any bow hunters out there?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

any bow hunters out there?

Postby glock27 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Hey all,
I am new to compound bows right now they are pretty much another language to me.

I have looked at a few at Cabelas, I am needing a 70# bow. the one i looked at was a 750$ quest bow only. YIKES~!

I am wanting to spend less than $400 for a package. whisper biscuit, sights, etc.

the guy at cabelas seemed that the "stabilizer bar" that holds the strings in place to keep them from moving was an important piece. im not sure what it is called. how important is this?

im looking online and have no direction of what too look for in a bow. i noticed most package bows have 3 pin sights. does that mean 10,20,30 yards or can you set each individual pin to any distance?

a few i have come across are the PSE stinger, diamond infinite.

are bows that have a long range of poundage adjustment less dependable. mine would be left at 70#, i have seen some that are adjustable from 5-70 seems strange.

just looking for some good insight on a good bang for the buck for a new bowsman, it will be used for deer, hog, coyote, and maybe one day larger game. and lots of backyard shooting. also a good axle size suggestion and what axle size effects other than compact-ability.

thanks
"Dont rush me, i get paid by the hour"
Mailed 7-5-10
9-16-10 PLASTIC!
glock27

Re: any bow hunters out there?

Postby Txfire409 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:14 pm

avid bow hunter here as well. like guns, you can spend alot or a little on a good bow setup. my best advice is to visit texasbowhunter.com, you can get alot of good info there.
Txfire409

Postby pbwalker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:16 pm

+1 on texasbowhunter. I just sold my PSE and am picking up another PSE. I buy used from a friend who upgrades fairly often, but like Txfire409 said, it can be expensive.

You can find a good, decent starter PSE or Bear compound rig that costs less than $500.
Owning a gun is like owning a fire extinguisher. Neither makes you a cop or a firefighter, but both give you and your family a way to hold the line against death until reinforcement arrives.
*NRA Life Member*
pbwalker

Postby Ericstac » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:22 pm

I used to be a bow hunter until someone stole my bows and guns now I no longer hunt.

I bought mine from huntersfriend.com. Great place.

What you called a stabilizer is really a cable rod, and isn't totally necessary.. The stabilizer actually sticks off the frnt, and I would definitely have one on a setup.

The multi pin sights I have used allowedy to set it up for whatever distances you wanted.
Ericstac

Postby Txfire409 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:30 am

or also commonly known as a "string stop". not totally necessary but did make a noticable reduction in noise and vibration on my bow.
Txfire409

Postby CodeJockey » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:33 am

I just recently purchased (for Christmas) a 70# PSE Brute X. The bow sells for $499 in a RTS package. I know thats more than what you wanted, but it's a fantastic bow. Do keep in mind, that when you're shopping for compound bows, even cheap arrows are expensive, and you'll need a release too. I think I paid roughly 70.00 for a dozen carbon arrows, and then $40.00 for a hard case, and then $40.00 for a release (athough those start about $20).

To stay fully within your $400 budget, you will probably want to look for a used bow, and then pay for a tune-up / setup on it.
Always watch your six!
NRA Life Member
CodeJockey

Postby Txfire409 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:53 pm

also keep an eye out at Academy. I bought a Martin Cheetah fully rigged there on clearance for $229. Regular price was $400.
Txfire409

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:20 pm

I have a Bear and Jennings compound bows I bought new years ago. They are a lot of fun to shoot. I really want a nice Bear recurve. It can get expensive. Arrows aren't cheap either, but get a good target thats not so hard on them for practice.
Chris

Postby glock27 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:34 pm

hey guys thanks for the feedback I have been looking at these bows in comparison.

they are all similar in size for the most part. weight is the same. i would like a few suggestions/opinions on these bows if you have any factual feedback.

all in 70# i will be shooting around at 65#+/-

they are all different but to the untrained eye/game animal they are the same.

any input on these?

i am leaning towards the PSE just as i know it is a higher end brand (ive read).

i dont have a lot of input on the others it just seems that PSE has a much better marketing than the other brands it seems to be more popular and i see more websites it seems to be at the higher end of brands\

any input appreciated thank you

all under 399

pse stinger 3g 2013

red head kronik

parker blazer

bear outbreak

bear encounter

damond infinite edge
Mailed 7-5-10
9-16-10 PLASTIC!
glock27

Postby glock27 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:48 pm

bump

bow hunters out there?
Quote glock27 Re: any bow hunters out there?
by glock27 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:34 pm

hey guys thanks for the feedback I have been looking at these bows in comparison.

they are all similar in size for the most part. weight is the same. i would like a few suggestions/opinions on these bows if you have any factual feedback.

all in 70# i will be shooting around at 65#+/-

they are all different but to the untrained eye/game animal they are the same.

any input on these?

i am leaning towards the PSE just as i know it is a higher end brand (ive read).

i dont have a lot of input on the others it just seems that PSE has a much better marketing than the other brands it seems to be more popular and i see more websites it seems to be at the higher end of brands\

any input appreciated thank you

all under 399

pse stinger 3g 2013

red head kronik

parker blazer

bear outbreak

bear encounter

damond infinite edge
Mailed 7-5-10
9-16-10 PLASTIC!
glock27