17y/o Killed By Neighborhood Watch/CHL

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

psijac
Posts in topic: 20

Re: 17y/o Killed By Neighborhood Watch/CHL

Post by psijac »

Panda wrote:
Valor wrote:
mojo84 wrote:The belief/fear for your life or fear of serious bodily injury is the standard. At least that is the way I understand it. Is that not the case?
Could it not be argued that Martin feared for his life? He felt he was being followed by a "creepy..." When they confronted one another, Zimmerman began to reach in his pocket for, at the time an unknown object. Martin may have then at that time struck Zimmerman in the face out of fear for his life. Should Martin have waited for a deadly weapon to be produced? Because it is fact that Zimmerman conceded and later used a deadly weapon resulting in death. This is not an open and close case folks. The jurors have a lot to consider.
I can argue that I am afraid of clowns but that doesn't justify me shooting the clown at my neighbors kids birthday party. Not legally at least.
Is that clown currently trying to paint the side walk with the insides of your skull?
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

Panda
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Panda »

Thats a different set of facts but I can't legally shoot/stab/beat a clown because he creeps me out. Not even if he follows me around my neighbor's back yard at the party.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 270

Post by sjfcontrol »

mojo84 wrote:The incredibly frequent breaks for commercials on HLN are driving me nuts. Where is a better place to watch the trial?
http://bossip.com/792068/george-zimmerm ... ted-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Valor
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Valor »

Panda wrote:Thats a different set of facts but I can't legally shoot/stab/beat a clown because he creeps me out. Not even if he follows me around my neighbor's back yard at the party.
If that clown accidently or intentionally exposed his/her concealed weapon, you may not contemplate a legal remedy at that moment. Nevertheless, good commentary all regarding what Martin's legal right for self-defense. The instructions the jurors will be issued and their knowledge and interpretation will be key.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 187

Post by baldeagle »

This has always worked well for me. http://wildabouttrial.com/george-zimmer ... tream.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Valor wrote:Could it not be argued that Martin feared for his life? He felt he was being followed by a "creepy..." When they confronted one another, Zimmerman began to reach in his pocket for, at the time an unknown object. Martin may have then at that time struck Zimmerman in the face out of fear for his life.
No, that claim would have to come from Martin. Plus, there's no evidence to support your hypothetical.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Valor wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:Sorry man, but self-defense does not require any "life threatening" injuries. As a matter of fact, they don't require any injuries at all. No one should have to wait until they've been seriously injured before they are justified in defending themselves.
Agree, but will a jury see it that way? Will they believe a few gashes and lumps justify an adult shooting to death a teenager that was not committing a crime? As Howdy has mentioned regarding Juror deliberations, they may not be privy to the info and understanding us armchair QB’s have.
With an honest and competent judge, the jury would have to see it that way. Judges are supposed to issue complete and accurate charges to the jury that explain definitions and provide instructions. It wouldn't matter if Zimmerman didn't have a scratch on him, but his injuries do support his claim. Martin's reaching for his gun alone is sufficient to support a self-defense claim, if the jury believes that's what happened.

Although I don't know what will happen, it shouldn't take the jury 15 minutes to acquit Zimmerman. The sham of a case presented by the prosecution should have resulted in a directed verdict, but the judge wasn't going to do that and face the political fallout. Good guy, bad guy, merely scratches or life-threatening injuries -- none of it matters in the legal sense and if a jury makes a decision on that basis, the defense counsel didn't do their job.

Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 19

Post by mojo84 »

Watching the gym owner has to be hard on Zimmerman's ego. While his testimony helps support that Zimmerman is/was not a fit accomplished fighter, hearing how soft and non-athletic he is has to hurt.

The prosecutor that is doing the cross of the gym owner is doing a poor job and looked ill prepared.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

fickman
Posts in topic: 40

Post by fickman »

mojo84 wrote:Watching the gym owner has to be hard on Zimmerman's ego. While his testimony helps support that Zimmerman is/was not a fit accomplished fighter, hearing how soft and non-athletic he is has to hurt.
I think the hardest part would be realizing how hard he worked to lose the weight only to gain it back under the stress of the last year.

I lost significant weight a few years ago and gained a small percentage back. Re-losing pounds you've already lost is not encouraging or motivating, but I'm determined! (Thankfully I woke up before I slipped too far. . . just a minor adjustment at this point.)
Native Texian

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 50

Post by Dragonfighter »

Still watching live coverage via Fox's site and this so-called expert they are talking to is obviously trying to spin the case into a GZ lied and killed TM. Unbelievable.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Dragonfighter wrote:Still watching live coverage via Fox's site and this so-called expert they are talking to is obviously trying to spin the case into a GZ lied and killed TM. Unbelievable.

What trial are you watching? What expert is trying to do that? :headscratch
Never Forget. Image

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 50

Post by Dragonfighter »

sjfcontrol wrote:
Dragonfighter wrote:Still watching live coverage via Fox's site and this so-called expert they are talking to is obviously trying to spin the case into a GZ lied and killed TM. Unbelievable.

GZ live feed on Fox's Live site and commentary during recess.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

mojo84
Posts in topic: 19

Post by mojo84 »

Trayvon's dad on the stand now. Should be interesting even though he was not a witness to the incident.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Dragonfighter wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

GZ live feed on Fox's Live site and commentary during recess.
Ah! I thought you were talking about one of the "experts" giving testimony. :tiphat:
Never Forget. Image

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 7

Post by cb1000rider »

Hardly unbelievable for our legal system. Both sides pull out every stop regardless of reality. I just hope that they're not hiding evidence.

Return to “Off-Topic”