Favorite Chain Restaurants

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

smoothoperator
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Favorite Chain Restaurants

Post by smoothoperator »

I prefer local joints but when I travel I like Starbucks, Chipotle and Bonefish. And Tim Hortons, eh?

CowboyEngineer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CowboyEngineer »

I don't care much for chains but I second Kelly's, the chili burger is great. Around Clear Lake, I hit Skipper's, Joe Lee's, Stomp burgers and La Brisa near Bacliff, Top Water Grill and Gilhooley's in my home town of San Leon.
NRA Life Member
Glock 23
Tucker Gunleather "The Answer" IWB

katiethompson

Post by katiethompson »

I don't know if this counts as a restaurant, but Starbucks allows both open and concealed carry (in states where it's legal, obviously).
"When a man who is honestly mistaken nears the truth, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -Thomas Paine

SATX-Scrub

Post by SATX-Scrub »

I'm glad its getting cooler, because I love sitting next to the fireplace a la Madeleine drinking their dark coffee and having a chicken caesar salad with a cup of tomato basil soup. I don't mind cafeteria style ordering when I can help myself to all the fresh bread I can stand!

If I want to get waited on, I'll second the motion for Saltgrass. Their ribeye rocks.
“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

Mr.ViperBoa

Post by Mr.ViperBoa »

If you are ever in Granbury, try Grump's. They are great and make awesome burgers. I am there about once a month doing service work and always stop in. The queso burger is the best.
Los Lupes in Bedford is good. Although I think the manager is a little shady. A buddy of mine is a bounty hunter and has taken him in twice.
The Movie Tavern is good to. The food isnt bad and you get a movie.
Christian/Family man
Veteran
CHL Instructor
http://www.texaschlsolutions.com/

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

We don't have too many here in this town.

We're getting a Longhorn Steakhouse....we have Logan's and Texas Roadhouse, your basic fast food chains, Applebee's and Chili's.

I think Olive Garden is the best of all of these we have. If we want decent food, we have to drive south to Brownsville or west to McAllen.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Birdie

Post by Birdie »

I have been very disappointed in Chili's the last handful of times we've gone. I keep going back expecting it to be as good as 7 or 8 years ago, especially since they have kids eat free nights; forgetting how awful it has been lately. We really don't eat out much, but if we do, I like Carraba's or Tai Pei (not sure if Tai Pei is a chain, but I know there is more than one location).

We do often have the kids, but my kids don't cause a scene or they are removed. There are things I tolerate; misbehavior in a restaurant is not one of them.
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
Benjamin Franklin

DLBConductor

Post by DLBConductor »

Chain Restaurants:
Don Pablo's
Ninfa's
Iron Cactus
Ruth's Chris ($$)
La Madeleine
My very favorite chain restaurant is no more: Steak and Ale. :cryin
(The food was great and the atmosphere generally quiet enough to actually hold a conversation with others at your table!)

My favorite non-chain restaurants are hole-in-the-wall Mexican Restaurants!
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

No one has mentioned "Outback", or did I miss it? The last "Outback" I ate in was many miles from here and a long time ago.

MegaWatt

Post by MegaWatt »

Texas Roadhouse. I've never had a bad meal there. Reasonably priced and a fun place to eat. AND they usually hire great looking waitresses. For those people that rank that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
MegaWatt

NRA Endowment Life
TSRA Life
IHMSA
IDPA

Colt - The original "Point and Click" device.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Carrabba's.

...and while we're on the subject of free range, havoc creating children roaring around at full tilt in retail establishments, Walmart has to rank way up there for their share of these whelps almost always being in attendance...yes, I realize Walmart isn't a restaurant, but good grief why do parents/grand parents, let their repellent offspring plague us with their awful behavior...?

Nothing gladdens my heart more than well behaved adorable little ones - but, undisciplined brats are the scourge of the earth, but to be fair it's not the children's fault. It's the evil parents who believe proper discipline somehow thwarts their precious little darlings...

Now, get off my lawn!

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

MegaWatt wrote:Texas Roadhouse. I've never had a bad meal there.
You haven't been to the one in Yuma... :waiting:

I rarely go to sit-down restaurants unless I'm with friends. Typically I get something to go and take it home because eating without watching TV feels like a waste "rlol"

That being said, here's my favorites...

Tilted Kilt. I've eaten the majority of the stuff on their menu, and just about all of it is excellent. I was EXTREMELY disappointed to learn the one in Grapevine closed. Plus they have Kilkenny beer.. my favorite.

Twisted Root. I had the best restaurant burger of my life at the Roanoke location.

Babe's. Obviously.

Saltgrass. Very good steaks, never had a bad one there... and I stole their Long Island recipe.

Hooters. Love their wings and several other entrees. Too greasy to eat there often though.

...and that's all I can think of right now. I've become disenchanted with most of the restaurants I loved as a kid, seems like quality is WAY down. One day I realized "Wow, these places actually SUCK!". Most of them cater to people who like the idea of the style of food they're selling, but who have no idea of how it should be made "rlol"

EDIT: OH! Chipotle and Freebirds. I love burritos!
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

GRAYWOLF

Post by GRAYWOLF »

Well, it isn't a chain, but we tried a local pizza joint for the first time today (Sat).

As we were walking up, my wife says, "uh oh, they have signs by the door". As we get close enough to see, it is the "unlicensed carry" sign.

Pazzo! in Flower Mound is CHL friendly and pretty good food.

filmtex
Location: Southwest of Austin generally, Southeast of Dallas occasionally, Israel annually.

Post by filmtex »

SATX-Scrub wrote:I'm glad its getting cooler, because I love sitting next to the fireplace a la Madeleine drinking their dark coffee and having a chicken caesar salad with a cup of tomato basil soup. I don't mind cafeteria style ordering when I can help myself to all the fresh bread I can stand!

If I want to get waited on, I'll second the motion for Saltgrass. Their ribeye rocks.
I'm with you Scrub. We also like Las Palapas. There's only about a million and a half "mexican" food places here in San Antonio, most pretty good, but the Las Palapas by us on the NW side
has really good food and a friendly, efficient staff. The manager, Juan, has become a real friend in the past year or two and always takes the time to come over and say hi. And it's only about 5 minutes from us-a real benefit given the traffic!

Statewide, it's hard to beat the reliability of Taco Cabana and any of the Mikeska's BBQ's though Jerry's place in Columbus and Clem's in the Temple area are my favorite. Oops, I see a BBQ battle on the horizon. Sorry......
"Come and take it."

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Return to “Off-Topic”