Paper Publishes Names, Addresses of Legal Pistol Owners

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Paper Publishes Names, Addresses of Legal Pistol Owners

Post by sjfcontrol »

Jumping Frog wrote:What a crappy NY law! The first news reports simply said NY had passed legislation protecting gun owners privacy rights.

Now, a decent law, like Texas law :txflag: , simply protects the privacy right of all CHL's by default!

Not New York! There, gun owners needs to have an "acceptable reason" to request privacy and they have to "opt in" to protect their privacy. Want to bet that NY will not be very aggressive about notifying gun owners of their option, nor will they make it easy and simple?

From the story linked in the previous post:
On Tuesday, as part of a gun control bill, the state Legislature passed and Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed new regulations that give permit holders several ways to opt out of the public record.

Applicants can ask to be exempted because they are police officers or served on criminal-case juries or are victims of domestic violence. They also can just say they might be subjected to harassment.
By the way, the "subjected to harassment" route is entirely consistent with the thinking in "shall issue" states, and that is an entirely slippery slope of its own because the phrase now becomes subject to interpretation by hostile bureaucrats. For example, in Maryland, a "shall issue" permit is supposed to be available to someone who faces risks where they may need to defend themselves. You or I may interpret that as a small business owner that has to carry cash bank deposits. But the Maryland State Police has interpreted the clause to mean someone has verified and documented threats made against them. Documented as in police reports.

I'll be willing to bet that it won't take long before NY bureaucracy is asking gun owners to document why they would be "subject to harassment" and some bureaucrat will decide whether there request is accepted or not. The government bureaucrats will entirely subvert the intent of the legislation.
I think you mean "May Issue" states, where licensees need a reason to convince a bureaucrat of their need. A "Shall Issue" state issues licenses to anybody who fulfills the requirements.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by VoiceofReason »

When will the people of New York wake up and get rid of the scum politicians that allow this sort of thing to happen?

What kind of people sit back and allow the politicians and liberal media to brainwash them? What kind of people allow the government to make them get a “permit” to exercise their constitutional rights? This is a serious question that I would like someone to explain the answer to me.

I just can’t understand the people of some states. :headscratch :headscratch :headscratch :headscratch
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

sjfcontrol wrote:I think you mean "May Issue" states, ....
Yep, I did. Thanks for the correction; edited my post.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jimlongley »

VoiceofReason wrote:When will the people of New York wake up and get rid of the scum politicians that allow this sort of thing to happen?

What kind of people sit back and allow the politicians and liberal media to brainwash them? What kind of people allow the government to make them get a “permit” to exercise their constitutional rights? This is a serious question that I would like someone to explain the answer to me.

I just can’t understand the people of some states. :headscratch :headscratch :headscratch :headscratch
It's not the state, if it were up to the electorate in the state, as opposed to the city, bambam would not be President, but the city has the vast majority of political representative in the state legislature and very few of them are reasonable.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chasfm11 »

VoiceofReason wrote:When will the people of New York wake up and get rid of the scum politicians that allow this sort of thing to happen?

Political corruption has been rampant in NY for over 100 years. The same way as Chicago. After the last Federal election, there were many posts on this board about just ignoring the Federal government and going on with people's lives. The people of NY are no different. Many of them don't think that anything that they can do would have an impact on elections.

We have very good friends who are from Brooklyn. He was a bio-chemist and she a teacher. They are very well spoken and very lucid even in their advanced years. They don't think in terms of their Constitutional rights. They vociferously support the Liberal agenda right on down the line. They think that I've lost my mind after moving to Texas and wanting to talk about guns. They are very fiscally conservative.

Remember that the unions are a big part of the world in urban NY and NJ. Most of them are more corrupt than the politicians. In order not to have their heads explode from the futility of their situations, people have simply learned to cope. The politicians and unions have a free hand. While we lived in the area, it was clear that dissidents are targeted.

Go there for a visit. Try to talk politics with the local population. You will not find yourself on friendly ground. Very rural NY and NJ are like another planet by comparison. South Jersey has seriously considered secession.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “Off-Topic”