Who is more American?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 2

Who is more American?

Post by OldCannon »

Two Olympians:

One, representing the United States, "proudly" waves the US _and_ Mexican flag after winning the silver medal:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/10/opinion/n ... ?hpt=hp_c1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Usain Bolt, representing Jamaica, stops an interview to pay respect to the US National Anthem:
(DOH!) Wrong link...corrected here...
http://www.allproudamericans.com/Jamaic ... tates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who is more American?
Last edited by OldCannon on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

C-dub

Re: Who is more American?

Post by C-dub »

Both links are the same.

Here is a video of the event. http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2 ... -Interview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here is a short article. http://olympics.yardbarker.com/blog/oly ... o/11390599" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I gotta go with Mr. Bolt!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mommagamber
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mommagamber »

Agreed. Mr. Bolt showed great respect. If only all Americans would be that way.
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

apostate

Post by apostate »

I don't think either is American but it seems clear Mr. Bolt was raised right. I get the impression he would have demonstrated similar respect no matter which country's national anthem was played.

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

apostate wrote:I don't think either is American....
Leo Manzano is not an American? Is a Mexican not an American? Is a Canadian not an American? How about a Chilean? Is a naturalized U. S. citizen not an American? What is an American?

The greatest country in the world is almost alone in not having a one-word noun to describe a citizen (or "native" if you will). We "United States Americans" have taken over the continent, North, Central and South, I suppose.

Jim

SwimFan85

Post by SwimFan85 »

He says he's a Mexican. Why should we disagree? I say revoke his amnesty and send him HOME.
Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston!
The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

57Coastie wrote:
Leo Manzano is not an American? Is a Mexican not an American? Is a Canadian not an American? How about a Chilean? Is a naturalized U. S. citizen not an American? What is an American?

The greatest country in the world is almost alone in not having a one-word noun to describe a citizen (or "native" if you will). We "United States Americans" have taken over the continent, North, Central and South, I suppose.

Jim
Seriously Jim, people have been using the term "American" to denote a citizen of the United States of America for at least a century......including liberals. In the context you're using, it would be like using "European" to describe a French citizen, but nobody else uses "American" in that context. It's not cultural chauvinism or jingoistic nationalism. It's just common usage. Nothing more.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

My apologies, Chris, to you and all the others, other than the poster right after my unwarranted jibe. You are absolutely correct, Chris, and your friendly and rational post is yet another sign of your wisdom. I guess I got out of bed on the wrong side.

I have enough problems here without inventing one more. I have devastated my immense credibility here, and I am sorry. :cryin

Jim

shooter76blue
Posts in topic: 3

Post by shooter76blue »

First of all, of the two people mentioned in the article, there is one and only one "American". And if you want to be specific, the majority of people living in this country are immigrants with a small minority being Native American. You can debate whether he should have displayed the Mexican flag all day long but every AMERICAN should be proud that he won the silver medal for the United States of America...
Shooter

karl

Post by karl »

I like Usain Bolt like everyone else, but more United Statesian than a United Statesian? I dunno if that's actually possible. A lot of Hispanic immigrants bring their respect for their home country to the US. That's cool. But at the games? A little out of place methinks.

The Annoyed Man wrote: Seriously Jim, people have been using the term "American" to denote a citizen of the United States of America for at least a century......including liberals. In the context you're using, it would be like using "European" to describe a French citizen, but nobody else uses "American" in that context. It's not cultural chauvinism or jingoistic nationalism. It's just common usage. Nothing more.
Have you run that opinion by other countries in the Americas?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

Slowplay

Post by Slowplay »

karl wrote:I like Usain Bolt like everyone else, but more United Statesian than a United Statesian? I dunno if that's actually possible. A lot of Hispanic immigrants bring their respect for their home country to the US. That's cool. But at the games? A little out of place methinks.

The Annoyed Man wrote: Seriously Jim, people have been using the term "American" to denote a citizen of the United States of America for at least a century......including liberals. In the context you're using, it would be like using "European" to describe a French citizen, but nobody else uses "American" in that context. It's not cultural chauvinism or jingoistic nationalism. It's just common usage. Nothing more.
Well, you could also refer Mexicans as "United Statesians" as Mexico is also a 'United States' or Estados Unidos, if you will.

I've found folks south of the border understand Norte Americano as being from the USA - Americano is also understood, but there may be an occasional one that gets confused or takes slight offense.

Regarding Manzano, I'm not sure what he was trying to do by acting like he was representing both the USA and Mexico. He might have helped his commercial appeal on Univision, but hurt it in the broader USA market.
NRA Benefactor Member
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance..."
- John Philpot Curran

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

Usain Bolt is a great athlete with class. The other guy is merely an athletic jerk.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
57Coastie wrote:

Jim
Seriously Jim, people have been using the term "American" to denote a citizen of the United States of America for at least a century......including liberals. In the context you're using, it would be like using "European" to describe a French citizen, but nobody else uses "American" in that context. It's not cultural chauvinism or jingoistic nationalism. It's just common usage. Nothing more.
In the United States it is common usage, but for others it may not be. While working in Mexico [for three years] nobody ever asked me if I was an "American". They would always ask if I was from the U.S.

Although there was one man that I ran into at a Christmans party, a Mexican who was president of the local labor union, who asked me, "Are you still the only gringo working there?" :smilelol5:

On the other hand, they would never state that they were "Americans". They were proud to be Mexican.

Asking the Mexicans if they were "hispanic" is a whole different story. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Hola Gato

Post by Hola Gato »

57Coastie wrote:Leo Manzano is not an American? Is a Mexican not an American? Is a Canadian not an American? How about a Chilean?
If they are, then someone from the West Indies is also American by the same standard.
I didn't vote for Obama.
Somebody else did that.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

karl wrote:I like Usain Bolt like everyone else, but more United Statesian than a United Statesian? I dunno if that's actually possible. A lot of Hispanic immigrants bring their respect for their home country to the US. That's cool. But at the games? A little out of place methinks.

How extensively have you traveled? I've travelled and lived abroad some.

In Paris, when I met an english speaking guy once, I asked him, "American?" He answered, "No, Canadian." I have asked spanish speakers in Europe if they were Spanish, and been told "No, Venezuelan. You?" I answered "American," and they understood and were not offended. I have been asked in french, "D'ou estes vous?" and I answered, "je suis Américain," and the other person understood perfectly well that this meant that "Je suis un citoyen des Estas Unis." This thread is the very first time in my life that I've ever seen someone get offended by that usage, and I honestly think that it amounts to making mountains out of molehills.

So yes, I have vetted the term in actual use, and have done it over decades. You may have been offended by it, but in my 60 years, including large parts of it living overseas, I've never heard or seen anyone use the term in any other way than the same one I've used it in, and I have never seen anyone understand it any differently than I understood it.....or get offended by it.

Like I said, it's not cultural chauvinism or jingoistic fervor, it's simply common usage.....just as 57coastie acknowledged above, and it certainly isn't anything worth getting all worked up over. I'm actually a little surprised that you persist in that line of reasoning.

To each his own, I suppose. I'm not going to change a lifetime of speaking the way I speak just to suit you, when everybody else I've ever met, including another friend's Argentinian wife, knows perfectly well what I meant, and it wouldn't even have occured to her to misunderstand or be offended. If you don't want to understand what I mean, then that's on you, because I don't know how I could be any more clear. Have a nice and peaceful afternoon.

Edited to add the following:
I have no opinion on Bolt, except to acknowledge that he can run faster than me. A LOT faster. I am appreciative that he was respectful during the playing of our national anthem, but I would hope that, as an olympian, he would be equally respectful when some other country's anthem was being played. It's the right thing to do, so in that context, Bolt did the right thing. But I don't think that makes him any more or less American than anyone else. Now, as to the other guy.....I'd ask him, who did you compete for, the U.S. team or the Mexican team? Make up your mind, because they only count you once. It is perfectly OK to be proud of your cultural heritage if your family comes from another country, but waving a flag is a sign of national allegiance, and he was waving a Mexican flag. Under which flag does his heart reside? When you go to the olympics as a member of the U.S. Olympic Team, those are Americans (my usage) who are paying your way there. Mexico did not pay for your training. Mexico did not pay for your coaching. Mexico did not pay for your airfare to the Olympics. And Mexico did not pay for your support 8,000 miles from home. Mexico will not be paying for your airfare home. When you get there, it was your effort that got you there, but you go there representing the nation that nourished your ambition and paid to get you there, as a member of that nation's Olympic team. Show the people who got you there a little respect. Don't wave some other country's flag at them, some country which had nothing at all to do with fulfilling your personal ambitions, because....contrary to popular belief some times....it isn't always all about you. If you can't do that, then I am no longer interested in your personal success. When you offend enough people who got you there this time, then maybe they won't be so willing to send you the next time, because you don't represent us.....ALL of us, not just your little cultural corner of the United States of America.

So that's how I feel about that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”