Definition of a Texas LEO's "lawful commands"?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Definition of a Texas LEO's "lawful commands"?

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

As a spinoff to the Keene, TX chestcam of the lady who didn't present DL/Insurance fast enough:

Somewhere along the line, I have heard lawmen use the term "lawful command".

Does Texas law define what lawful commands are?

IMHO, it would seem that asking for your DL/CHL/Insurance card would qualify, but what else can they
ask citizens to do?

If a LEO stops a pedestrian on the street, but the pedestrian walks away, this usually results in the LEO
chasing the person down. If the person has the Miranda right to remain silent, why don't they have the
right to keep walking?

Would it be a lawful command for a LEO to ask one of us to break concealment of our handguns?

TIA / SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Definition of a Texas LEO's "lawful commands"?

Post by WildBill »

Good question. Apparently in Texas there is no such law. According to the link below, some cities have a local ordinance for this crime.

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/2 ... awful.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

A-R
Posts in topic: 4

Post by A-R »

Not the whole answer, but a start based on Federal case law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_v._Mimms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A-R

Post by A-R »

Next, look at police duties:
Code of Criminal Procedure 2.13. DUTIES AND POWERS. (a) It is the duty of every peace officer to preserve the peace within the officer's jurisdiction. To effect this purpose, the officer shall use all lawful means.
(b) The officer shall:
(1) in every case authorized by the provisions of this Code, interfere without warrant to prevent or suppress crime;
(2) execute all lawful process issued to the officer by any magistrate or court;
(3) give notice to some magistrate of all offenses committed within the officer's jurisdiction, where the officer has good reason to believe there has been a violation of the penal law; and
(4) arrest offenders without warrant in every case where the officer is authorized by law, in order that they may be taken before the proper magistrate or court and be tried.
(c) It is the duty of every officer to take possession of a child under Article 63.009(g).
The police "duty" - I assume - was a lawful traffic stop for violation of some provision of the traffic code.

And then refusing to comply with an officers lawful orders given to effect his lawful duties could be:
Penal Code 38.15.  INTERFERENCE WITH PUBLIC DUTIES. (a) A person commits an offense if the person with criminal negligence interrupts, disrupts, impedes, or otherwise interferes with:
(1)  a peace officer while the peace officer is performing a duty or exercising authority imposed or granted by law;
(b)  An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.
(d)  It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the interruption, disruption, impediment, or interference alleged consisted of speech only.
(d) above could be an issue related to the "passive resistance" mentioned in WildBill's link above

A-R

Post by A-R »

All the above of course DOES NOT give the officer right to act like a jerk - he SHOULD still remain professional and courteous.

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

A-R wrote:All the above of course DOES NOT give the officer right to act like a jerk - he SHOULD still remain professional and courteous.
:iagree: Stern, but professional and courteous at the same time.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

lbuehler325

Post by lbuehler325 »

Asking for ID/Drivers License is not necessarily a lawful order. According to our Bill of Rights' 4th Amendment, we have the right to be secure in our person. Unless there is reasonable (and articulated) suspicion, you do not have to give your identity to an officer (that would be an illegal search). Before giving your ID card, you can always ask why you are being detained, and if they say you aren't being detained, you can always ask if you are free to go then. My guess is this grandmother was being detained for some other said violation. That said, it was not necessary to drag the driver from the vehicle. That cop was simply a bully... a government thug with a badge, who mistakes his responsibility to protect and SERVE as license to bully anyone. I hope he feels like a tough guy, because most others do not think he's tough at all.
RLTW!
TX CHL (Formerly licensed in PA, MA, KY)
MOPH, VFW, GOA, NRA, 82nd Airborne Division Association

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

You can refuse to show ID if you're walking around but if you're driving a motor vehicle and refuse to show it, you can and should be charged with driving without a license. Since you have no license, it may be prudent for the cop to prevent you from continuing to drive illegally in his presence.

Similarly, if you're hunting and refuse to show your hunting license, you can and should be charged with hunting without a license, with some very narrow exceptions. And it may be prudent to not allow you to continue to possess whatever you bagged.

lbuehler325

Post by lbuehler325 »

recaffeination wrote:You can refuse to show ID if you're walking around but if you're driving a motor vehicle and refuse to show it, you can and should be charged with driving without a license. Since you have no license, it may be prudent for the cop to prevent you from continuing to drive illegally in his presence.

Similarly, if you're hunting and refuse to show your hunting license, you can and should be charged with hunting without a license, with some very narrow exceptions. And it may be prudent to not allow you to continue to possess whatever you bagged.
I disagree. Random checkpoints involve police officers stopping cars, but there must be reasonable suspicion that the operator is operating a vehicle without a license to be forced to present such. Otherwise a violation must be found to trigger presentation of identification. Once you are stopped for a traffic violation, there is reasonable suspicion (i.e. you cannot signal a turn, so maybe you aren't legally qualified to drive). But a traffic check point is different. Without cause, you are not subject to any search or seizure. I, personally don't wish to be subject to warrentless or unfounded hassling by law enforcement. Granted, this is not the case for granny.
RLTW!
TX CHL (Formerly licensed in PA, MA, KY)
MOPH, VFW, GOA, NRA, 82nd Airborne Division Association

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Texas LEO lawful command:

"Bring me two glazed and one cream filled!"

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Geaux Tigers

Post by Geaux Tigers »

Two donuts and a large coffee is an order not a command.

talltex

Post by talltex »

Geaux Tigers wrote:Two donuts and a large coffee is an order not a command.

depends on how you say it....(command voice) :biggrinjester:
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Definition of order - Give an authoritative direction or instruction to do something.

Definition of command - an authoritative order.

Pretty much the same.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

I usually place my order at restaurants. Maybe I should try a command next time.

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

smoothoperator wrote:I usually place my order at restaurants. Maybe I should try a command next time.
Give me 2 donuts and a coffee!!

Let me see your napkins!!!

Do it now!!!

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “Off-Topic”