One song that "speaks" to you

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 360

Re: One song that "speaks" to you

Post by WildBill »

Dadtodabone wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Dadtodabone wrote:My favorite version of the John Denver classic. These guys are having fun, and making great music. John and Japanese folk legend Kosetsu harmonize on "Country Roads"
[youtube][/youtube]
John's ability to modulate his voice and the resonance he creates when working with Kosetsu highlight his abilities as a vocalist.
Thanks for the post. I never heard that version.
Here are two of my favorite covers of "Country Roads"
Love Brother Iz, tragic loss. Toots always reminds me of my honeymoon, the wife and I calling each other by our initials so the street hawkers wouldn't be able to use our names, lol, Jamaica!

I remember the Jamaican "street vendors" grapping us and trying to pull into their stalls. Scary! Although I did buy a Bob Marley medallion and a leather hat with dreadlocks. :smilelol5:
NRA Endowment Member

Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 117

Post by Dadtodabone »

WildBill wrote:
Dadtodabone wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Dadtodabone wrote:My favorite version of the John Denver classic. These guys are having fun, and making great music. John and Japanese folk legend Kosetsu harmonize on "Country Roads"
[youtube][/youtube]
John's ability to modulate his voice and the resonance he creates when working with Kosetsu highlight his abilities as a vocalist.
Thanks for the post. I never heard that version.
Here are two of my favorite covers of "Country Roads"
Love Brother Iz, tragic loss. Toots always reminds me of my honeymoon, the wife and I calling each other by our initials so the street hawkers wouldn't be able to use our names, lol, Jamaica!

I remember the Jamaican "street vendors" grapping us and trying to pull into their stalls. Scary! Although I did buy a Bob Marley medallion and a leather hat with dreadlocks. :smilelol5:
I got the knit hat, the wife a "jute" shoulder bag that turned out to be hemp and was not allowed into the States on our return, lol.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I was listening to this on the way home from work ...

Simon and Garfunkel - "Go Tell It On The Mountain"

Last edited by WildBill on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

WildBill wrote:I was listening to this on the way home from work ...

[youtube][/youtube]
I'd forgotten about that one, lol.
My mother thought that it was "miraculous" that "Two nice, young, Jewish boys from Queens would share the Gospel like that".

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Dadtodabone wrote:
WildBill wrote:I was listening to this on the way home from work ...

[youtube][/youtube]
I'd forgotten about that one, lol.
My mother thought that it was "miraculous" that "Two nice, young, Jewish boys from Queens would share the Gospel like that".
When I first heard the song, I didn't realize who was singing it. Art Garfunkel could sing like an angel. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I was listening to this on the way home from work.

Del Shannon - "Runaway" IMO, one of the all-time greatest rock songs.

Last edited by WildBill on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Going back to talltex's comment, here are a couple of Leann Rimes songs -

Last edited by WildBill on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Paul Simon and George Harrison play "Homeward Bound"

NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Louis Armstrong - "Hello Dollly"

NRA Endowment Member

Pacifist

Post by Pacifist »

Sorry, but the litter boxes (both figurative and literal) really need cleaning out right now:

[youtube][/youtube]

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Mavericks are back together - "Born To Be Blue"

Last edited by WildBill on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 16

Post by SQLGeek »

WildBill, my parents had a record player with a few records when I was growing up. One of the ones I used to listen to frequently was a 45 of Runaway. I don't remember what was on the B side but I didn't listen to it much. The other record I remember listening to was Gerry Rafferty's City to City.

I've thought about starting a jazz collection of records because there is something to be said for listening to music on a record. They have more "soul" than an MP3 does, if that makes any sense.
Psalm 91:2

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

"
SQLGeek wrote:WildBill, my parents had a record player with a few records when I was growing up. One of the ones I used to listen to frequently was a 45 of Runaway. I don't remember what was on the B side but I didn't listen to it much. The other record I remember listening to was Gerry Rafferty's City to City.

I've thought about starting a jazz collection of records because there is something to be said for listening to music on a record. They have more "soul" than an MP3 does, if that makes any sense.
According to Wikipedia the B-Side was "Jody". I don't remember every hearing that song.

Many people like the sound of records over digital music. Some prefer tube amplifiers over solid state. I never had a large collection of records, but I have quite a few CDs.

Edited: P.S. I went back and listened to "Jody". If somebody picked this as the A-Side, then nobody would have ever heard of Del Shannon. :mrgreen:
Last edited by WildBill on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

paperchunker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by paperchunker »

I have over 300 vinyl albums from 50's to 70's. My taste in music stopped evolving in 1979. :cheers2:
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

WildBill wrote:"
SQLGeek wrote:WildBill, my parents had a record player with a few records when I was growing up. One of the ones I used to listen to frequently was a 45 of Runaway. I don't remember what was on the B side but I didn't listen to it much. The other record I remember listening to was Gerry Rafferty's City to City.

According to Wikipedia the B-Side was "Jody". I don't remember every hearing that song.

Many people like the sound of records over digital music. Some prefer tube amplifiers over solid state. I never had a large collection of records, but I have quite a few CDs.

Edited: P.S. I went back and listened to "Jody". If somebody picked this as the A-Side, then nobody would have ever heard of Del Shannon. :mrgreen:
Welcome to the Vinyl Music Lovers Society SQLGeek! Digital folks will tell you that the warmth, depth and "soul" that you're hearing is an artifact poor quality sound reproduction. Don't let 'em fool ya.
Sound is a wave, to produce a pure tone, it must maintain that form. Amplifying that wave should be an instantaneous process. In digital media, time has been separated into discrete fragments, and digital data can be derived that describes the instantaneous signal voltage at a point in time. This process is repeated 44,100 times each second in a CD. Compared to an analog amplifier, this is very slow. The analog domain does not use time fragments, all processing is done on a continuous basis. With digital reproduction you wind up with a step pyramid form instead of a smooth wave. Sort of like the pixilation you see when you magnify a digital image. Breaking the wave reduces fidelity.
Depending on the type of amplifier you use, distortion is added to the wave. Tubed/valved amplifiers introduce less distortion due to the way they handle voltage, but are hot, expensive and somewhat fragile. Discrete circuitry using individual transistors increases distortion slightly over a tubed amp, but are much less fragile and lower in cost. Integrated circuits introduce large amounts of distortion, but don't heat up a lot and are cheap. Most quality discrete circuit system will reproduce sound with 0.08% to 0.01% total harmonic distortion. Integrated circuit systems have been rated as low as 0.0001% THD. They achieve this through the introduction of a continuous feedback loop process that resamples the signal thousands of time per second, and while the wave looks smooth on a scope, the ear can hear the difference.

Return to “Off-Topic”