Lamborghini driver leaving lounge strikes pedestrians, other

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texanron
Posts in topic: 1

Lamborghini driver leaving lounge strikes pedestrians, other

Post by texanron »

Story
When you get right down to it aren't all vehicles operated the same way? There is a gas pedal, brake pedal, perhaps a clutch, a gear shift and a steering wheel. If the car is getting away from you in the parking lot you might want to take your foot off the gas and press the brake instead.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Lamborghini driver leaving lounge strikes pedestrians, o

Post by puma guy »

Maybe it was Toyota-Lamborghini :biggrinjester:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

dev_null

Post by dev_null »

Or a Taurus-Lamborghini? :biggrinjester:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."
GOA life member
JPFO life member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Keith B »

Still unfamiliar with it = It has a lot more power than I can handle and it got away from me while I was trying to take off quickly
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Still unfamiliar with it = It has a lot more power than I can handle and it got away from me while I was trying to take off quickly
Bingo!!! I would just add... While I was being an idiot and showing off for someone I hurt three people because obviously I have more money than sense!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

karder
Posts in topic: 2

Post by karder »

I guess if I was gonna get run over, I would pick a Lamborghini. It would make for a cool story and the likelihood of the driver having insurance would be good.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

People who are not familiar with cars like this have no idea how fast they can get away from you. Just cruising around, with a little extra pedal on occasion, is easy. But if you are slightly behind the curve, and you tip in just a little too deep leaving a stop, things just EXPLODE! Your first impulse is to to brace yourself, and for most people that means both feet clamped to the floor. Guess what's between your right foot and the floor? And then the g-forces keep you braced. Most likely this person was not prepared for what he unleashed. And he was probably tired and a little impaired.
Sometimes my current Mustang catches me off-guard. Happened Saturday, with a short window in traffic straight to an on-ramp, it overpowered the traction control and got out of shape a bit, surprised me. The lambo has over twice the power-to-weight ratio. Just because someone can afford an exotic doesn't mean he's capable of handling it.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 3
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

How about the guy who drove his 1001 HP Bugatti Veyron into Galveston Bay,
allegedly because he was distracted by a bird?

IIRC, there was some speculation that he did this on purpose for the insurance.
Anyone have any further information on that one?

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Rex B wrote:People who are not familiar with cars like this have no idea how fast they can get away from you. Just cruising around, with a little extra pedal on occasion, is easy. But if you are slightly behind the curve, and you tip in just a little too deep leaving a stop, things just EXPLODE! Your first impulse is to to brace yourself, and for most people that means both feet clamped to the floor. Guess what's between your right foot and the floor? And then the g-forces keep you braced. Most likely this person was not prepared for what he unleashed. And he was probably tired and a little impaired.
Sometimes my current Mustang catches me off-guard. Happened Saturday, with a short window in traffic straight to an on-ramp, it overpowered the traction control and got out of shape a bit, surprised me. The lambo has over twice the power-to-weight ratio. Just because someone can afford an exotic doesn't mean he's capable of handling it.
Yeah, had that experience in late High School. I used to drag race a '67 Chevelle SS 396 (375 hp) and also periodically raced my brother-in-law's ''68 Road Runner with a 426 Hemi (425 hp). These were hot cars, but heavy, but could get away from you very fast if not careful.

I had a friend who was a Doctor's kid and only child. He and daddy decided they wanted a race car and had a 1973 Camero built with a balanced and blueprinted 396 equipped with a Weiand tunnel ram supercharger on it. When they got the car they drove it a little and just dogged it around town for a couple of weeks.

Because of my (slight) racing experience my friend wanted me to take him out and see what kind of power it had. Not being real familiar with it, but being used to fairly high performance cars, I ran it through the quarter a couple of times pretty hard, but nowhere near letting it totally lose.

My friend got behind the wheel again. I advised that even though we were on a drag strip, for him to take it easy until he got used to it and take it in baby steps to see what it would do and to get the feel. Well, needless to say, he decided that he wasn't gonna let me drive his car better than him and got on it pretty hard out of the hole. He did OK until he shifted to second. When he dumped the clutch after shifting he got a little overzealous, put his foot into the throttle and the extra power caused the back end to break lose. He panicked, lost control and we ended up spinning about 2 revolutions around and barely missed the outside spectator wall. He got it stopped, I looked over and the blood had drained from his face. I kinda laughed a little, but then could tell he was really scared. He got out of the car and almost fell down because his knees were weak. He said he had driven enough for the day and we loaded it up on the trailer and hauled it back to their storage.

We talked about it on the drive back and I told him that he just needed to take it easier and learn how to handle it. We unloaded the car at the storage building and left. That was on a Sunday afternoon. On Monday I found out he had already put the word out through the people that built it to find someone that wanted to buy it and he never drove it again.

Long story short, you take a super high performance car like a Lamborghini, put someone behind the wheel that has never driven anything with that kind of power, add a little machismo and show-off-man-ship and it is a recipe for disaster.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 3
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzlg3oQMze4

Site: The Woodlands, TX (Northwest Houston Metro)
Cars: A silver C5 Corvette & a silver C6 Corvette.

57 seconds will show you how application of a little power can spoil your day.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

kyreb

Post by kyreb »

Local Fox news reported this morning the driver only had one leg. He was 'learning" how to work the clutch, break and gas with his single leg. Wierd!
NRA Endowment Member
Unrepentant Hobbyist

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Maybe he lost it when he wrecked his Bugatti Veyron?
Keith

SRH78

Post by SRH78 »

Keith B wrote:Still unfamiliar with it = It has a lot more power than I can handle and it got away from me while I was trying to take off quickly
Exactly. He was driving like an idiot and is trying to make excuses to cover up his reckless behavior. This is exactly the same thing children do when they do something stupid.

philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by philip964 »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:How about the guy who drove his 1001 HP Bugatti Veyron into Galveston Bay,
allegedly because he was distracted by a bird?

IIRC, there was some speculation that he did this on purpose for the insurance.
Anyone have any further information on that one?

SIA
Sports Car Market Magazine had a recent article. The car was insured for 2 million under a stated value policy, but only cost like 1.2 million. It was insured under a collector car policy, but wasn't being used for that the day of the accident. The original owner made the loan to his friend when he purchased it from him. The new owner also had a car dealers license. A bunch of this makes the insurance null and void. However, something about since the insurance was payable to the note holder, it is valid, but only for the loan amount. Fraud has been asserted between the buyer and seller by the insurer. Which if found to be true may make everything invalid. Also, apparently in the excitement of the crash the owner failed to turn the car off and fifteen minutes later, the car sucked in seawater and died a horrible death.

Here is another story.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/150960/insu ... ron-crash/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, over powering a car like this at launch or in a slow corner, often leads to disaster. There are so many Youtube videos showing exactly like this. Just type Ferrari crash.

Coming off the gas quickly and on to the brake a lot of times causes the car to violently swap spin directions. Once this starts happening it is difficult to regain control before you hit something.

Return to “Off-Topic”