over involvement in Iraq and Iran, then those same yahoos get us in Lybia which was in NO WAY a significant tactical hazard to us.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I told you so. What good has killing Saddam Hussein done? We need to give them (muslims) more guns and encourage them to fire upon one another with great frequency and quit giving them my money. Any attack on the US or its citizens will be dealt with immediately and in nuclear fashion.

When are we, the USA, ever going to learn to mind our own business and quit trying to buy friends where no friends exist? No wonder we're broke! It didn't start with Obama either so don't start with that stuff.

I'm voting for ME in 2012! :patriot:

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Suggested code name for the Libya intervention: Faster and More Furious

Reason: The impact on arming terrorists with antiaircraft weapons they would never have gotten otherwise makes Operation Fast and Furious look like a nonevent.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

hpcatx

Post by hpcatx »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:With Qaddafi in power, Libya wasn't about to do anything to provoke an attack from the U.S.
Instead, we've helped catapult Abdelhakim Belhaj, a known provocateur, into a position of power.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

an estimated 20,000 shoulder-fired heat-seeking missiles...
I don't see Libya having a stock pile of 20,000 MANPADS. I'm willing to bet a case of beer there is some bad info being tossed around. RPG's, sure, seems RPG rounds are passed out to schoolchildren in that part of the world, but not MANPADS, as those babies are NOT cheap, and cheap is how those muldoons roll.

Regardless, even if they only have 100 working MANPADS, they can do a whole lot of hurt in the wrong hands.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Foxnew.com has an article about a recent White House meeting that discussed an estimated 20,000 shoulder-fired heat-seeking missiles capable of bringing down commercial airliners being missing from Libya's arsenal. Before Obama decided to intervene in the Libyan uprising, Qaddafi was as quiet as the proverbial church mouse. Why? Because President Reagan had his palace bombed and literally blew him off the commode. Now that Qaddafi is gone and looting and black market sales are going strong, there a very good possibility that some of those 20,000 missiles will find their way to the U.S. and be used to bring down commercial passenger jets.

Before folks start trying to compare Libya with Iraq or Afghanistan, forget it. With Qaddafi in power, Libya wasn't about to do anything to provoke an attack from the U.S. He very narrowly survived the first attack from us and he had no stomach for another. Every time it thundered he ducked. But now he's gone and Libya is becoming a weapons bazaar for terrorists.

Man am I glad we got into that fight! :banghead:

Chas.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/09/27 ... warehouse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes sir, not only was Gaddafi put in his place by Mr. Reagan and the Armed Forces of the United States, but this was also reinforced by him looking at the hot water Saddam got into, and the result...I agree that other than slicking the Brits to get his Lockerbie bomber pal out, Gaddafi was NOT about to do more than squeak every once in a while, and quiet squeaks at that. Yeah, 20K MANPADS missiles loose and very possibly into terrorist hands is certainly a stark reminder of the law of unintended consequences...I just hope its not one that comes back around to bite us in the behind. ( I also wonder about how the whole Egypt thing is going to turn out...Mubarak may not have been a nice guy in general, but I also never heard that he was actively engaged against us either...and this administration thought it was the best thing since sliced bread that he got run out of there.)

speedsix
Posts in topic: 5

Post by speedsix »

...I'd bet that some of those missiles make it into the drug cartels' hands and we take some hits on our drug intervention aircraft, too...they sure have the money to buy them...you'd think we'd get tired of playing and just clean house properly for once...but you have to have a Commander in Chief to do that...nevermind....

ELB

Post by ELB »

I seem to remember that Prez Bush took a lot of grief for not securing every government building in Iraq immediately after the invasion -- in particular, the national museum that was supposedly looted (which largely turned out to be bogus).

You would think that the guy who knew so much better how to run (away from) Iraq, Afghanistan, GITMO, etc, would have a plan to secure Libya's military sites before setting out to bump off Qaddafi, so I expect to see the MSM harp on this exactly the ....WAIT! Look! Something shiny! Tea Partiers are racists! Perry loves vaccines! MItt is a Mormon and who would vote for a Mormon! :roll:
USAF 1982-2005

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

speedsix wrote:...I'd bet that some of those missiles make it into the drug cartels' hands and we take some hits on our drug intervention aircraft, too...they sure have the money to buy them...you'd think we'd get tired of playing and just clean house properly for once...but you have to have a Commander in Chief to do that...nevermind....

Nawww -- Everybody know the Cartels get their heat-seaking missiles from U.S. gun stores... :banghead:

(After getting approval from BATFE, of course!)
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

cctcaden

Post by cctcaden »

I thought maybe Charles' wife took them to deal with the hawk problem on the other thread.
When the game is over the King and the Pawn go back in the same box.

old Italian Proverb
5/13/11 Online App
5/18/11 Fingerprints
6/4/11 Class
6/6/11 Packet to DPS
6/13/11 Online Status
6/17/11 Background cleared
6/20/11 Mailed
6/24/11 PLASTIC IN HAND
18 DAYS MAILBOX TO MAILBOX!

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

cctcaden wrote:I thought maybe Charles' wife took them to deal with the hawk problem on the other thread.
"rlol" "rlol" :fire :cryin
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

sjfcontrol wrote:
cctcaden wrote:I thought maybe Charles' wife took them to deal with the hawk problem on the other thread.
"rlol" "rlol" :fire :cryin
Now that you mention it, I did see a bright flash and hear a boom when Martha was in the back yard. :headscratch

Chas.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

You are missing the picture. China, Pakistan, and Iran all can fab cheap SAM-7 knock-offs. China specifically will sell you anything for a dollar.
As for Libya, Islamists are now in power and they will buy whatever arms they wish, money is not an issue, and control over said arms is nil.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

This is the consequence of a child playing at international relations in a grown up's world.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”