Man Accidentally Shoots Self in Nevada Theater

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

didn't see it posted yet after using search ...

Police say a man accidentally shot himself in the buttocks at a Nevada movie theater during a showing of "The Bourne Legacy."
https://www.google.com/search?q=shoots+ ... 16&bih=619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rgj.com/article/20120814/NEW ... es-theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sparks moviegoer shoots himself in buttocks, apologizes, leaves theater
Later found at a Reno hospital, police say

“Witnesses inside the theater at the time the shot was fired stated that a (man) was adjusting himself in his seat when a gun he had on him discharged,” Sparks police Sgt. Pay Dyer said in statement issued late Tuesday.

The man immediately got up, apologized to those around him and left the theater before police arrived, police said.

He later was found at a Reno hospital where he was being treated for a wound not considered life-threatening.

“The (man) was cooperative with police and admitted that his gun fell out of his pocket and when it hit the floor it discharged,” Dyer said in the police statement.

The man has a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon, Dyer added.

One caller told police that seven to eight shots were fired in the theater, but police later determined only one shot was involved.
Last edited by RPB on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Heartland Patriot

Re: Man Accidentally Shoots Self in Nevada Theater

Post by Heartland Patriot »

RPB wrote:didn't see it pposted yet after using search ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=shoots+ ... 16&bih=619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAToday...not surprising, they consistently carry water for the antis...however, that story is a good example of why using a holster is a good idea.

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

What class teaches to carry a gun unholstered in a pocket ... and .... a gun without a firing pin block safety sop they discharge when hitting the ground .... who even makes those any more?
:banghead:

maybe a North American arms revolver with the hammer over a round instead of the safety notch ... but I can't think of many without a drop safety/firing pin safety; and I'd be surprised if licensees knowingly carried such an animal. I'm hoping the embarrassment will cause a few to check what choices they make in carrying. (Not Grandpa's 50 year old Jennings/Raven/Davis .25/.32/.380 because it's small and goes in a pocket without a holster :banghead: )

He might have had a permit, but obviously he didn't carry on a "regular basis" or he'd have had a holster and a gun belt or a proper pocket holster (Nothing against pocket carry ... WITH THE PROPER HOLSTER !! )
56-year-old victim's injuries ...
He was apparently adjusting himself in his seat when the gun slipped from his pocket and fell to the floor.
As another thread on this forum stated ... it's a lifestyle decision/choice/commitment when you start carrying.

The UK Papers picked it up ... don't read comments there, they still can't understand why anyone would carry a gun to a theater. :roll:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'There was no panic in the theatre as only five people heard the shot
I'm no lawyer

ffemt300
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ffemt300 »

He became "That Guy". Dont ever be "That Guy". :???:

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

The actual accident/incident rate of permit holders is RAZOR thin. Yet, this is the type of story that will see print and label the rest of us as bumbling rednecks...It ain't right. Be carefull out there people.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Topbuilder wrote:The actual accident/incident rate of permit holders is RAZOR thin. Yet, this is the type of story that will see print and label the rest of us as bumbling rednecks...It ain't right. Be carefull out there people.
Exactly :iagree:
I'm no lawyer

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The guy is a DOOFUS!!!

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

Why is it that every since Forrest Gump, everybody seems to get shot in the butt-tocks? :headscratch
Could it possibly be that THAT is now the largest target on the human body? :mrgreen:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

sjfcontrol wrote:Why is it that every since Forrest Gump, everybody seems to get shot in the butt-tocks? :headscratch
Could it possibly be that THAT is now the largest target on the human body? :mrgreen:
Have a friend that when he was drafted during Vietnam he said his DI was always on him about keeping his butt down. He even said 'Private, when you get in-country, if you don't learn to keep your butt down, you'll get shot in it. Sure enough, that was where he got hit. And he didn't see any of that $1,000,000 either. :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Keith B wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:Why is it that every since Forrest Gump, everybody seems to get shot in the butt-tocks? :headscratch
Have a friend that when he was drafted during Vietnam he said his DI was always on him about keeping his butt down. He even said 'Private, when you get in-country, if you don't learn to keep your butt down, you'll get shot in it. Sure enough, that was where he got hit. And he didn't see any of that $1,000,000 either. :lol:
The Army keeps that... "rlol"
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Sounds like another accidental discharge. :cool:
NRA Endowment Member

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

WildBill wrote:Sounds like another accidental discharge. :cool:
I hope I am not alone in doubting the story this guys is telling. I have yet to see a gun go off because it was dropped on the floor. That is completely ridiculous! The media eats this kind of garbage up because it allows them to make the gun an evil villain, with a mind of its own.

This goofball did one of two things. He was either fiddling around with his gun(playing with it) and pulled the trigger as he practiced drawing from his seated position or the moron dropped it while fiddling with it and pulled the trigger when he tried to catch it before it hit the ground.

Either way... He is a complete idiot and they should revoke his carry permit before he shoots an innocent person.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

RPB wrote:didn't see it posted yet after using search ...

What part of the anatomy is that? :???:

DocV

Post by DocV »

Usually, whenever I don't like a movie I just walk out without shooting myself.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
WildBill wrote:Sounds like another accidental discharge. :cool:
I hope I am not alone in doubting the story this guys is telling. I have yet to see a gun go off because it was dropped on the floor. That is completely ridiculous! The media eats this kind of garbage up because it allows them to make the gun an evil villain, with a mind of its own.

This goofball did one of two things. He was either fiddling around with his gun(playing with it) and pulled the trigger as he practiced drawing from his seated position or the moron dropped it while fiddling with it and pulled the trigger when he tried to catch it before it hit the ground.

Either way... He is a complete idiot and they should revoke his carry permit before he shoots an innocent person.
How about this one? http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Off-Topic”