Considering Federal Law Enforcement Service...opinions?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gordonramsay
Posts in topic: 3

Considering Federal Law Enforcement Service...opinions?

Post by gordonramsay »

Just wanted some opinions.

I'll finally graduate with a degree in Geology and Mathematics this year and I'd like to join some sort of Federal Law Enforcement branch(most require a Bachelors degree, planning on an upcoming Masters Degree). Anyone have any tips or opinions on the subject? I have stellar grades and don't really have any sort of skeletons in the closet. I just want to serve my country like my father did during Vietnam(USAF 380th Bombardment Wing). I considered Navy or Airforce OCS but that would be way to drastic of a change and you don't really get that many opportunities compared to Academy graduates.
NSSA/NSCA

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Considering Federal Law Enforcement Service...opinions?

Post by jimlongley »

They will probably be glad to have you. I took the test a few years back, the only LEO job (which I considered an upgrade compared to my position with TSA at the time) and passed in the 97th percentile. Unfortunately by the time they called me for a physical I had torn my shoulder on the job.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

Do it. Good luck.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

philip964

Post by philip964 »

The FBI generally requires three years of work experience unless you speak Arabic. At least that was the rule five years ago. You can apply and take a test on line with the IRS (they have officers) and they will get back to you in a year. I would suggest going to any job fairs that your school has, the US government is represented there.

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

My cousin in Freemont CA. worked his way up over the years to detective and ultimately US Marshall. I don't know anyone who went straight in with any federal agencies. I'm sure it happens though.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Don't forget about CBP... they are a HUGE branch and are hiring big time right now. I have also considered it..
No More Signature

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

My son in law was LEO for 10 years. 5 of those 10 was going through the process of going federal. He finally got through all of the physical and mental tests that were required and is now working for ICE. Had to tahke a 3 year assignment down Brownsville before he can request a transfer. He has worked his way up to an investigater and really likes it now.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Chris

Post by Chris »

There are tons of enforcement jobs, not just the common ones. The federal forest service, the enforcement side of the IRS, and agents for just about any major government organization out there. You have to decide what area you want to work in.

papajohn1964

Post by papajohn1964 »

Check out usajobs.com
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

philip964 wrote:The FBI generally requires three years of work experience unless you speak Arabic. At least that was the rule five years ago. You can apply and take a test on line with the IRS (they have officers) and they will get back to you in a year. I would suggest going to any job fairs that your school has, the US government is represented there.
:iagree: Once you are in a government job, it is easier transfer to another department or agency than it is to get in from the outside.
NRA Endowment Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

gordonramsay wrote:Just wanted some opinions.

I'll finally graduate with a degree in Geology and Mathematics this year and I'd like to join some sort of Federal Law Enforcement branch(most require a Bachelors degree, planning on an upcoming Masters Degree). Anyone have any tips or opinions on the subject? I have stellar grades and don't really have any sort of skeletons in the closet. I just want to serve my country like my father did during Vietnam(USAF 380th Bombardment Wing). I considered Navy or Airforce OCS but that would be way to drastic of a change and you don't really get that many opportunities compared to Academy graduates.
My brother went AF OTS and just retired as a General (BG Michael W. Miller). The opportunity is there without going the academy route just takes a lot of work to distinguish yourself.

I have a nephew who wanted in fed law enforcement. After much research he discovered the fastest way to get your foot in the door was Border Patrol. At first he dismissed this because he envisioned working a entry point. He ended up tracking for a living in some of the most beautiful mountains I've ever seen. He's worked BP for 5 yrs and never worked an entry point.

He could transfer to about any agency he wanted but as he puts it, "I get paid to hunt, why would I want to do anything else?"
Last edited by jmra on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

papajohn1964 wrote:Check out usajobs.com
For all you guys who struggle figuring these things out, here's the correct pattern open bracket "[" followed by url=http://usajobs.com (the http:// is necessary) followed by close bracket "]" followed by whatever you want to put in the middle, followed by open bracket, /url and close bracket.

So - This is the url or usajobs.com or just type the url and the system will figure it out - not this usajobs.com but this http://usajobs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

jmra

Post by jmra »

baldeagle wrote:
papajohn1964 wrote:Check out usajobs.com
For all you guys who struggle figuring these things out, here's the correct pattern open bracket "[" followed by url=http://usajobs.com (the http:// is necessary) followed by close bracket "]" followed by whatever you want to put in the middle, followed by open bracket, /url and close bracket.

So - This is the url or usajobs.com or just type the url and the system will figure it out - not this usajobs.com but this http://usajobs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. Just edited my post to better describe the link.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I would highly recommend getting on with a state or local agency for about 3 years first. Make it a big one, and shine.

You will learn skills and tactics in dealing with people that can't be trained at the federal level.

My researched conclusions on FLEO: The hours are long and you will move a lot, especially if you promote. Quality of life in regards to time is better at the state and local level. However, the money is better after a few years at the federal level. Also, feds are more limited in how they work. They often times work through the state/local agency as their tac teams are faster to mobilize, and warrants faster to obtain.

All that said, there are some really cool assignments at the fed level. If you find the right wife and can make the family thing work, I recommend going state/local first, excel there and get some investigations experience, and then you'll be that much ahead of other applicants going for the FLEO jobs. The guys that I worked alongside that went federal all still say that the real fun is on patrol at the local/state level, so take that for what it is worth.

Check out http://www.realpolice.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more info.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

pcgizzmo

Post by pcgizzmo »

The FBI will hire you right out of college especially if you have a math background. So will the NSA and CIA.

It all depends on what you want to do and the type of work your looking for. The Department of Homeland Security is always hiring.

There is also the DEA and ATF if you want something really exciting.

I don't know if I wanted to work for the government if I would wait too long. I mean your still young and all but most of the agencies have age cut offs and the younger you get in the quicker you can get a head start and a head up.

if you have it in you join the Navy with a BUDS option and go to OCS then become a Navy Seal. Serve your country for 5-10 years then get out and contract out to a security company or back to the government and make 200k a year.

Best of luck.

Return to “Off-Topic”