Today show- ANYONE can buy chainsaws, no questions asked

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Today show- ANYONE can buy chainsaws, no questions asked

Post by RPB »

NEW SERIES ON TODAY SHOW

The ROSSEN REPORTS
By Jeff Rossen
TODAY
updated 2 hours 53 minutes ago

Rossen Reports: Anyone can buy guns, no questions asked
Legal loophole permits weapons powerful enough to down aircraft to be sold without checks

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46316454/ ... zPnw8ioBZB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Itnkrman
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Today show- ANYONE can buy chainsaws, no questions asked

Post by Itnkrman »

Look for the "No Chainsaws Allowed" signs coming your way soon!! "rlol"
Ruger SR9c
Taurus PT640 Pro
Bersa 380
Stevens 20ga.

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Itnkrman wrote:Look for the "No Chainsaws Allowed" signs coming your way soon!! "rlol"
Sales of used hedgeclippers should need background checks
save a TeleTubbie
TeleTubbies are people too ....
[youtube][/youtube]
I'm no lawyer

A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Post by A-R »

Don't take this the wrong way - I completely agree with y'all - but I'm not quite so glib about this new spin from the antis - if Obama is re-elected I think this movement can and will gain some traction nationally, much more do than rehashing tried-and-failed schemes like AWB or "high-cap" mag bans.

This is merely new spin on the old gunshow loophole argument, but the "Internet sales" angle will scare the uninformed masses.

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sugar land dave »

A former ATF agent served as the journalist's source. I want to ask him if he knew about "Fast & Furious." And does he own any chainsaws. ;-)
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

A-R

Post by A-R »

This article is also the second time this week I've encountered the subtle-yet-scary buzz words "police-grade handgun" - having never heard it before. When I asked the person you used it the first time he replied - "you know a really powerful handgun that only police should have" ... I informed him that handguns used by police and handguns owned/used/carried by law-abiding citizens are often the same or similar for the same reasons - reliability, safety, effectiveness.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Another loophole exposed - this time it's a loophole in the truth.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

If I am a "prohibited person" is it not easy for me to log on here or gunbroker or a myriad of other internet sites (or go to a gun show) and buy a gun from a private seller in a local FTF transaction?

Is it impossible to stop that from happening so we've given up trying?

Before you let yourself read something sinister in this query, rest assured that I am not going to ever vote with the "Progressives" on this issue, but, seems to me there ought to be a better way for this community to take a more proactive role in keeping guns out of the hands of "prohibited persons"..

Seller: Are you prohibited by Federal or State law from owning a gun?
Buyer: No
Seller: Are you a drug user, taking any un-prescribed medications, mentally defective or have you ever been under the care of a psychiatrist?
Buyer: no
Seller: Enjoy your gun.

Am I the only one that thinks we can do more without impinging on 2A?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

RoyGBiv wrote:If I am a "prohibited person" is it not easy for me to log on here or gunbroker or a myriad of other internet sites (or go to a gun show) and buy a gun from a private seller in a local FTF transaction?

Before you let yourself read something sinister in this query, rest assured that I am not going to ever vote with the "Progressives" on this issue, but, seems to me there ought to be a better way for this community to take a more proactive role in keeping guns out of the hands of "prohibited persons"..

Seller: Are you a drug user, taking any un-prescribed medications, mentally defective or have you ever been under the care of a psychiatrist?

As I was trying to point out in their comments section (before they decided my comment couldn't be published), selling someone a gun when you think they can't legally have one already illegal. Once again, the answer is to enforce existing laws.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

RoyGBiv wrote:
We can do more individually, sure. If you only want to sell to CHL holders, for example.

That being said, part of the price of our freedom to own guns is the uncomfortable idea that people we'd rather not get guns can have them too.

Much like free speech, we can't just limit it to those we think should get it.

In a different time, I would have been okay with saying "stiffer penalties to those who sell guns to prohibited persons" or "stiffer penalties to those who commit a crime with a gun".

But when our own govt forces FFLs to push through straw purchases to Mexico on one hand, and then uses agents from the same group to go arrest citizens who are thought to be straw purchasers....

No more laws against guns. They already abuse the ones they've got on the books.
TANSTAAFL

A-R

Post by A-R »

74novaman wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
We can do more individually, sure. If you only want to sell to CHL holders, for example.

That being said, part of the price of our freedom to own guns is the uncomfortable idea that people we'd rather not get guns can have them too.

Much like free speech, we can't just limit it to those we think should get it.

In a different time, I would have been okay with saying "stiffer penalties to those who sell guns to prohibited persons" or "stiffer penalties to those who commit a crime with a gun".

But when our own govt forces FFLs to push through straw purchases to Mexico on one hand, and then uses agents from the same group to go arrest citizens who are thought to be straw purchasers....

No more laws against guns. They already abuse the ones they've got on the books.

:iagree: :hurry: :patriot:

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

the chainsaw thing is actually sort of funny.
I remember as a youth her in texas......back in the early 70"s with the BLUE law. some stores would have whole entire shelves blocked off with tape because they sold that item on saturady and now it was not allowed to be sold on sundays....never researched the law...but CHAINSAWS i remember were off limits at this store on sundays. :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

i have tried to buy neat weapons/firearms online and each time i have to provide a local ffl to have it delivered to, and of course the ffl would have you fill out the correct forms ????

or am I off again
previously we had a guy that bought firearms from a fll
then he would sell it to you with nothing more than a sales receipt, that sort of bothered me, as he could be selling to a wrong person. but now he has a fl and things are different
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

powerboatr wrote:the chainsaw thing is actually sort of funny.
I remember as a youth her in texas......back in the early 70"s with the BLUE law. some stores would have whole entire shelves blocked off with tape because they sold that item on saturady and now it was not allowed to be sold on sundays....never researched the law...but CHAINSAWS i remember were off limits at this store on sundays. :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

i have tried to buy neat weapons/firearms online and each time i have to provide a local ffl to have it delivered to, and of course the ffl would have you fill out the correct forms ????

or am I off again
previously we had a guy that bought firearms from a fll
then he would sell it to you with nothing more than a sales receipt, that sort of bothered me, as he could be selling to a wrong person. but now he has a fl and things are different
Sunday blue laws
I worked at a hardware store
People wanted to buy a lamp
(basically one category that could not be sold was anything that plugs in and did something)
we had to cut the plug off the lamp... and we'd sell them a plug too.... it was all legal.

No fastening hardware, screws, nails, hinges could be sold- exception, if it was for a funeral .... I found it amazing how many people build coffins on Sunday, but who was I to question?

Won't matter what laws are passed, people will go around them.

I used to ask the questions when selling a firearm, now I only sell to CHLs and the State already checked them out for me.
I'm no lawyer

tallmike

Post by tallmike »

RoyGBiv wrote:If I am a "prohibited person" is it not easy for me to log on here or gunbroker or a myriad of other internet sites (or go to a gun show) and buy a gun from a private seller in a local FTF transaction?

Exactly!! How many of us prefer to sell only to those who have CHL's, because we know they can legally possess the weapon we are selling them? The guy in the video who sold to the person after he said he couldn't pass the background check should be ashamed of himself.

Maybe the NRA could support some sort of legislation that helps the FBI open up their call in background checks to citizens so we wouldn't have to pay the FFL fee just to check out a buyer. Not making it a requirement for sales (I do think that RoyGBiv's questions above should be required) but it would open the avenue for regular citizens to be able to check out their buyers without impacting their bottom line.

Sorry folks, a gun is not the same as a chainsaw or we would keep chainsaws around for home protection because they are cheaper.

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

tallmike wrote:

Exactly!! How many of us prefer to sell only to those who have CHL's, because we know they can legally possess the weapon we are selling them? The guy in the video who sold to the person after he said he couldn't pass the background check should be ashamed of himself.

Maybe the NRA could support some sort of legislation that helps the FBI open up their call in background checks to citizens so we wouldn't have to pay the FFL fee just to check out a buyer. Not making it a requirement for sales (I do think that RoyGBiv's questions above should be required) but it would open the avenue for regular citizens to be able to check out their buyers without impacting their bottom line.

Sorry folks, a gun is not the same as a chainsaw or we would keep chainsaws around for home protection because they are cheaper.
Home protection isn't the only reason to purchase a weapon... and
Some guns are cheaper than some chainsaws but ...
Ok ... Machete ... Baseball Bat... are often kept for home protection ... and lots of people use those tools for evil too ... my cousins were beaten to death with a rocking chair in California ... and the furniture store neglected to do a background check.

I mean ... regulating a piece of pipe (barrel) and a spring and a nail (firing pin) anyone can make a gun if they have access to a hardware store. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Shotgun from Canada, where the gun is regulated and illegal) or a .22 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or a "Stapler .38" " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still, as I said, I only sell to CHLs or people I know are qualified to own.... and I'd do the same selling my used refrigerator (lots of kids used to die from used refrigerators) I do not see a need for a law requiring me to do a background check to see if they'd remove the door prior to selling it to them so they could get the copper/aluminum coils etc.. Lots of kids drown in 5 gallon buckets and many drown in toilets too, but creating laws requiring a background check on all parents to see if they put the lid down could prevent most of those ... There's a point where too many laws, just becomes too many laws and all are ignored, like a billboard with too much writing on it.
Last edited by RPB on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

Return to “Off-Topic”