One song that "speaks" to you

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 360

Re: One song that "speaks" to you

Post by WildBill »

Stompin' Tom Connors - "Bud The Spud"

In this video Stompin' Tom looks a bit like John Wayne. :mrgreen:

Last edited by WildBill on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

DocV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DocV »

These days my tastes run along the line of:
[youtube][/youtube]

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

Hey, everyone has a water buffalo...at some point :biggrinjester:

personally, I like the Pirates myself....or the Hairbrush song
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

SewTexas wrote:Hey, everyone has a water buffalo...at some point :biggrinjester:

personally, I like the Pirates myself....or the Hairbrush song
At least, it's not Barney!
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Lou Reed [March 2, 1942 – October 27, 2013] R.I.P.

Last edited by WildBill on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 117

Post by Dadtodabone »

The 1951 Lerner & Lowe Broadway musical "Paint Your Wagon" hit the big screen in 1969. Starring Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood, and Jean Seberg it became Paramount Pictures 6th highest grossing production. With a new libretto/adapted screenplay by Paddy Chayefsky and new music from Lerner and Andre Previn the bleakness that limited the success of the stage production was converted into a frolic the whole family could enjoy!
The stellar box office, $32 million, still left the production in the hole. It wouldn't be until Michael Cimino's "Heaven's Gate" in 1980, that PYW would cease to be the watchword for budget busting over indulgence.
Lee Marvin chose "Paint Your Wagon" and a $1 million salary over the lead role in "The Wild Bunch". He charted briefly here and in the UK with:

Clint Eastwood was inspired to become a director and form his own production company after his experience with the often drunken Marvin and production delays due to bad weather at the filming location. His little remembered excursion into singing:

The inimitable Harve Presnell gave the performance of his career:
Last edited by Dadtodabone on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

What do you do when you're a young enlisted Marine at MCB Camp Lejeune during the summer of 1963? If you are The Essex you write and record a million unit selling Billboard #1 hit!

The beat mimics the sound of the teletypes in the base communications center.
Last edited by Dadtodabone on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

1967 Summer of Love. Psychedelic Motown! With a compelling base line and the Funk Bros. laying it down, this is probably the last "Supremes" hit. Miss Ross would soon take top billing and relegate her former partners to "Pips" status.
Last edited by Dadtodabone on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Dadtodabone wrote:The 1951 Lerner & Lowe Broadway musical "Paint Your Wagon" hit the big screen in 1969. Starring Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood, and Jean Seberg it became Paramount Pictures 6th highest grossing production...
Great post. From this example I would rate Clint Eastwood's vocal abilities up there with Ringo Starr. ;-)

I have always loved the song "They Call The Wind Maria", but didn't know who sang it. I looked up Harve Presnell and discovered that he played the father-in-law character in the movie "Fargo".
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Dadtodabone wrote:1967 Summer of Love. Psychedelic Motown! With a compelling base line and the Funk Bros. laying it down, this is probably the last "Supremes" hit. Miss Ross would soon take top billing and relegate her former partners to "Pips" status.
A great voice, but IMO her best work was with the Supremes. From what I have read, after she left the Supremes, she insisted on being called "Miss Ross". Sometimes success goes to your head.
NRA Endowment Member

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

WildBill wrote:
Dadtodabone wrote:The 1951 Lerner & Lowe Broadway musical "Paint Your Wagon" hit the big screen in 1969. Starring Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood, and Jean Seberg it became Paramount Pictures 6th highest grossing production...
Great post. From this example I would rate Clint Eastwood's vocal abilities up there with Ringo Starr. ;-)

I have always loved the song "They Call The Wind Maria", but didn't know who sang it. I looked up Harve Presnell and discovered that he played the father-in-law character in the movie "Fargo".
Mr. Gustafson, ya! Presnell was a great baritone, unfortunately born 20 years to late to participate in the golden years of American Musical cinema. My children were fans of the TV series "The Pretender" in which he portrayed the father of the very stylish "Miss Parker". Their jaws dropped when we screened "Paint Your Wagon" during a recent birthday celebration and recognized "Mr. Parker".

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

WildBill wrote:
Dadtodabone wrote:1967 Summer of Love. Psychedelic Motown! With a compelling base line and the Funk Bros. laying it down, this is probably the last "Supremes" hit. Miss Ross would soon take top billing and relegate her former partners to "Pips" status.
A great voice, but IMO her best work was with the Supremes. From what I have read, after she left the Supremes, she insisted on being called "Miss Ross". Sometimes success goes to your head.
Per a request via PM, This is a "Pip"
Last edited by Dadtodabone on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The first "musical" that I saw in a movie theater was "My Fair Lady" [1964]. The movie won eight academy awards.
Stanley Holloway sings - "With A Little Bit Of Luck"

Last edited by WildBill on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Byrds - "Turn! Turn! Turn!"

Last edited by WildBill on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

WildBill wrote:The first "musical" that I saw in a movie theater was "My Fair Lady" [1964]. The movie won eight academy awards.
Stanley Holloway sings - "With A Little Bit Of Luck"
Wow ! "My Fair Lady" was the first Broadway show I attended during it's original run. I argued cast selection between the stage and screen productions with my mother until she passed, Stanley Holloway was the only one we ever agreed on. My favorite tune from the show is "On The Street Where You Live". My mother liked Bill Shirley's rendition lip-synced by Jeremy Brett as Freddy Eynsford-Hill from the film while I prefer Leonard Weir's version.

Return to “Off-Topic”