It followed me home, can I keep it?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 6

It followed me home, can I keep it?

Post by OldCannon »

ok, it didn't follow me until all the papers were signed. And it weighs about 810lbs. But she's pretty, and I'm gonna keep her :mrgreen:
My 50th bday present to myself :cheers2:
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Re: It followed me home, can I keep it?

Post by AEA »

NICE!
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...sharp ride!!! just in time for the Texas summer...you'll be able to make your own air conditioning...

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Marshal »

Fantastic looking H-D right there!
It is a replacement for another M/C? :)

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Nice looking bike!

Is it authentic - I see no oil leak?

JK - Congrats on the bike. Go get some solid gear and a good helmet. Is this your first bike?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

The Marshal wrote:Fantastic looking H-D right there!
It is a replacement for another M/C? :)
Technically, it's MY first bike.

Between the ages of 12-15, my dad was the safety officer for an AF base up in North Dakota. He taught motorcycle safety classes, but he was also a fan of dirt bikes. He designed a very large motocross track, complete with hairpins, ditches, moguls, and many hills for jumps, then had his buddies in civil engineering build it on some of the vast property the AF had there (with commander's permission -- he was also a fan of dirt bikes :mrgreen: ). We had a couple of Yamaha Enduros and spent MANY weekends doing that (in fact, my weekends there consisted of three things: Working at the base Rod & Gun Club, motorbiking, or riding the snowmobile in the winter...good times).

I never bought any bikes after that. I became a dad just out of high school and joined the military, and it always seemed a struggle just to make ends meet.

Fast forward to early 2001: Harley-Davidson needed an expert in supply chain software and I went up there for a few months to help them get a system set up for their parts delivery supply chain. In the months I spent there, I had a chance to discover a love for their bikes. Not just the design, but the history and the people behind it. Ever since then, I'd had an itch to get one, but just never acted on it. I decided it was time to scratch that itch :thumbs2:

EDIT: Yes, I have boots, jacket, helmet, and gloves. Still need to get some good riding pants (non leather -- too hot). If I ride a bike without a helmet now, my daddy would jump out of his grave and whoop me something fierce.

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Well, then, I suggest you get the "Ride like a Pro" CD and learn some great tips on riding that Harley!
Also, keep in mind that you are "invisible" when you ride; act as if the other cars don't see ya.
Stay in your comfort zone until you learn your bike. (My FIRST hour on a Sportster 1200, after not riding for 25 yrs, I ended up laid out in a ditch. That'll learn ya)
LEARN to stop using that Front Brake. Too many times I tried to panic stop with the rear... worthless. Teach yourself to use that front brake without thinking. Its gonna happen (did again this morning; cut off in Rush hour traffic), and you need to use the brake that will generate 70% of your stopping power.
Remember that H-D stands for "Hundred Dollars". Farkle is great, but not cheap. But you bought the best bike ever for "make it your own" accessories.

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

The Marshal wrote:Well, then, I suggest you get the "Ride like a Pro" CD and learn some great tips on riding that Harley!
Also, keep in mind that you are "invisible" when you ride; act as if the other cars don't see ya.
Stay in your comfort zone until you learn your bike. (My FIRST hour on a Sportster 1200, after not riding for 25 yrs, I ended up laid out in a ditch. That'll learn ya)
LEARN to stop using that Front Brake. Too many times I tried to panic stop with the rear... worthless. Teach yourself to use that front brake without thinking. Its gonna happen (did again this morning; cut off in Rush hour traffic), and you need to use the brake that will generate 70% of your stopping power.
Remember that H-D stands for "Hundred Dollars". Farkle is great, but not cheap. But you bought the best bike ever for "make it your own" accessories.
Thanks, and I plan to spend more than an hour learning the bike. I plan on spending a LOT of time in the local high school parking lot learning to control this bike. It's not a "throw around" bike like a dirt bike. Thanks for the suggestion on the video too!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

OldCannon wrote:EDIT: Yes, I have boots, jacket, helmet, and gloves. Still need to get some good riding pants (non leather -- too hot). If I ride a bike without a helmet now, my daddy would jump out of his grave and whoop me something fierce.
Do us all a favor, and don't get the kind with no seat in 'em. :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

karder

Post by karder »

Those road kings are beauties. Now you just have to plan a nice long road trip! :hurry:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Loving the Road King!

I'm thinking you need a set of Vance & Hines true-dual pipes and 16 inch apes!
No More Signature

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

snatchel wrote:Loving the Road King!

I'm not fond of apes, but I _definitely_ want a set of V&H 2-into-2's with a Screaming Eagle intake.

My neighbors are gonna hate me :woohoo

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Nice looking bike. :mrgreen:
TANSTAAFL

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

OldCannon wrote:
snatchel wrote:Loving the Road King!

I'm not fond of apes, but I _definitely_ want a set of V&H 2-into-2's with a Screaming Eagle intake.

My neighbors are gonna hate me :woohoo

Just keep the baffles in, they won't hate you too much. The Screaming Eagle intake is a MUST.

Here is a handy thing I learned from stop & go traffic in San Diego for 6 years. Harley wants you to use their oil--ok, I get it. But I got sick of my FXSTI overheating in the summer, especially when we would be cruising downtown San Diego. It happened SEVERAL times.. I know it's air cooled, but still-annoying. So after a few years I got sick of the HD oil and did it myself using Royal Purple. I never had an overheating problem again, and according to the temp guage in the oil pan that I installed, the engine ran around 40 degrees cooler.

So, the Royal Purple was a little more expensive.... but I didn't mind the extra bucks since all my honda/yamaha riding buddies quit making fun of my dinosaur air cooled engine :cheers2:
No More Signature

Return to “Off-Topic”